Unusual Observation (maybe??)

Pappy Griff

Forum Supporter
On my last hunt, I hit a yard that was turning up coins in a fairly centralized area. Nothing special, and no silver. However, of the 21 coins I pulled, 14 had mint marks (13 "D", 1 "P"), 3 clearly did not, and 4 are still unreadable. It almost looked like someone took daddy's coin collection outside and pitched it! Does this seem strange? Or do you normally pull coins with mint marks? I would think it would either be more without a mark at all, or an even spread.

Just ruminating a bit, any thoughts??

I would think, due to your location, you would see more P mint marks. Whereas we in the west would see more D mint marks. But who knows? People move around and you're liable to see them from all over. That does seem to be very one sided though.

Coins, like paper money, moves around the country in leaps and bounds. I used to track bills using the 'where's george' website and within a week or two a bill that I entered could end up on the other end of the US.

"S" coins are generally more rare. Philadelphia (no mint mark) and "D" are both quite common.

If you found a coin with a "P" mint mark, it was a war nickel and is worth some money because it is 35% silver.

Here in Kansas most of the coins I find are 'D' mint marks. I did find a 1916 Mercury once and hoped it was a 'D' but it turned out to be an 'S' mint mark. The only Seated Dime that I ever found was a 'CC' Carson City.

Back
Top Bottom