Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 03-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Default Church of the Compadre...

Hi Tahoegold !

Sorry to hear you weren't getting notifications, but better late by a year than never. Seriously, thanks for catching up with your current reply. It means a lot to me and I'll give your method a try using a sample zinc penny to set the dial indicator position.

If I'm interpreting correctly, you are setting the dial indicator using a zinc penny and thumbing back down the arc CCW until the signal is barely detectable with pops and crackles and then leaving the dial set at that position for the rest of your hunt, as apposed to thumbing up and down on every hit like Digger27 does...is that correct ?

Also, do you (a) drop a zinc penny on top of the ground to set the dial, or (b) bury it, or (c) just wait until you get a random hit that sounds like a zinc penny and make the setting with that ?

Again, if I'm interpreting you correctly, it sounds as if your method is a panacea, excluding iron and presumably other trash like steel bottle caps, aluminum stay-tabs, pull-tabs, and foil in all it's forms including those aggravating freshness seals, while still hitting on coins...is that correct ?

Sorry for all the questions, but your results sound so amazing and I want to duplicate the method precisely.

Thanks again 1

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Yes, I drop a zinc penny and adjust to it. Where I'm hunting I'm finding quarters and dimes 3-4" deep on average. I sometimes think I may be loosing depth with this so, I use all metal in full when I hit a site with a coin, and then use the thumbing method to look for nickles. Gold rings will show up somewhere around nickle. (I've tested a ring but haven't found one yet. I keep looking though!!) This zinc method I use in super trash locations because it is so tough to take all the chatter. The method of removing the trash in a "hotspot" should be employed as good targets can be masked by trash laying over them. What is amazing about the Compadre is it is able to see "around" some things that mask, better than my other detector. It's not totally able to see through everything. But it seems to do a better job than my other one even when I use the concentric coil. The zinc penny will sound solid but with some crackles when set right. I am going out today where there has been 4×4 activity for years. I use this to avoid all kinds of metals. I'm just cherry picking. Specifically, I'm looking fir old silver coins. There's also areas around here that hace had activity since the 1890s and may have really old coins mixed with can slaw and old iron junk. It's way more fun not hearing anything solid until you hear a solid beep. It even can help with 22 cases. Those drive me crazy in some places, this makes them give a broken signal like the zinc. And sometimes discs them out. Those nickle bulet cases are gone too. I found a 1967 quarter yesterday and that tells me no one is finding coins there. It was a solid signal in the midst of a bunch of broken signals. It made me think, hey, what's that? I kept swinging and it remained clean. Just to the edge were other broken signals. It was several inches deep. I was amazed. Even though it wasn't silver, and it was only a quarter, I smiled, looked at the Compadre and thought, you really do have supernatural powers. My faith was strengthened and my trust increased in my ability to hunt amongst the super trash spots. It almost like a electronic devining rod. Able to pull clad and silver out of a pile of trash! LOL! I'm headed out today again to find out what else is in between the irin and bullet casings!Name:  IMG_20190315_120946.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  98.5 KBName:  IMG_20190315_120927.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  88.6 KB

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2019, 12:41 AM

Ok, I wanted to test this and show photos. This is not perfect but it does help quite a bit. Here's the trash that I dug that gave solid signals. And the coins I found. These are 60s and 70s coins. They were about 1 to 3 inches deep and gave solid signals. It's funny, but, once I got used to what the sound of a good target was, I could swing across a bunch of chirpy trash and just hear the target amongst it all. Something in my mind would hear it but my thoughts would be thinking it's probably trash. I would be compelled to dig and I'm always sirprised when that coin pops out. I know I shouldn't be, but, it's so cool how the mind hears that kind of thing. Ok, so, I know there's older coins here and the Compadre is getting the job done. I'm more confident than ever that I can find silver. I think the ear ring is costume jewelery, however, it was there amongst the trash. So was the fishing lure. All the trash was copper or aluminium. I didn't dig any Iron. I love this machine. It's never leaving my aresnal!!
I know these photos were taken correctly. I have no Idea why they are posting upside down...

Name:  0315191608.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  0315191608a.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  0315191608b.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  105.3 KB

Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SkiWhiz View post
Did you say something Digger, I couldn't understand you . Seriously though I have a number of people in the hobby that I call from time to time from all over the south and I enjoy hearing how they talk, not hard to understand most of them but there are a few that is alittle hard to understand.
you fooled me! i though you was from the mid west!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

Default Church of the Compadre...

Hellooo Tahoegold

I see your Compadre wears the 8" dia. "Brown Donut" Coil ! Did you buy it new ? Mine has the 5.75" coil (pseudo sniper).

Gold rings are a nice surprise occasionally when you are calibrated to a zinc penny, or get a zinc penny sounding signal; check out Digger27's thread here: http://www.metaldetectingforum.com/s...talk+zinc+gold

I'm attaching a 3-page article on calibrating to a Nickel that was in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, Vol. 49, January, 2015 that I thought was good with explicit details. You may need to print hard copies for easier reading.

Re pics being upside down, I assume they were right side up when you uploaded them from your computer folder. You might want to contact Carol K. or Vlad and ask if they can flip them for you. They are glad to help whenever possible. Go to the Profile of either one and send a PM and be sure to include details for navigation to your post.

Thanks for your replies.....interesting!

Happy Hunting !

ToddB64
Attached Images

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Last edited by ToddB64; 03-16-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Correcting link

Old 03-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Hi ToddB64,
Yes, I bought it new. It was my first and I have lots of beaches here so I figured I could use the size and depth better than the smaller coil. I really like that it has a open area to sight in the tharet spot. I find tiny things too. I found earing backs, and a half of a staple. It's a great detector for me.
I read those articles and posts. I'll give them a try. I think I'm working virgin ground. There is so much metal in the ground. Look at that trash. There's several ends of motorcycle clutch and break levers. Big aluminium knobs. There's bits and pieces of electrical parts etc all over the ground. A person could spend a day working a 10x10 area and still not get it all. And that's why I figured there were goodies in the mix. Im pulling the items that are sounding off as well as coins. This area is about an acre in size. I have a lifetime of hunting if I want! So, I figure my best chance of finding something of value might be older silver coins. There will be a few times when I dig it all. I don't think I can handle doing that all the time though.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Default Church of the Compadre Thread

Tahoegold,

Thanks for the reply.

You are a lucky guy to have regular access to beaches; I assume this would give you more chance of finding silver and gold jewelry, even if just the leftovers from last years crowds at this time of the year.

According to the average weather at South Lake Tahoe this time of the year, coupled with some breeze off the lake, it's probably still a bit chilly for the sun worshippers I guess, but summer's coming....right ?

I'm primarily interested in finding gold jewelry for cash money, but since buying my first metal detector, an Ace250 at Christmas, 2005, I haven't found a single solid gold ring of any K value. However, modern coins are plentiful around basketball courts, tot lots, soccer fields and jogging paths. My only jewelry finds have been of the inexpensive costume variety.

The only beach in my area of Ohio is at a fresh water man-made Lake (East Fork) and it eats up too much time going there and returning home. With Parkinson's and Diabetes at age 77 I wear out after 2 hours, so my time is limited and I make do with the Parks close by. My doctor advised me not to drive anymore for my own safety and that of others on the highway, so my wife takes me to the Parks and after a short walk with our dog she waits in the car until I'm done, another reason for keeping my hunt brief.

Good Luck and I hope you get a nice gold surprise digging those zinc penny and Nickel signals !

ToddB64

Old 03-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Hi ToddB64,
Thats why I really value the Compadre for it's simplicity. On short hunts, I fyss less and just hunt. It really tunes my ears that way. I do the same with nickles too. I put one on the dirt I'm hunting and tune it. It works. I go to highway pull outs sometimes. I've found some wheat pennys and an "s" nickle that way. Those are 30% silver!!