Another gold ring

X

Xray

Found another gold ring today at a woodchip playground [no weapons this time]. Marked 18k, with 4 stones that are likely real.
Almost passed this one by, and I'll tell you why.
It showed in the foil range, and I know gold sometimes does this. But this signal was bouncing around all over the foil scale, which on the 250 I beleive has 3 notches, one on either side of a nickel. It bounced to all 3, and gold usually tends to stay on one consistantly.
In other words, this ring was acting exactly like foil, and having seen 1,000's of foil signals do this, and foil being very common in tot lots, I almost passed, but it had a very crisp pinpoint, so I dug it up under a couple inches of chips, and there is was.
Also found some misc junk lewelry, and about $5 in clad.

Attachments

• 100_1272rr (Medium).jpg
    100_1272rr (Medium).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 314
Nice looking ring Jesse... What is the center stone? I can't tell from the piccy...

There have been a lot of great wood chip finds the last year! Good going. (I think I need to get going to the wood chips.) Cladius.

Thanks everyone.
The center, Craig, is just air with a little gold heart in the middle [upside down in the pic], flanked by 2 stones on either side.
Gotta break out my spud wrench [a great tapering tool] to round this baby up.

My heart is in the old stuff, but cleaning out playgrounds is way to much fun, and realitively easy, to pass up.
I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried them yet. Easy pickins, just waiting for you or someone else to ping them.
As a side note, to anyone concerned about not wanting to be around kids at a play area ... Wait until dark. Get a head mounted LED flashlight, and your good to go.

Beautiful ring, congrats! And you are right, don't pass of the tot-lots, they are great to hunt on those days you don't have a lot of time. Always something to be found in them.

Way to go Xray! I haven't done any woodchip playgrounds but I think your recent finds have inspired me to take a look at them more closely. Nice ring.

Nice find! I have also found a few rings that acted that way. After retrieving them I swept the area again and there was some iron junk nearby.

When in doubt, dig .... and in a playground, that is effort well spent. :P

Rudy, iron could be a factor at times.
In this case, the ring simply must have fooled the circuitry into beleiving it was foil.
Rings can fall in various ranges depending on composition, depth, angle and other things, but they are nearly always a steady signal, not a bouncing one like this one was.
There really are no hard and set rules when it comes to detecting.
What proved true 99 times in a row might well get turned inside out on # 100, which is one of the things that actually make detecting enjoyable and challenging.
As you say, dig dig dig - Its good to get them play areas cleaned up of metal anyhow.

Nice finds Jesse.

Hey, I just noticed you have a Quattro now... How do you like it? Which one did you get?

Joe G said:
Nice finds Jesse.

Hey, I just noticed you have a Quattro now... How do you like it? Which one did you get?

I got it a week ago, and haven't had the chance to mess with it yet. I'm going to wait until the work schedule lightens and the weather improves before I explore its capabilities [is there more than one Minelab Quattro] ?
I have done some quick testing in the basement, and it certainly has some chirps and weird tones that will take some getting used to after being accustomed to the single ding of the 250.
As the graphic display is quite a bit more complex than the 250, that will take some getting used to. I liked the ability to see foil/gold/penny/quarter indications ect ... Now it appears I must convert all that to numbers [ie if it thinks its a coin, it just pops up a generic coin icon, along with numbers that I suppose represent different coins, instead of the straight forward, no brainer 250 approach, which flat out tells you what coin it thinks it is].
So far, its pinpointing abilities seem horrendous to me ... And right now its hard for me to see how I'm going to tell exactly where under that big ten inch coil the target is out in the field when I can't even do it with a coin in sight. I have been prowling minelab forums, and this seems to be a common complaint.
I have heard an 8 inch coil not only greatly improves its pinpointing, but makes it much better at plucking out coins among trash ... So I'm likely going to go with the 8 inch right off the bat.
I'll be sure to post an in-depth review after I've had it in the field for awhile.

simonthesearcher said:
Did you find the badge first because you really did use your head on that one

You know, I was puzzled at first by this "using your head" thing, now the obvious has hit me, and I figured it out [by using my head, of course].
I was thinking you guys were referring to my habit of smashing my head on monkey bars detecting play areas at night.

I have the ExpII... Pinpointing with a DD coil is not really that bad once you get the knack. A target will be anywhere along the hot strip in the middle. You need to "X" out the target... When you do, the target will be right in the middle (on mine it's under the minelab logo). I just tried out the Sunray 12.5" coil and was still able to find my targets pretty accurately (without pinpoint mode)

The tones are something you'll get used to once you start recognizing and digging up good targets. The numbers are helpful but personally, I've been leaning heavier on just listening.

Go slow. You should probably check out the Findmall Quattro forum for help.

Nice finds Jesse! Makes me want to get out to the nearest playground. Heck, I'll MD under the neighbor's swing set if I have to. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom