Introduction

Bama Relics

Hello treasure hunters,new member here and I would like to tell you a little about myself. I've been treasure hunting for over four decades and have enjoyed every minute of it! I've hunted all types of treasure and at 69 years old I still do.:yes: I started treasure hunting in 1974. My first detector was a D-Tex that I bought from Bill Mahan. Bill was a well known treasure hunter who got me started in T H'ing. Bill is deceased but I think his son still T H's. I've owned many detectors over the years and I can't say anything bad about none of them. Today I use several machines, just depends on what I'm hunting for. I have a Garrett AT Max, Nox 800 and a White's DFX e series. From time to time I'll be passing on some tips and some of my recent hunts.
Remember, treasure is where you find it! Happy hunting.

And part of the treasure I find is just being outdoors and enjoying myself. The hunt is a large part of the treasure Of course a nice find is the icing on the cake Welcome Aboard Pull up a chair, pour a cup of coffee and show us some of your finds.

That's GREAT you have been detecting such a long time. What is the difference between the newer detectors and the sites that you detect now? I would imagine that detecting in the 70s works be quite different than now! HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard from West Virginia!!!! To me, the treasure is just being able to get out and learn. Research and history are just as fun as the hunt!!! Always learning something new, that's priceless!!! Enjoy the Forum. Great folks here!!!!

That's GREAT you have been detecting such a long time. What is the difference between the newer detectors and the sites that you detect now? I would imagine that detecting in the 70s works be quite different than now! HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your question. As far as detectors of today vs the detectors I started out with, there has been a vast improvement in the technology including discrimination and depth. Also today's detectors are more streamline and weight a whole lot less. Older detectors had a large metal box to hold the electronics and the coils were much heavier than today's detectors. For their time though they were very efficient.

As for hunting sites, back in the day it was easy to go to your favorite old parks, old home sites, old schools and come home with a hand full of old
silver coins..... Today it is not that easy to find virgin ground and come home with a hand full of silver. I found out years ago when my finds started to dwindle due the the popularity of the hobby, I knew that I had to start doing research to be successful.

However, treasure is still being found every day and it won't be hunted out in our lifetime. Today, I see younger treasure hunters go into the fields and dig King George II big coppers and silver reales! I think it is fantastic.

Good luck out their and Happy Hunting.

Welcome from Boston. What state are you in?

Jim

Hi Jim, before I retired I spent several weeks in Boston and I must say, I fell in love with that city. So much History their. Do good research and you should find a lot of goodies their.

I'm from Alabama but have detected in many other states in my lifetime so far.

Happy hunting Jim.

Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin's frozen Tundra. Trapper

Thanks for the welcome Jack&jill. I've hunted in the great cheese several times. Really love that state (In the Summer lol). I was lucky to have a job that required a lot of travel in the good ole USA and I always packed my Detectors.

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom