Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Birddog1911 View post
Another thought. I haven't used headphones before, but my thinking would be that in a bad area, they probably aren't a good idea. You'd just be reducing an already important sense even more, in terms of situational awareness.
I don't wear headphones in Detroit unless I am underwater. I watch at all times and I always go with a friend or a group of friends. Not much fun or relaxation but there is some good coins to be found.

This hobby is supposed to relieve stress. Not cause new ones! My thoughts are it really isn't worth it but others enjoy it so be part of the group and help if you are needed. We all used to carry in one way or another. Mine was always visible.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Head on a swivel, for sure.

Too much of a swivel and you are the one everyone is swiveling for. !!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Nice grouping

Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 AM

Great for C.C. and extremely Comfortable
> https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-24...53,2334/1&dl=b

Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Supporter

Presently I have a .38 SPL Charter Arms light frame, got one for the Wife too.....Nice little simple rigs...I'm happy with it, its capable....I used to shoot and reload a whole lot, 357..Used to buy my components from Mels Ammo Cache out in Rapid City SD by the 5000 count..

He got the Black Hills overruns and a guy could reload a 357 with 158gr wadcutters for about a nickle per back then...primer and powder included...

I have been out of it for 30yrs though, but it all came back just like riding a bicycle...We went and put in some range time just to see....Lot of fun and a good date night!

Gotta get the Concealed Permit though...A guy here told me a fellow can apply for one on line, through the DNR...said it was cheaper and pretty easy...I gotta get that done..the bummer is, I'm always at schools detecting...So hey..

I made a very comfortable ankle holster out of the sleeve of an old Neoprene wetsuit, it slips up over your sock and the revolver tucks down into it....

The fatter and older a guy gets, he just dont want to fight anymore, and he for sure cant run as fast as he used to! Its time...

Thats a nice group there Dee! like shooting the little red 'star' out of that one game at the carnival!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

I thought you meant your going to hide your detector while hunting....

Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM

I suppose for those in non-free areas, you've always got that fancy serrated digging shovel! That would do some damage!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Freshwater Shark

I could have done better. I haven't shot since fall. However if it would have been a perp I think I would have neutralized the threat.

Like you Mud, I also used to reload and I shot a ton of bullets in the past. I wasn't a cop that just carried my weapon, I used them.

Got my fingerprints taken today and submitted all my paperwork. Now I just wait to get my CLP in the mail.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM

How long is the process in your area? Last renewal I had, it took close to 90 days. But, the county was working with the new state process. I'm hoping that my renewal this year will be much quicker.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Freshwater Shark

How long is the process in your area? Last renewal I had, it took close to 90 days. But, the county was working with the new state process. I'm hoping that my renewal this year will be much quicker.
45 days max. We were told approx two weeks. I might have it when I fly back from Cancun.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

I also carry concealed.....I carry my Glock 42 (.380)

Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM

I used to carry my Colt 1911 exclusively, but I decided I needed something with greater capacity, depending on the area that I travel to. So, my other carry pistol is a FN FNS-9L Longslide, with 2 spare mags. I'm well covered.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

In Kansas you don't need a license to carry in the open or concealed. Just curious, do you have to qualify with the same gun you are going to carry or can you carry anything once you qualify? I used to live on a farm and shooting and reloading (even cast my own bullets) was my main hobby. The 1911 will always be the handgun of my choice since it's accurate and has great stopping power. The size and weight never bothered me.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM

I want my $100 for the non resident permit I got! Love that they did this though.

Originally Posted by Jeepfreak81 View post
I have a concealed carry permit but a year after I got it, NH passed a law that the permit is no longer needed. I want my $10 back, lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Elite Member

Smile

I used to reload a lot mostly for rifle also for 44 mag and 357.
The super blackhawk 44 mag has good stopping power, but hard to conceal.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM

We've been trying to get conceal carry without a permit here in Colorado, but it's been a tough battle.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Supporter

I also prefer concealed. S&W Shield 9mm in the waist band and NAA Pug in the pocket.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
In Kansas you don't need a license to carry in the open or concealed. Just curious, do you have to qualify with the same gun you are going to carry or can you carry anything once you qualify? I used to live on a farm and shooting and reloading (even cast my own bullets) was my main hobby. The 1911 will always be the handgun of my choice since it's accurate and has great stopping power. The size and weight never bothered me.
No. Once you qualify you can carry any pistol you want. Revolver, semi-auto, anything.

One thing strange about Michigan though is you are NOT allowed to protect your personal property. If someone had the jump on me and took my 60 grand truck, I would just have to let them drive off, unless I felt my life is in danger.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
No. Once you qualify you can carry any pistol you want. Revolver, semi-auto, anything.

One thing strange about Michigan though is you are NOT allowed to protect your personal property. If someone had the jump on me and took my 60 grand truck, I would just have to let them drive off, unless I felt my life is in danger.
Wouldn't they have to threaten your life to get you to give up your truck?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by Grumpa View post
Wouldn't they have to threaten your life to get you to give up your truck?
Yea but if they have the drop on you, very unlikely you can take out your gun and get them. You sure can't take it out and get them after they are driving away.