OK, am I weird?

Didn't mean to insinuate there was anything wrong with doing it? I get the tinkering thing. Why, I myself "Tinker". You're absolutely right, what a given tinkerer decides to tinker on, matters not to anyone, other than the tinkerer themselves. It's the tinkering that ,matters. You should see some of my projects. Tink away my friend.

I didn't take it as such.

LOL....I've got a few projects slid under the bench. The only day they'll see the light of is trash day :lol:

I like my Lesche and the offset blade. I don't have trouble with leverage at all. I use the offset to dig under the sod if my target is in the side of the hole and under roots. I lean on it pretty hard and never felt it would break.

I've had the Fiskers tool, 2 of them in fact. I broke the first on at the handle.

From what a local cop friend has told me (cause I was worried about this very thing digging with a large lesche in a public park) With the blade being offset classifies it as a digging/gardening trowel. Blade directly inline with the handle aka "tang" it is then classified as a "knife/weapon" and in some states a knife that big can catch you a felony charge.

From what a local cop friend has told me (cause I was worried about this very thing digging with a large lesche in a public park) With the blade being offset classifies it as a digging/gardening trowel. Blade directly inline with the handle aka "tang" it is then classified as a "knife/weapon" and in some states a knife that big can catch you a felony charge.

Only, it's a hand shovel, so ... yeah

Great thread Gauntlet!

+1 on the hori hori for yards and parks. Not great at scooping dirt but allows me to cut neat plugs, cuts roots and is sturdy enough for prying. Thought I had broke it more than once, turns out it just slid out from under a rock, root or target that wasn't yet ready to be free.

For less sensitive ground, fields and woods, I get by with a mini D-handle shovel (Stanley) that was on clearance at TSC for around $8.00 and has been part of my truck gear for a couple of years.

Who told you THAT? :laughing:

I actually have a couple screwdrivers I notched 1" heavy flat washers to fit the tip into, and welded them up. It's a hybrid coin-popper/mini-trowel :yes:

This is brilliant! I'm gonna make a couple myself.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Only, it's a hand shovel, so ... yeah

Yup.

In some states, a hammer and a screwdriver in your vehicle can be construed as burglary tools. A baseball bat without cleats and a glove equals a weapons charge.

Officer discretion aside, this is why I do not travel in states like Jersey.

I had a Lesche before, didn't like it, sold it. I bought another a couple years ago with the Garrett PP "deal", thinking I'd give it another shot.....still don't like it.

I was using the Fiskars for years, started 1st with the Lowes, still them all, but my new favorite is the Garrett I made a post on a few days ago.

I'd tried to find a Hori-Hori locally a couple weeks ago, but no luck. I still may try one, but I see no need at this point to replace the Garrett.

Whatever I use, has to have a inline blade/handle.
I've only ever used my hori-hori. Never bent. I just sharpen it occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I tried a dagger, then the Fiskars Big Grip, neither one worked for me. I hate that Fiskars Big Grip! Terrible design! So, I got the Lesche, because everyone loves on it. It's okay, I guess. I still want to try the Raptor, it looks the best to me, makes great plugs on U-Tube videos, and scoops dirt out of holes, unlike the Lesche. Bought a Piranha for ease of use, and reputation, but still not satisfied, thinking about getting a Raven and a Ground Shark, I dunno. I need the apprentice wizard's spell so I can make the shovels dig by themselves. ;)

serveimage
Saw a guy have his big bastard dog dig on command. My tiny Lassa-apso dog looked at me. We both rolled our eyes and moved on.

That doesn't look like my Hori-Hori. Mine has a thicker blade and handle. It doesn't have the notch either. My new one is on the right. The other is my 30+ year old 3-in-1 knife that is about as close to a Hori-Hori as you can get. You can see how much it has been used in that time. They were about the same size when I started. I have never had one feel like it might break which is more than I can say for the Lesche I had until I lost it.
(Update: I have since replace my newer Hori-Hori for one that has a guard. I don't really see any difference in them.) You can buy them on Amazon starting about $15.00.
View attachment 393864
Yep, I miss a guard too

I had a lesche. I found it uncomfortable too. It also hurt my wrist. I sold it and went back to a butcher knife. I've been using them for years. I can quickly cut clean deep plugs with them plus you can usually pick one up at a yard sale for around a buck

Shock

I believe when stabbing hard ground, the offset handle allows any shock to your arm to be minimized. I once used a hammer with a steel handle (there was no padding) for 8 hours and it did not bother me until the next day, My arm was sore for a month.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom