Anyone Keeping Statistics on Coins?

Compass

Forum Supporter
For a while I kept track of my findings at my favorite lake. I have misplaced that information but I specifically remember that clad quarters would consistently make up 40% of the coins I would find in the water.
Anyone else have statistics to share? I never thought to check the ratio of silver and gold rings to coins but a wild estimate would be 1 silver ring for every 50 coins and maybe 1 gold ring for every 100 coins? (all based on hunting "in" the water waist high on average)

No stat to share other than what's in My Albums photos, but I took advantage of the forum special price on the "idetect" software and will use it this coming new year.

i also purchased idetect and am not to impressed with it yet. it seems really tough and not user friendly. i would suggest the 14 day trial first b 4 u commit. just my 2 cents

I just keep a spreadsheet. For clad, pennies come in pretty consistently at 42% of the time, nickels 10%, dimes and quarters both 24%.

I've definitely dug way more than 50 pulltabs per gold ring, but I don't keep stats on that.

I keep a spreadsheet a well.

Three year averages:

Pennies - 40%
Nickels - 14%
Dimes - 26%
Quarters - 17%
Wheats - 2%
Silver Coins 0.3%
Gold & Silver Jewelry - 0.5%

When I beach hunt I do not keep stats.. the only things I count are rings... clad goes to the wife for parking, silver and gold I don´t want gets sold as I get enough and the old stuff goes into my safety deposit box for future needs ;)

I use

a spreadsheet, this year's percentages are as follows:

• pennies - 66.91%
  • nickels - 6.74%
  • dimes - 17.48%
  • quarters - 8.81%
7 rings, 2 of which were junk and 1 silver ear ring. Didn't keep track of the pull tabs.:p
Mainly all park hunting.

Last edited:
There are lots of people here who have their own personal spreadsheets and what not, I've been a fan of iDetect for nearly 2 years. It's just as user friendly as any other Windows program, same type of menus and whatnot. Great source for keeping track of the specifics behind your finds, and being able to attach a photo to each find is pretty cool. I personally think the reports it can generate are super handy if not just plain ol' neat.

I just put my finds on a paper towel after each hunt, date at the top and take a picture. Then I just use a word program and name the file "2009 treasures" I make an entry,date it and copy and paste a picture and keep a running total. At the end of the year I know how many gold rings, silver rings, merc dimes, ect. I like to count up and look at my finds after each hunt so it is fun to me. good luck, Jim

No don't count each coin, just the total of what I found and keep it here in my Signature.

Back
Top Bottom