When it comes right down to it...

IDXMonster

Elite Member
No matter how many videos are made,no matter how many comparisons are made,no matter who says what works best for them...it all comes down to what works for YOU. Sometimes finding that “perfect machine” never happens for someone,whether it be lack of time to spend with it,lack of funds to spend on it or a lack of any good sites. I’ve been fortunate to have found my perfect machine in the CTX,it’s a pretty well known thing. Being the guy who is always looking for an edge and wanting to learn more,I opted to try the EQ800 this spring. After all of the stories of people going to where their CTX couldn’t find anything anymore and finding more coins,I was intrigued! However,it’s just not the case here. The 800 finds coins just fine,that’s not the issue. It just hasn’t made my old worn out haunts “viable” again. So far I have 20 hours total running time in 4 different locations and not one high conductor has come to light. Running it in a more modern place it found clad coins to the 6-7” level no problem at all,there just aren’t any deeper coins there,it’s a newer park. That visit was just for testing purposes. Yes,I know what I’m doing...no,I didn’t forget to turn it on.
I like the machine overall,it still needs that darn clock and a pinpoint trigger but it’s easy to run and easy to navigate the controls. I like the variable volume on the tone bins (CTX speak),the different recovery rates and the ability to pop into a single freq to deal with EMI if needed,albeit at the expense of collecting bottle caps. The speedy noise cancel is also nice,ask anyone who came from FBS! I obviously in all actuality know very little about this machine so far,but I do know one thing. Hunting behind the CTX,run the way I run it,the 800 is going to be on a very meager diet of coins. I’m happy about that to tell the truth,it means that the CTX is everything I thought it was,and the results show. 12-13 hours of hunting with the CTX this year so far and 9 silver coins...including TWO Walkers that were BOTH in with iron(the second Walker still has the rust stain on it). The only way to know if the 800 will stay on board is if I now take it to places I think DO still have accessible coins and look at the results. Setup and operation is a breeze,it should find them if they are there. I rarely dig trash with the CTX because of the resolution of both the FE side and the CO side...it tells the operator a lot about the target(again,for those who haven’t run FBS with the dual number readout). More trash with the 800 may yield more coins,time will tell...but I am not willing to kill myself over a coin or two. I just have better things to do.
Some really enjoy their AT Pro,or their eTrac,or their Kruzer,etc. As long as it is doing what YOU want it to do,that’s all that matters in the end. I now have 5 machines that are good at what they do. But there’s only one that does what matters to ME the best. As time goes by I’ll post back anything I think might be relevant to another EQ user,but don’t hold your breath. There are far better operators of the EQ out there to take advice from! Just get ALOT of hours on the machine you like,it doesn’t get any better than that.

Yep, that being said I still like my At pro!
I do like the Nox 800 and my Soveriegn!
I even like my Ace 250 at tot lots.
They all have different personalities.:yes:

Well put IDX, those were my thoughts exactly. When I had the 600, I took it to my most worked out site. Surprise surprise, after about 20+ hours hunting, I had found one wheat and NO silver coins. I brought it to other sites and found silver, but just about ZERO at the number one spot I had lined up for the initial run of the equinox. This is the same ballfield I pulled a walker out of the ground with the CTX and over a dozen flat nails! You may remember the thread...https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245803
It did little to nothing for me in terms of producing where other machines stopped. I do hope to try an 800 someday though. I like my AT gold and Explorer combo. Good luck man and keep up the good work!

Very well put Kevin. Like I have said the Nox will not ever replace my CTX. Its biggest asset for me is it allows me to hunt when my shoulder is giving me hell. (Well that and the Nickel thing). Trapper

No matter how many videos are made,no matter how many comparisons are made,no matter who says what works best for them...it all comes down to what works for YOU. Sometimes finding that “perfect machine” never happens for someone,whether it be lack of time to spend with it,lack of funds to spend on it or a lack of any good sites. I’ve been fortunate to have found my perfect machine in the CTX,it’s a pretty well known thing. Being the guy who is always looking for an edge and wanting to learn more,I opted to try the EQ800 this spring. After all of the stories of people going to where their CTX couldn’t find anything anymore and finding more coins,I was intrigued! However,it’s just not the case here. The 800 finds coins just fine,that’s not the issue. It just hasn’t made my old worn out haunts “viable” again. So far I have 20 hours total running time in 4 different locations and not one high conductor has come to light. Running it in a more modern place it found clad coins to the 6-7” level no problem at all,there just aren’t any deeper coins there,it’s a newer park. That visit was just for testing purposes. Yes,I know what I’m doing...no,I didn’t forget to turn it on.
I like the machine overall,it still needs that darn clock and a pinpoint trigger but it’s easy to run and easy to navigate the controls. I like the variable volume on the tone bins (CTX speak),the different recovery rates and the ability to pop into a single freq to deal with EMI if needed,albeit at the expense of collecting bottle caps. The speedy noise cancel is also nice,ask anyone who came from FBS! I obviously in all actuality know very little about this machine so far,but I do know one thing. Hunting behind the CTX,run the way I run it,the 800 is going to be on a very meager diet of coins. I’m happy about that to tell the truth,it means that the CTX is everything I thought it was,and the results show. 12-13 hours of hunting with the CTX this year so far and 9 silver coins...including TWO Walkers that were BOTH in with iron(the second Walker still has the rust stain on it). The only way to know if the 800 will stay on board is if I now take it to places I think DO still have accessible coins and look at the results. Setup and operation is a breeze,it should find them if they are there. I rarely dig trash with the CTX because of the resolution of both the FE side and the CO side...it tells the operator a lot about the target(again,for those who haven’t run FBS with the dual number readout). More trash with the 800 may yield more coins,time will tell...but I am not willing to kill myself over a coin or two. I just have better things to do.
Some really enjoy their AT Pro,or their eTrac,or their Kruzer,etc. As long as it is doing what YOU want it to do,that’s all that matters in the end. I now have 5 machines that are good at what they do. But there’s only one that does what matters to ME the best. As time goes by I’ll post back anything I think might be relevant to another EQ user,but don’t hold your breath. There are far better operators of the EQ out there to take advice from! Just get ALOT of hours on the machine you like,it doesn’t get any better than that.
Great write up Kevin. I had a great run with my Ctx but I ended up selling it this last winter. I found that in my dirt and for my hunting style the Equinox 800 does just as good and maybe a bit better separating in trash. I do dig more trash but I don’t think it’s the machine. I’m still trying to figure out those “iffy” signals. I need the extra exercise anyway! Lol The things I do miss are the depth readout and the trigger pinpoint... Good luck this year!

Also I’m looking at getting the new Nokta/Makro machine when it’s released. Looks pretty impressive for the $$$...

Great points my friend. I do I like the Nox but do I LOVE it probably not but I truly enjoy it as it’s made it fun for me in many places I’ve hunted before. I like the single frequency option, speed and iron bias “at times” but hate the depth meter, TID and combined id format. I plucked over 85 silver with it last year and put hours upon hours on it but man did I dig trash. Once a new 3030 flagship comes along with some of this technology I’m sure it will go up for sale, till then I will continue to enjoy the power but as of late I haven’t really used it as I like the consistency of the CTX. Now we really need to take in consideration the comparison was from going from the 3030 to the Nox. ALL the hype or most of it is coming from mid level machines over to the Nox. It’s not a real fair comparison but I believe the Nox does have some advantages the the 3030 may struggle but not disappoint. For me the Nox is a simple nice light change that finds stuff in tight places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Being able to test out different detectors before hand would be a great influence on someones purchase.
I bought the Nox basically for more depth and It worked out great, Im pulling clad (LOL) at 8 to 9 inches wich tells me its doing its job. Sure some things I dont like about it, but for the most part it has been a good decision.
I still love my whites machines for other reasons, durability in the field and simple knob controls.

Yea, what works for some doesnt feel right to others.

:detector:

Well said Kevin. I like my Equinox and it’s definitely earned its place in my lineup. It’s my go to machine for relic hunting or sifting through iron, trying to squeak out every last find. But when it comes right down to it, if I could only keep one detector it would be the CTX. I’ve developed a pretty good understanding of it’s language and it suits my style of hunting perfectly. With a slow swing speed, the dirty-thirty can pick out semi masked targets with the best of ‘em. The tones, 2D target ID and Target Trace really set it apart from the rest IMHO. Having said that, I’m glad I’m not limited to a single detector because the Nox is outstanding in its own way. Lightweight, versatile, and an excellent unmasker. Hits both high and low conductors equally well. Not to mention it’s a real bargain for what you get.

I’ve found good targets with the Nox in areas that I’ve hunted with the CTX. I’ve also found good targets with the CTX at sites I’ve hunted with the Nox. I think a lot of it has to do with getting your coil over the target at just the right angle. When dealing with targets that are masked by iron, angle of approach, ground moisture, EMI, swing speed and overlap all play a big role in whether or not a target is detected. Only way to truly see how they compare in the wild (not test beds) is to swing them over the same target before digging.

I think the Nox and CTX (or other FBS machines) really compliment each other. I wish Minelab could figure out a way to take the best features of each one and combine them into a single machine. A lightweight FBS detector with a button that would let you switch to SMF turbo mode. Throw in a nice display with an accurate depth meter, FE-CO TID, Target Trace and a trigger style pinpoint toggle and I’d be all over it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent post Kevin. Thanks for validating that common sense is still alive and well.:D:D

After you've hunted a site with your current machine you can go over it with a different machine (Equinox or other) and maybe pull a few more things out BUT if you went over that ground the second time with the same machine you'd STILL pull a few more things out. So my point is.....If you want to spend a lot of money on a new machine fine...enjoy it but don't expect it to turn everything into gold !!!

Great post, I’ve tried to say that before but I think it sounded like i was bashing the nox. Whether using the nox or any machine the more iffy signals the more good finds AND trash you’ll dig. Theres a new thread “Multi Kruzer sniffs out seated“ Replace mmk with nox and ten others would say how the nox is magic. I found the nox throwing high tones all the time. I detect for fun and digging tons of trash isn’t fun for me even though I’d find more.

When cherry picking coins in a trashy park i’ll take a beep n dig over any other. For ball fields a f70 with a dd. Old home site 705 with 3khz cc.

One mans trash is another’s treasure. Monte likes the Omegas and dislikes the xterras, i’m the opposite. It’s like you said so well “what works for YOU”.

I agree that all top of the line detectors out their do a good job at what there suppose to do.

Dilly Dilly ! 🍻
And how about a photo of those 9 silvers and the two big fat halfs ?👍
Give us our eye candy big dog .
,Dew

Yep, that being said I still like my At pro!
I do like the Nox 800 and my Soveriegn!
I even like my Ace 250 at tot lots.
They all have different personalities.:yes:

Indeed they are all different,and if I need to go hunting a tot lot,I sure don’t need the CTX! The Compadre will do just fine...it is fun having more than one! Even if most are closet queens and clothes hangers...;)

Well put IDX, those were my thoughts exactly. When I had the 600, I took it to my most worked out site. Surprise surprise, after about 20+ hours hunting, I had found one wheat and NO silver coins. I brought it to other sites and found silver, but just about ZERO at the number one spot I had lined up for the initial run of the equinox. This is the same ballfield I pulled a walker out of the ground with the CTX and over a dozen flat nails! You may remember the thread...https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245803
It did little to nothing for me in terms of producing where other machines stopped. I do hope to try an 800 someday though. I like my AT gold and Explorer combo. Good luck man and keep up the good work!

We have had mirrored experiences so far Jeff! Its just a play by play as I’m going through it...but as of today,AGAIN....at an old fairground that’s been obliterated by myself,4 other guys I actually know of and who knows how many other guys....I hunted it after work tonight for THREE HOURS! Not ONE old coin to be found. Some nice sounding one way signals that were nails,dug a couple of sweet sounding crown caps and a screw cap...NO coin. But this is what I’m actually EXPECTING,and what I would expect knowing that the last 3 times there with the CTX produced nothing as well! But it’s all the stories of the EQ “lightin’ it up” that got me hooked. Maybe it will! Just not where I’ve already hunted...
Thanks for your take on it all!🙂

Back
Top Bottom