I never see any other people M.D.ing.

MCH02

Around here I have yet to see anyone else out M.D.ing. Even before I got into it, I never recall seeing anyone out. Is it more popular in other parts of the country? I dont mind at all because it just means more ground that hasnt been hunted for me, but also people look at me like Im some sort of wierdo, because I suspect they also never see anyone else out doing it. Im located just west of the twin cities in Minnesota. People stare at me so much, its to the point that I feel a little goofy about being seen, and tend to skip over parks and such if there are people around, or next to a busy street. Anyone else feel this way at first?

Everyone feels that way, but you'll grow outta it. I get around by hunting at night 95% of the time.

I've only seen four other people detecting since I started in May of '07, before that, I had only seen one person detecting, and that was back in the '70s. My area has at least two detecting clubs, and from browsing their websites, there are quite a few members. There are more people out there than you realize. For myself, once I start detecting, I feel less self-conscience, it's when I'm getting my gear out of the truck, and people are looking like "What's that guy doing?" that I feel kind of awkward.

Go to South Beach early in the morning and you'll see at least one maybe two. I always constantly run into others there.

After a while, you find others... I found a couple right here on the board that detect in an area I will be relocating to... takes time. RickO

I had two guys (MDers) approach me at an elem. school. They invited me to their MD club meeting. Also had a local cop stop one day, and found out he was a MDer. I have only seen one other MDer besides these, and I was not able to stop that day to talk to him.

I have been at this hobby for around 20 years & I never see anyone detecting. I only know of 2 people that detects around here and one of them just sold their detector. Oh well more for me ;). At first you will feel sort of funny at people watching you detect but it won't bother you after awhile. People aren't thinking you are some kind of weirdo they are just curious of what you are doing & finding. If it makes you alittle paranoid detecting around people put on some headphones, for some reason it helps. Steve.

I ran into..............

......a couple yesterday that were "Geo caching". Their tool of choice was a hand held GPS. BTW, they were unsuccessful too.

Everyone feels that way, but you'll grow outta it. I get around by hunting at night 95% of the time.

I haven't grown out of it. I may start hunting at night too. :roll:

Around here I have yet to see anyone else out M.D.ing. Even before I got into it, I never recall seeing anyone out. Is it more popular in other parts of the country? I dont mind at all because it just means more ground that hasnt been hunted for me, but also people look at me like Im some sort of wierdo, because I suspect they also never see anyone else out doing it. Im located just west of the twin cities in Minnesota. People stare at me so much, its to the point that I feel a little goofy about being seen, and tend to skip over parks and such if there are people around, or next to a busy street. Anyone else feel this way at first?

If you are not going to the busiest areas like the ones you mentioned.....you are missing out. For clad hunting the areas with most people usually also produce the most clad and sometimes other goodies. Get up a little earlier and go to exactly where all those people
gather... I have been out 6 times this month...my lowest clad day is $5.... I also have found 2 silver rings this month along with one silver dime, some wheaties and a gold pendant... I will hit $500 in clad by end of month for year....

These are the areas I visit....and visit....and visit....

I know the feeling. Apart from when out on a club dig, it's unusual to see other people detecting in the fields. Especially when you consider the number of people detecting in the UK, and that it's a lot smaller country than the US.

What do you care what others think ? You should know who you are and where you are going. Other people dont bother me but I have had a couple guys refuse to go into certain places because people would look at them.
You don't know the people and probably never will see them again. Also, they sometimes wish they were having fun & adventures like you are.
Don't let anytone rob you of the fun in detecting, steve in so az

I hate to be watched. That's why I like to hunt at dawn and end it before any watchers arrive. Today my hunt went longer than usual and 4 or 5 people walked by slowly. They were cool - didn't interupt me or anything. Still - I felt like a geek. (Or geekier than usual.)

The problem I find if there are people about is, I have to stop and have a chat. I then lose detecting time :)

I've got a least a little social anxiety, but at least when it comes to doing this, i'm fine. I have people look at me all the time. Even when i go in the morning (which i like to do...earlier the better) i still have lots of walkers come by. Wearing the headphones seems to help keep people out of your hair. I also tend to lay off of digging giant holes when people are close bY! This morning i was digging up my second giant pop can (how can these get that deep!) and a lady was watching from the bench. I thought i was going to have to get a bobcat out there to remove this one.

Ended up with a 1.76 in clad and what i thought was a gold ring, but now i think its junk.

Go in the morning/late evenings... Too hot during the day anyways.

I've never seen anyone outside of the beach detecting... but by the state of some of the areas tot lots on the goods, I figure there must be some others hunting the dirt as well.

You might not think there are many md'ers around your area but there is a good chance that there are. I don't know of any clubs within more than fifty miles of me. I live in a small town and had never seen anyone metal detecting. In a recent yard sale, I sold my old metal detector (junky bounty hunter) and encountered 2 md'ers just in my neighborhood of less than 100 houses! I am going have to start having to protect my sacred spots!

I guess it is just human nature to feel uneasy when someone is watching you detect. If you want to conquer the fear, just head to the beach. You see how many people are around Night Hawk when he snaps his pictures. Just smile and keep getting up. The coins and jewelery make it easier each time you do it.:D And there is a whole lot less chance of people bothering you when their is a crowd around. Most people are just curious about what you are finding.:D

What do you care what others think ? You should know who you are and where you are going. Other people dont bother me but I have had a couple guys refuse to go into certain places because people would look at them.
You don't know the people and probably never will see them again. Also, they sometimes wish they were having fun & adventures like you are.
Don't let anytone rob you of the fun in detecting, steve in so az

Well said Steve...the areas that contain the coins have to be visited by people! My best tip for those of you is to buy a pair of mirrored by lighted toned sunglasses... Sometimes that will help with the ones that want to chew up your detecting time with boring chatter. Much easier to ignore people with the sunglasses...I prop my about 2 inches above my eyes...and use them as needed...for people and sun...

I hunt in the rain, snow, sleet... I have hunted in packed and empty areas...of course when I hunt I prefer less like anyone else....try the sunglass idea...

Hi MCH2O
I live in the Southeast suburbs of the twin cities.
In the past several years I have come across about
a half dozen MDers. I guess the best tip to avoid being
watched is be there right at the crack of dawn and leave
as the area get busier.
Good Luck to you and may all your beeps be good ones.
Douglas

Back
Top Bottom