$12 (face value) Silver Halves cache!

wedjlok

There is a sweet little area that I've been detecting for some time now that used to be an old farmhouse lot, before the house burned down a few years ago. Most of the finds that I have from here all range in the mid 1940's range and include several silver Rosie's, wheat cents, belt buckles, and the like.

Off to the side of where the house used to stand are a couple of large, old Oak trees, but it has always been so overgrown and infested with snakes and spiders galore that I've hesitated to venture there very often, but have always had a "feeling" about that area, as well as a single large tree right behind the old house.

Feeling rather adventurous, I decided to trudge through the waist high ferns and beat down all of those giant orb weaver spiders that stood in my way and detect around those old trees, and I'm glad that I did!

I was using my Garrett GTP 1350 and got just a blip of a signal that registered in the dollar range, and almost passed it up thinking that it was a deep buried can. I hesitated, though, because cans are not something that I normally dig up here, not too many pulltabs even, as it all seems fairly clean in this small lot. I pinpointed it and get a consistent signal, but it was deep (ended up being around 18" after I dug) and it also ended up being snarled within tree roots beyond belief. So I dug for a while until it started getting too dark to really accomplish anything safely, remembered the spot, and returned the next day (today).

After digging for a little while longer and screaming some choice words at those tree roots, I caught hold of something that seemed like some sort of decomposed bag that contained a less decomposed burlap-like bag inside of it. I almost jumped out of my skin!

After gathering it out as gently as could be done in such a situation, I opened it up to reveal 24 Half Dollars!!!! All of these halves ranged from 1910 to 1964 and included 1 Barber Half (1910), 1 Franklin Half (1957), Walking Liberty halves (1940-1946) (the Walking Liberty's were the most plentiful), and 8 1964 Kennedy Halves.

All that I can say is that persistence always pays off and when I get the "feeling" I always come out ahead, whether it be an old park or a trudge in the woods. I apologize for the shoddy photo, but my camera is cheap (all my money goes into 'tecting). If there was that one there, then chances are there are more, or I'm at least hopeful. I've never been there and not found something of interest, even after seeing another person there as well not too long ago.

So, I hope you enjoyed the story, and I'm going to post it in the Finds section as well. Again, sorry about the photo; maybe one day I'll invest in a decent digital camera

Aeryck

Attachments

• Cache2.jpg
    Cache2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,576
All I can say is WOW!! Unbelievable luck you have.... one of these days I'll find a cache, but my luck it will be a cache of bottlecaps LOL... just at scrap silver price alone you managed to find over $100 in coins, not to mention their true value as collectable coins....

Remarkable find :wow: Glad to hear there are still folks out there who get lucky from time to time.

As for the "Pinocchio" comment, this isn't generally the type of place we like to argue the authenticity of someones accounts... this is a Friendly forum and no place for that.

Edit: Just noticed this was a dug up 3 yr old thread... odd this thread was brought up from the depths

Last edited:
I think that would be a good example of why people are reluctant to share their cache finds. Nothing to stop you from sharing like being called a liar!

I wonder what ever happened to Wedjlok? The guy only had 32 posts (3 years ago) and then disappears from the forum!

Nope, I'm still around. :-) I sold the coins for silver value, and it really doesn't matter who believes whom. Lol. It was there, I dug it, it wasn't easy. It was also published in Garrett's Searcher newsletter.

Here's the latest find....

Attachments

• DSCF1070.JPG
    DSCF1070.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,198
This was a thread

that got by the mods. I don't believe the two mods who added posts were moderators at the time. There is a fine line between trying to be funny and outright sarcasm. Aeyrck, glad you are still here.....Gil

I can only imagine how you felt when you pulled that cache out of the ground! I'm gonna find me a stash of old coins someday!:clap:

Yes, face value. I sold it for spot price of the silver, because almost all of the coins had barely even any surface features left to them, and the ones that did were not any special dates. It was a thrilling find, though. I had to go over two days to actually get to it cuz it was in the tree roots and in some pretty nasty location as far as the weeds and snakes go.

Being relatively new to metal detecting and having made two super cool discoveries - both times completely unexpected! I shared them with the knowledge that no one would believe them - especially here in Washington - just too darn cool for a beginner like me! But, they sure drew the attention of a few local archaeologists whom are still scratching their heads.

Of course, those two finds were the results of hundreds of hours of bumbling and cursing my machine! If anything a great find is the result of either pure blind luck, the result of hundreds of hours of bumbling or a well researched plan.

I would not be too surprised to read of many under $20 face value finds in gold or silver coin. I would be stunned if someone actually showed or said they had found something like a roll of 1937 three leg buffalos all in MS 65......

I did go back there a few times, but the condition of the site was almost too much to be able to really do anything at all. In addition, they have cleared a whole area from the front of the site in order to put in roads and such, making the areas further in even more difficult to traverse.

Except for that one large find, several of us would venture in and usually find some wheats and the occasional silver dime or quarter. I've never found anything TOO out of the ordinary in any of my hunts over the years; the closest one being a pipe in my front yard from an earlier settlement that couldn't really be dated, but a pipe nonetheless.

I don't really find it too far-fetched to consider caches at old sites like that one, as a cousin of mine almost makes that his specialty in the midwest, but finding it was a thrill, no doubt.

Glad to see you are still on the Forun Aeyrck. That stuff a couple years ago was just wrong. Hope to see more of your finds in the future.

From the look of your current posts, you are locked on 38. Glad to see you are still with us and hope you continue to share your finds with us. Hope you have a great 2011.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom