VDI influencing factors

As far as I'm aware no machine can tell clad from silver.The machine takes in many factors to determine a vid number, and one is size,and shape.clad and silver are the same.

I can, silver looks really sweet when it's in the hole.....clad sucks!

I ran manual around 24 to 26.everything I read said don't run auto or you'll lose depth
If your in bad ground or bad environment (emi) and your machine is saying it wants to run say 15. Having a manual setting of 24 - 26 was probably your issue? I have good ground for the most part. But there are sites I'll run auto at A or even -3 to get it to run good. On the other hand I have a few places I can run 30 sens.

Very few hunters around here,and from what I've seen its all lower end machines.Lots of lemonsticks.I don't know,still haven't picked out a bucket truck yet,and almost got the wife convinced on Sundays for hunting,I was told last week I wouldn't have much time to hunt this year with the big bill coming for our business.I was gonna get rid of the Sig to someone who would have more use of it than I probably would,still up in the air on that one.I couldn't say enough about it no matter what someone else thinks.But if it goes it goes,and I'd probably replace it with a Etrac and start over with it,give it another try.

Very few hunters around here,and from what I've seen its all lower end machines.Lots of lemonsticks.I don't know,still haven't picked out a bucket truck yet,and almost got the wife convinced on Sundays for hunting,I was told last week I wouldn't have much time to hunt this year with the big bill coming for our business.I was gonna get rid of the Sig to someone who would have more use of it than I probably would,still up in the air on that one.I couldn't say enough about it no matter what someone else thinks.But if it goes it goes,and I'd probably replace it with a Etrac and start over with it,give it another try.
I know about business expenses. You can write your metal detectors off as an expense if you have the need to locate wires or pipes in the ground from time to time.

I tried it all.I probably gave up too soon on it,but it was terrible.Not the Etrac,the ground.Seems like every yard had whole cars burried in them.I just didn't see what else I could do.I've said before I'd buy another fbs machine,but I couldn't take it back to those places.Those houses had caskets or something in the ground.But minelab does make a well built machine,feels sturdy.

You must have been set on AUTO sensitivity ..................sorry I couldn't resist ;)

Best advice I can give on this is the same jewel passed on to me by the owner of the shop I bought my machine in ...... a guy with 30 years of digging under his belt. "Learn to listen to your machine ... the numbers give you the idea of what is there, your ears will tell you if have been paying attention." In other words each machine has its own tendencies, and only repeated use will teach you those clues. For me, yes I can tell clad from silver on most dimes .... and the kid who follows me around one neighborhood has also learned .... "oh, that sounds good!"

If you do get rid of sig add me to list have 2 other guys Im on the list if they sell but would rather have one sooner than later

I'm hunting an old site now where sound will only get your attention, but the numbers will tell you to recover or not. This is a small park in a nearby town that has produced many barbers, Indian Heads and V-Nickles. DCK John and I have hunted this little site very hard with our E-Trac, CTX 3030, AT Pro, Deus and V3i over the last few years. Needless to say whats left is the tough stuff. Same goes for our old city park. Today when we hunt you listen for a sound only to get your attention and then you use the VDI to determine if you should dig or not. We both are now recovering targets that sound like total !!!! but watch for the right VDI numbers and we're pulling the keepers.

For those who hunt ONLY by sound you're missing good stuff. For those who are hunting ONLY by VDI you're missing stuff.

I tend to rely on the SignaGraph on the DFX more than the actual numbers. When I get a decent tone even if it's mixed but has high tones in there, I will check the SignaGraph and then the VDI Numbers. The DFX has very good discriminatory abilities. I love the SignaGraph.

I have found that in my experience I tend to trust sound accompanied with depth to determine if a target might be a keeper or not. Regardless, I dig it all but I don't get all "happy dancy" over every high tone. :grin:

I've never owned a whites but here good things..would anyone say the dfx is just as good as av3i?..just for my own reference,not to say ones better but almost alike.

Having owned both I'd say the V3i was more accurate at a deeper depth, but, they both are very close as far as being able to tell the difference between say a clad dime and a silver dime.

Where I found the Whites VDI system really shines is in the lower gold region.

I've never owned a whites but here good things..would anyone say the dfx is just as good as av3i?..just for my own reference,not to say ones better but almost alike.

I doubt that anyone would say that the DFX is better than the V3i since the V3i has 3 frequencies that can be run individually or simultaneously, it's deeper and the technology is newer however, the DFX is a great machine and you can pick them up for $400 versus at least double that for a V3i. I would own a V3i if I could afford one. I do think however that some people freak out about all the settings on the V3i and stick with what they know. The menus are pretty easily understood on the DFX and only a few things require tweaking from the stock programs to get very good performance.

Back
Top Bottom