First Wheatie!

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
We were out hunting an old school built in the early 1900's. Found clad on clad, and an old little metal calandar from 1969. LOL! Got home and threw all the coins in the tumbler and noticed we had a wheat penny in the mix! 1946D! Definitely made the night! Gave us a little hope that there are still some old coins left in the old school!

Where there are wheaties... There is silver!!! Congrats

Thats encouraging! I was starting to wonder if I would EVER find a silver haha!

How deep typically do you usually find silvers sitting? I know there's no exact science to it. but a general idea would be appreciated!

Thats encouraging! I was starting to wonder if I would EVER find a silver haha!

How deep typically do you usually find silvers sitting? I know there's no exact science to it. but a general idea would be appreciated!

It all depends... Most of the silvers I have found in public places(parks, schools etc) around here are fairly deep(5-10”)unless masked by junk... I have found silvers in curb strips and private yards right under the surface. I found an 1889 V nickel today right under the surface! Ha

Just keep at it! It’s pretty overwhelming and discouraging but you will do it! Just remember three things to finding old coins is Location, Location, Location. Do research... Good luck!

We were out hunting an old school built in the early 1900's. Found clad on clad, and an old little metal calandar from 1969. LOL! Got home and threw all the coins in the tumbler and noticed we had a wheat penny in the mix! 1946D! Definitely made the night! Gave us a little hope that there are still some old coins left in the old school!

I've found a few of those odd little mental calendars too. If it is what I am thinking of, they were made to attach to your wristwatch band.

I've found a few of those odd little mental calendars too. If it is what I am thinking of, they were made to attach to your wristwatch band.

I was wondering what it was! Looking at it, I can see what you mean by it being attached to your watch! Kinda cool to find something 50 years old with a date on it!

It all depends... Most of the silvers I have found in public places(parks, schools etc) around here are fairly deep(5-10”)unless masked by junk... I have found silvers in curb strips and private yards right under the surface. I found an 1889 V nickel today right under the surface! Ha

Just keep at it! It’s pretty overwhelming and discouraging but you will do it! Just remember three things to finding old coins is Location, Location, Location. Do research... Good luck!

Thanks! I definitely have some more research to do, but lately We have been sticking to older schools, churches and parks. All built back in the early 1900's and still maintained today. Not many people around here metal detect, especially not in the tiny one stop sign towns we have been hunting in LOL. I knew I hit virgin ground when I dug an Ike Dollar coin about 2 inches deep! As exciting as that was, I still want to get into some silvers! Wheaties are good sign LOL

Super congratulations on your wheat cent! They are definitely fun to find, and there's nothing quite like the excitement of your first. :woot:

Hopefully we find a few more today! Going to an old house that has been abandoned for the better part of 30 years, built in the early 19 somethings LOL. Hopefully we find some old silvers and some liberties!

Where are the pictures ? We must see pictures.

whoops! Sorry bout that! Accidentally kissed one of them with the digger so we had to skip the face shot LOL

Attachments

• 100_3646.jpg
    100_3646.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom