Nox 800 Old Park Dominating

I don't pay that much attention to swing speed. I never have an issue with swinging to fast for it, but I am not in a race when trying to hit these faint short beeps. Yesterday me and my buddy hit the park we have been going over again with our Nox 800's. I only found one deep wheat. It had to be about the length of my Garrett pin-pointer deep with iron in the hole.

It was not my best signal of the day but turned out to be a coin. My best signal of the day turned out to be a bent nail really deep. I probably dug half a dozen really iffy signals and like I said got one wheat for the effort. Yesterday I had no scenarios where I was super confident I had a coin after I got a faint high tone chirp.

We need to define what we are talking about here concerning masked coins. There can be a big difference on how masked a coin actually is.

One is where another detector might not detect it and the Nox does giving a good tone and numbers that can be instantly identified as a coin pretty quick. These are the ones where you don't know if the item was just missed by another detectorist or if his detector just could not detect it. This is not the type of scenario we are experiencing at this park.

Next is the tougher one where the Nox just gives the short chirp, but when circled you are given decent numbers all the way around the target that give you high confidence it's a coin. This is the scenario we have run into most at this park when deep silver or Wheats were found. This is the type where all other detectors except the Nox failed to detect the coin.

Lastly there is the scenario that is masked the worst. You still get a very short high chirp, but it might change to an iron grunt as you circle and the VID will jump around wildly with a target masked this bad. This may be just faslsing iron. These are the ones where you will be digging more bad targets than good, but I have been pleasantly surprised with a silver and a couple of Wheats.

i believe the "second scenario" you described is where the difference will be really noticeable! the first scenario you can pretty much forget about in a park that's been 'cooked" for years! for the MOST part, those coins have been found! the second scenario is the one that gives "hope" that the efforts expended will produce coins again,and to be perfectly honest,it's what will keep the "anticipation" factor high. this is the "edge" guys are looking for! it's either this way to hunt,or take up Knitting!"..ehe! he! he! that "short high squeak" followed by "warbling" over that "exact" spot will get it done!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Welp...I’m 15 hours into the 800 and still ain’t found any high conductors the CTX missed,but hell...I’m working on it! I like the machine in general,but Im having “internal issues” about where to run the Sensitivity. I’ve tried to keep it 18-22,but at higher levels there’s a lot of ground noise and chirping very much like a really deep “coin chirp”. But nothing repeats and I haven’t found anything yet,so that in it itself causes me to doubt what I’m doing. And of course in all fairness,these places I’m looking have been hit with the CTX in every way possible,so I’m not expecting much either. Tomorrow I’ll take it to some really trashy spots to see if the speed will net me anything.
Who is using this and what speed are you swinging(in seconds,right to left only,4 foot sweep). I know this is a “general guesstimate” but I’m using about 1.5-2 seconds right to left in 4 feet,which I would think would be pretty normal. But it might be too slow?....much to learn apparently here.

I have been running mine at 24, it is a little sparky but when i get signals it is no problem telling the good from just sparky chirps. Signal has to be repeatable or usually it is just a deep bent nail.

I found 2 buffalo , 1 v nickel, 2 indians, 1 merc, 6 wheats, Sunday at that same park, I also found new plugs so somebody is also detecting there.

actually this is one of the better post and responses about the 800 and silver coins. This is what a lot of us are seeking that are not experts in metal detecting or the 800.

Based on this post and replies I am now sure I have overlooked some deeper or masked silver targets. Tom_in_CA stated you have to basically recover 2-3 of these hard to find silver coins with your 800 in a row to train your brain. He is correct. Sometimes we are finding so much junk or just good solid signals from good targets we are not training our brain on the more difficult to recognize good targets that are faint or masked.

At least now I am pointed in the right direction.

that's right! as explained in prior posts,it would appear the "nox" has the unique ability
to expose "partially masked" coins,and this is why guys are doing so well with it!..the truth comes out! super quick "adjustable" processor clock speeds,coupled with using "all" the frequencies transmitting "simultaneously" in to the ground is making' it happen! different hunters are reporting this so must be an element of truth to it! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.)
j.t.

As reported and shown by TNSS.....I find that 50 tones will give you a signal that 5 tones will not give on a masked target. A quirky thing for sure, but hey it is what it is.

The Horseshoe button can also aid in bent nail identification. Going to zero discrimination will give that bent nail a chance to speak. If that high tone comes through with the iron tone from multiple directions then dig.

I also like the stock coil more than the 6 inch coil. I find the 6 inch coil has a tendency to misidentify bent nails as good targets more than the stock coil. And after using it some really nasty environment I have concluded that it just doesnt find any more targets than the stock coil. Now it does have some benefits......It allowed me to hunt an area of my site where EMI is very harsh. It still could be heard, but was more manageable. It sure pinpoints better. But then all small coils do that. But over all in my opinion....The stock coil is good enough. I really see no need for an 8 or 9 inch coil. If the stock coil can hang with the 6 inch well enough than anything larger would just be a waste. I thought the same thing about the CTX and with the Equinox the difference between the two coils is even smaller.

I really don't hunt the dirt much at all. I like hunting Mid Atlantic beaches. I wanted to brush up on the Equinox this Spring and just get better with it. I had some vacation to use up and had a good time. But I do know how to dirt hunt. Been Doing it since 76. I just got tired of digging crusty copper coins not worth anything.

Last edited:
I dug two more Mercs from the hammered park that I have been talking about in this thread this weekend. One yesterday, and one today. That makes 8 Mercury dimes and one War nickel in just the last month and a half. Most in the last few weeks. Over half of my silver total for the year has come from this park eeking out tough signals with my Nox 800. No silver Rosie's no silver quarters. I'm just guessing any quarters were picked up by other detectors and maybe silver Rosie's were more shallow and also found by others. I keep hoping for a quarter or two, but so far there have not been any.

Back
Top Bottom