Clad by the numbers...

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
Since I finally got all of my clad clean by tumbling it over the past few weeks, I decided today to load it up and go see the coin machine at Wally World to see how much of it would pass muster. Before I went I wanted to get a ballpark idea of how much I had dug up, and I am far too lazy to count the coins. So I came up with this...

I calculated the number of coins I had by weight. Since it has been hot here I stayed inside where the A/C blows and separated out the different denominations and weighed each one.

What I got by weight was as follows: Pennies 8 lbs 0.5 oz. for 1296 coins, Nickels 1 lb 11.3 oz. for 155 coins, Dimes 2 lbs 6.4 oz. for 480 coins and Quarters 4 lbs 10.8 oz. for 374 coins. My figured total was $162.32.

Due to the difference between old pennies and zinc ones, I used a median number for their weight as I wasn't about to separate zincs out, so my numbers on pennies were a little more plus/minus than exact for weight.

The Coinstar spit out a handful, 30 pennies, 3 nickels, 12 dimes, and 9 quarters.

That said, the Coinstar listed the following: Pennies 1282, Nickels 152, Dimes 468, Quarters 363. That means the weight method was right on the money (:lol: love them puns) for the nickels, the dimes, one shy for the quarters, and amazingly enough, only what, 16 off for the pennies! The coinstar total for all before their take was 157.97, $4.35 difference with the pennies guestimated. Not too bad of a method.

As a little bonus, while I was separating them out I also pulled several wheat pennies from the pile that I had missed before, and decided to cull out all coins up to 1969 just for fun. I was pretty surprised to find several old nickels, I guess I don't really look at nickels that closely.

The only down side to the Coinstar deal was the fact that it did not offer any cards for businesses that I actually use, so I ended up just going for cash. I thought they did Amazon cards but not this machine. Boo.

All in all I guess it was okay but next time I'll take them to my bank and let them run them through their machine for free.

Nice report! I just did a Coinstar coin dump this am as well, just my dirtys, I keep the clean ones to spend over the counter......Amazingly there were two dollar coins in the mess I found this past week, I had no idea I even found them...they were in there with the rest of the crustys...walked out with $7.55..I bet I got easily twice that in cleans, since I'm beachsweeping...

That weighing method has worked for me too. It's very handy when you've got lots of coins to count, and best of all, most of the time it's accurate!

Nice report! I just did a Coinstar coin dump this am as well, just my dirtys, I keep the clean ones to spend over the counter......Amazingly there were two dollar coins in the mess I found this past week, I had no idea I even found them...they were in there with the rest of the crustys...walked out with $7.55..I bet I got easily twice that in cleans, since I'm beachsweeping...

Thanks! I found 6 dollar coins in my tumbled batches, only 1 of which I actually remember digging. The others were surprises. I ended up with 5 extra wheats that apparently were too dirty to id.

That weighing method has worked for me too. It's very handy when you've got lots of coins to count, and best of all, most of the time it's accurate!

It's a nice time saver! I was surprised how well it worked, never thought to try it before.

you're on a roll! coin roll that is :roll:.I love going to the coinstar with a big jar full of dug up coins. The money I get always goes to more MD accessories and is a nice way to keep the hobby paying for itself.

you're on a roll! coin roll that is :roll:.I love going to the coinstar with a big jar full of dug up coins. The money I get always goes to more MD accessories and is a nice way to keep the hobby paying for itself.

I agree, that's MD money right there!

Between the stuff I've found I think I've about paid for the yard sale CTX and one of my Fisher machines. I need to find more to pay for all the accessories I got and the other Fisher though, and now my water hunting gear. I better get busy! :lol:

Great haul BB. Now you can feed the CTX some more batteries when it needs them.:lol:

:lol::lol: I did finally get the rechargeable battery from the yard sale people so my AA pack is a backup, they're rechargeable too. Does this mean I can go crazy buying other neato stuff instead of batteries? :lol::laughing:

:lol::lol: I did finally get the rechargeable battery from the yard sale people so my AA pack is a backup, they're rechargeable too. Does this mean I can go crazy buying other neato stuff instead of batteries? :lol::laughing:

Next time BB take the credit card and just go crazy. If you husband ask why you purchased three new detectors and four PPers just tell him you feel it's your duty to keep the coinstar in business. Besides, men like crazy women.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom