Lots of luck after hurricane Irene (pic heavy)

gumbo

Went to a local beach that I frequent quite often, usually with mixed results. I find a lot of clad but have found one wedding band there in the past month, I think it's a heavily picked beach and I rarely find silver. But I got out there during the hurricane and just after it with my BH 3300...so eat that you professionals with your ETracs!

We had about 3 feet of erosion along the tide mark, and to make things even better, a bulldozer knocked out another few feet along the peer to use as a barrier against the storm surge, leaving a nice, flat stretch of clay (tough digging, but clearly very old).

I went out twice, first at about 5PM (low tide, 60 mph high winds, rain, etc.). My wife called me crazy. This hunt was four hours, I brought my headlamp and my pro pointer because I couldn't see a thing. The second hunt was yesterday, for about 6 hours (I decided to take the day off after the success I had had the previous night).

In total, I managed 20 silver dime (14 mercs, 4 Rosies), 5 Silver quarters (4 Washington, 1 SL), on silver Franklin half, 7 buffalos and 1 shield nickel, 3 indian heads and 50 wheaties...lol...that's more wheaties than lincolns, various religious pendants and trinkets (what are they made out of?) 2 Gold ring (one 9ct&silver with marcasite, one 14k Claddagh wedding band), one old MTA (pre-MBTA for you Bostonians) subway token, a silver bracelet, a few silver plated spoons, and about 7 bucks in clad.

It was crazy, I was finding mercs face up on the ground! I don't know when I'll ever have a hunt this good again, but I'm heading to upstate New York to my old town of Guilderland for a hunt with my dad this weekend in an area with some really old (pre-revolution) homesteads. Should be fun.

Thanks for looking at my first real post!

6095742889_9d7f2c0a89_b.jpg

6096285754_371a1a4801_b.jpg

I actually just rechecked the "clad" and found a 1943 nickel with a large P mintmark...silver...that's a lesson for me to always check my dates.

WTG on a fantastic hunt and seizing the opportunity the weather created. I am sure it was a thrill to keep hitting old coin after old coin.

I would have stayed out all night (I live about 100 yards from the water) but my wife came out with "the look" at about 9PM.

wow lots of goodies there!!! Congrats !!!!! You Cleaned up nice!

Thats a great hunt! I had no idea the local beaches still had anything like that left.

I'm in MA, I've seen a couple detectorists at my beach, usually just like me - getting clad mostly. This was a unique situation with the storm surge, and when I went out again after two tide cycles (last night), I got skunked. I think the hurricane just temporarily took 18-24 inches of sand off the top layer and then redeposited it back after a few tide cycles. It was a perfect opportunity in a crisis.

Good thing you took advantage of things. These opportunities are rare - good job ! Steve in so az

Next time wear some clothes when you are taking pictures. The bottom photo shows your foot at the bottom on the floor and a smaller appendage. I hope that is your other toe.

Nice haul

Back
Top Bottom