Technology vs Research and Hunting (for newbies)

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I love the new technology as well as anyone in this hobby. And yes, I chase the technology. I started with Fisher Gold Bug, a clunky Garret ADS, then Fisher ID Edge, then Garrett AT Pro, then my Equinox 800 and Vanquish 540 as a backup.

But along the way what I forgot was that really learning and understanding the theories behind how metal detectors and their many features work is more important than the latest technology.

Even more important is consistent research and just getting out and hunting these researched properties.

The last two points are more important than the technology. For instance just a couple of weeks ago I was private messaging with a gentlemen who found a CSA belt buckle with his Ace 250.

And how many of us relic detectorists have been lusting after a CSA belt buckle with our fantastic new machines?

I write this post for the newbie. You old timers already know this. Newbies don't fret that you don't have the latest and greatest detector. Learn to do your research and hunt with what you have. No you might not be able to find a 10" dime buried between two old rusty square nails, but there are tons of good targets that are not hiding among iron if you do your research and hunt. Heck there is a CSA belt buckle or two just waiting to be found 3" below the surface somewhere.

The other good point for newbies deciding on their first detector. You have the Simplex, Vanquish, Equinox 600 and Apex (soon) to choose from. And don't forget the Ace and AT Pro line. Despite the posting debates on which detector is the best, you don't always have to have the best to be successful.

I agree. I found a 1851 Seated dime and a 1867 2 Cent piece my two oldest coin finds with a Whites XLT on the same site a week apart. This was just about 3.5 years ago. I had given up on detecting for years because I never really thought it was worth the trouble because my trash to coin ratio was pitiful. But being in the right spot made all the difference. The place you are looking has to be the most important thing when detecting. Before I upgraded to other detectors I also had a 4 silver day with that XLT which was almost 20 years old at the time.

I totally agree, I have an ace 400 that I love dearly. It took me a bit to learn but the learning curve really helped when I started to get on good land. Just get out with what you can afford and have fun. That's what this hobby is all about. Learning and fun.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Good advice, could be good to have a sticky since the questions on where and how to start out (especially which machine) seem to pop up a lot.

I've compared metal detecting to working as a deputy U.S. Marshal on a fugitive task force.

Yes, it's sexy to bust down doors in tactical gear and weapons while you apprehend a dangerous criminal. But the "juice" is in the detective work in figuring out where that criminal is.

Research ain't easy, and I call myself a very internet savvy person. Then, we have the decades of other researchers ahead of us, having researched for all of the easier, open public "tax dollar type" spots(parks, etc), doing research and working them before they eventually gave up there. Those are milked-out spots, yet I still hit all of old my historic spots. Whatcha going do when "everything" there, seems to have been taken? Just quit?

Research is not simple. Picking up a metal detector as a new hobby, expects fun "outta the box." Hunt spots are thin, unless you are great at mining the internet. jmho

Well said! The research is almost as fun as the hunt for me. Almost! Ive educated myself on so much more of my areas history and heritage since I got my first detector at Christmas. And with upgrading to the AT pro Im even more excited about getting out and hunting down history. As soon as the law lets my local museum reopen I am joining and volunteering to learn as much as I can and possibly get new permissions!

My research skills are top of the line but my detector is bottom of the line. (ACE 250) I have detected several old house sites where the family had literally 16 kids and I can't find a button. Imagine 16 kids and no buttons. I do find lots of large items like harmonica reeds. Sometimes I dig up a find turn it on its side and rebury it to see what my detector does. Surprisingly the signal often disappears or degrades into a sound I would not dig. In this case I feel that the research pays off less because my detector is the limiting factor.

Back
Top Bottom