Found 12 Lincoln pennies today and only dug four pieces of trash. You may envy me now.

CmonNow

Yeah, yeah, I know I need to up the quality of the sites I hunt, but I'm still new enough at this hobby that finding a dozen pennies is still a really good couple hours for me.

Hunted a small area, maybe 20 feet by 120 feet, at the county fairgrounds in town this afternoon. Found a dozen pennies and only dug four pieces of trash disguised as good signals. No nickels, dimes, or quarters at all in that spot, though a couple of the copper pennies teased me that they may be dimes. The fairgoers around here are apparently cheapskates.

Tons of junk in the ground there and I had iron shut off on the Equinox. But, it was my best coin-to-trash ratio yet. Most times I'm out, digging 12 coins would mean digging about 36 pieces of trash along with it.

I'm getting better at this. I even found two coins in the same hole for the first time, a zinc at 3 and a copper at 5 inches. Yes, some of those 1-12s and 14-18s might have been 24k diamond rings, but at the fairground they're probably pull tabs and bottle caps, so I skipped them.

Thank you, thank you all. If you want my autograph it's 10 bucks plus postage. :cool3:

Disclaimer: I'm really not an arrogant jackass, it's just that sometimes when I have a 3-1 coin-trash ratio and a couple beers in me, I play one on the internet. I'm not worthy to shine most of your shoes as far as knowledge of this hobby, but I do what I can. Even got rained on doing it.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Lincolns! Upping your good targets to trash ratio is a good thing, glad you made some good finds!

I like your style. Digging less trash is an art that takes practice. You're doing well. Soon enough, pennies will just be trash too. ;)

Putting in the work. Like it. I've been detecting for 15 years and still get out junked on a usual basis.

Don't let posts on here discourage you, people only show good finds and not the days worth of trash they dig.

Awesome post, love it!:lol: A sense of humor will get you a LONG way in this hobby, it’s good to see a “newer guy” taking it in stride. And yeah...all those silver coins you see?...a lot of stuff gets dug to see those. The better you get, well...the better you get!
Can’t wait for the next one!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom