Bench Test on AT Max

StClair72

I couldn't get out today so I decided to do a bench test on my AT Max. Here is what I got in coin mode with the stock coil.
1845 large cent- 81
1857 flying eagle- did not register
1879 IHP- 70
1975 Lincoln- 81
1967 quarter- 85
2002 dime- 80
1976 nickel- 52
Zero mode with stock coil was the same except the flying eagle rang in at 61.
I was very shocked that the flying eagle didn't ring in on coin mode.

That is pretty much what I am getting in the ground except that I have never found a flying eagle with the AT Max. If I do get a flying eagle I will shout it out! Yea! Oh well. Keep on plugging.
That is one reason I use the "zero" mode. It lets you decide about all the targets. However a lot of signals in the sixties are aluminum:?:.

It’s mostly because of the difference in coin composition for Flying Eagle cents compared to most of the later small cents. You’ll find that “Fatty” Indian Heads (1859-1864) won’t show up in “coin” mode on the Ace and AT series, either, for the same reason. The Flying Eagles and Fatty Indians are 88% copper and 12% nickel, while the later cents are 95% copper. The higher copper content means greater conductivity, and therefore a higher VDI that sneaks into the coin mode range. If I remember right, Flying Eagles rang up in the low 60s on the Garretts.

When I ran my AT Max, I used Custom mode with nothing notched out and my iron disc up between 34-44 (max) depending on the site. If you’re interesting in finding older coins, you’ll miss really good stuff if you use the stock coin mode. Many old trade tokens and other goodies ring up in the 55-70 range as well!

Your results are close to mine also. Things such as oxidation on the target, orientation to the coil, depth, ground balance and minerals can alter the VDI numbers on all metal detectors.

I couldn't get out today so I decided to do a bench test on my AT Max. Here is what I got in coin mode with the stock coil.
1845 large cent- 81
1857 flying eagle- did not register
1879 IHP- 70
1975 Lincoln- 81
1967 quarter- 85
2002 dime- 80
1976 nickel- 52
Zero mode with stock coil was the same except the flying eagle rang in at 61.
In coin mode maybe the 61 area is discriminated out? On my Ace 400 in coin mode that area where 61 comes in is blocked out.

Still don’t get why I ‘d give up or “upgrade” my ATP for one of these.

In coin mode maybe the 61 area is discriminated out? On my Ace 400 in coin mode that area where 61 comes in is blocked out.

Yes, 61 is definitely discriminated out in "Coin Mode" on the AT Max, just like the Ace 400 and AT Pro.

Back
Top Bottom