Advice

0z0ne

WELCOME!

So, my good fellows, I have come across a very promising piece of property that used to be the site of an old school.

I don't know why I am seeking advice on asking for permission in this particular instance, but here is the thing....

It's a rather large parcel of residential property near to a main road, but the house itself is set far back from it. Now I know the address to this house thanks to google maps, but I now question how to ask these people if I can swing my machine around their yard. Should I take that long awkward walk (at least 300-400 yards) up the driveway, to knock upon the door? Or should I send them a letter?

I suspect it'd be less weird if I just walked up and asked, rather than implant the idea that I found out about the land's potential (and the resident's home address) online...

What would you do?

I should also add that due to the somewhat remote location of this property, these people may be fond of their privacy.

Thanks!!

0z

i'd say just be honest and sincere about it and ask in person. it would probably be better if you told them you learned there used to be a school there years ago and that's what's piqued your interest in the property in the first place.

as for sending a letter, nope. way to easy to ignore it or to say "no" to. face to face is always better. it won't guarantee you a "yes" answer, but much better chance than any letter. :yes:

Definitely in person. I understand about the distance from the road to the house. Makes their home seem much more private. I'd try to look good and smile a lot. I'd just drive up their driveway, get out and knock on the door, introduce myself and my hobby, explain that my research shows there used to be an old school on the site and ask them if they know anything about it and where it stood. Hopefully they will be cool and talk about it. Then I'd ask if I'd to use my metal detector to locate where the school likely stood and see if I can find any interesting artifacts. Should be a high probability of yes since you demonstrate some historical interest in their property.

I agree that it should be a face to face contact. Hugo is right, perk their interest in the historical significance of their property. This might be just the ticket to open the door. Good luck. The site sounds promising.

I agree with the others. Face to face and let them know why their property interests you. Let then know you will show them anything that you find. If you get permission and find some goodies and the landowner shows an interest in something you dug, offer to give it to them. Word will spread and you build trust in an entire neighborhood.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I will see about getting over there on my next day off to try it out! I think I'll park my car on the street though, as my car is a real beater....ha ha.

We shall see what happens. I'm pumped!

0z

good luck!!! I too have found that walking up to the door and knocking at older farmhouses etc.. works well. Especially if you go in with a genuine friendly attitude...

let us know how you do!

Back
Top Bottom