I emailed my city and one other city about getting permission to detect sidewalk strips and nobody responded Whats the deal?

hellomikie92

I don't know if I am the only person in my city, or in the metro area that owns a metal detector or what, or if they just don't know. Can anybody give me an idea on why they wouldn't respond? Do i need to call the city or something? I mean each city is full old coins, toys, etc, its impossible to find everything!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: sorry, went off subject. Anyway why do you think the city didn't respond back? I emailed them once Monday, and emailed them 4 times last week. What gives?:wow::wow::wow:

Last edited:
I think that whoever got the email had no idea as to what the answer is. If I was a city employee I would probably refer that kind of inquiry to my supervisor. You may eventually get an answer.

Research the city code yourself. Many are online and searchable. Look for ordinances that reference digging, excavating, city property, etc. If you don't find anything prohibitive, go for it. Generally, if it doesn't say you can't, you can.

no answer means...go 4 it, because if their was a definite ordinance against it, they would have said right away.....go detect!

I sent an email last week to the City Parks Director here in Knoxville, and have yet to hear back. I have his email address, and sent it to him. Nothing yet for me, either. I'm gonna think he is on vacation last week and try again tomorrow. If that don't work, I'm picking up the phone. The rules and regulations are on posted on their website, and says nothing about NOT being able to MD, but I wanted to print off the email from the parks director just in case there was ever a hassle. Good luck and keep us posted. I will do the same. HH.

Why are all these new members asking permission to hunt city parks?

I follow these steps.

Check the governing body's parks and rec site. If there no mention of it in the park rules go for it. If there are no rules or park and rec site. Go for it.

Check for rules at the park on a sign etc.

Ask a police officer that you know in that area. Don't just ask a bureaucrat in the city.

If you are young you might get told something different than the more mature members here. People just worry.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Research the city code yourself. Many are online and searchable. Look for ordinances that reference digging, excavating, city property, etc. If you don't find anything prohibitive, go for it. Generally, if it doesn't say you can't, you can.

hippies got the right idea. I work for the city I live in . And I can tell you that if your not getting an answer, they don't know who to field it to, or there is no ordinance pertaining to detecting in specific. But if you hound them enough, they can certainly pass an ordinance in council workshop. And then the answer will be a direct "no"... in addition to signage and fines ... so just stay under the radar, and go. !

Even if it says no digging or excavating, it is ok to metal detect unless someone comes up to you and says otherwise. You don't dig in parks anyway, you pry, search, and extract the coins. In extreme cases the parks may require you to coin pop, but if you do it right, they will not notice plugging, slicing, or popping with a lesche. Practice somewhere inconspicuous like your yard, or just in the messy parts. Although the neater the grass the better my plugs look.

Are you talking about Marietta?

I've looked up the city's ordinances and either don't see MD being adressed or I'm looking in the wrong place. You can usually go to Municode.com and find what you need but I've researched Marietta before and can't find whether they would allow it or not. If you go to mariettaga.gov, you can look at parks and recreation and if you click "Contact Parks and Recreation" you get an e-mail address for a "[email protected]". I'm sure this person would know who to ask if he or she is not that person themself. Let me know what you find out as that would be good info to know since I'm just down the road from you in Dallas. Maybe we could meet up to hunt sometime. Good Luck!

Asking only gives them new ideas for things to tax, license, or prohibit. If they've never had a problem in the past, they probably don't even think about it.

Asking only gives them new ideas for things to tax, license, or prohibit. If they've never had a problem in the past, they probably don't even think about it.

Why are all these new members asking permission to hunt city parks?

I follow these steps.

Check the governing body's parks and rec site. If there no mention of it in the park rules go for it. If there are no rules or park and rec site. Go for it.

Check for rules at the park on a sign etc.

Ask a police officer that you know in that area. Don't just ask a bureaucrat in the city.

If you are young you might get told something different than the more mature members here. People just worry.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I don't understand it either. The more people go randomly asking "please may I?" the more and more someone will decide the answer is no. All it takes is one counselman to decide they need an ordinace about it, and it's almost a done deal. Detecting is dead in your city, or you are buying permits to do it. I don't care where you are, you are NOT the first person to metal detect in that town. Detectors have been a popular hobby since the 1960's. That's 60 years folks. If there's not a law against it by now, it's fine.

It's VERY simple people, RESEARCH THE ORDINANCE YOURSELF! IF IT DOESN"T SAY "NO", THEN JUST GO DO IT!

No answer means they don't feel like dealing with you or they never got the email. I find alot of town and city websites will have email for staff members but it doesn't seem like it ever gets to them. For instance in my hometown, the Head of the DPW, does not seem like he would be very computer literate, but he has an email address. Likely probably he has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand it either. The more people go randomly asking "please may I?" the more and more someone will decide the answer is no. All it takes is one counselman to decide they need an ordinace about it, and it's almost a done deal. Detecting is dead in your city, or you are buying permits to do it. I don't care where you are, you are NOT the first person to metal detect in that town. Detectors have been a popular hobby since the 1960's. That's 60 years folks. If there's not a law against it by now, it's fine.

It's VERY simple people, RESEARCH THE ORDINANCE YOURSELF! IF IT DOESN"T SAY "NO", THEN JUST GO DO IT!

Nervous Nellies.

It takes a lot for me to build up the courage to ask permission. That is the only reason I detect parks. I never have to ask permission there! Parks are mostly junky, cherry picked, hunted out of the good stuff, and all that is left behind is clad, but I detect them because I can just go there and detect and not have to worry about asking permission! 90+% of the city and county parks are fair game! I would almost certainly not detect them if I had to ask permission first. Not worth it.

That said they are great places for new MD people to learn what a coin sounds like, and really learn their machines, and yes you can still find great stuff there, but if I wanted to ask permission all the time I would do what Goes4ever does! You will want to build up your courage in the parks and progress to other sites that you don't have to ask permission to detect like sidewalks and apartment complexes. Yes apartment complexes are private property, and you are supposed to ask, but the ones I detect are older ones, that border on being ghetto, or just plain urban. The residents never mind. Mostly they assume you are an authority (gas co, utility, police, city) and go inside. On the sidewalk strips I start around parks, schools, or apartments, and then do the sidewalks in front of those houses that I think won't fuss. If they fuss I move on. I skip the houses whose putting green yards extend to the other side of the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom