Mercury dime In Okinawa Japan

Pt1000

Why I can't figure it out why it is here...I probably will never find another while I'm here. More likely to find UXO than another one of these. 47343157-C356-4933-99A8-27A08FD98DFD.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than likely it was dropped by a US soldier in WWII, just an opinion based on the brass shells. Nice hunt though.

More than likely it was dropped by a US soldier in WWII, just an opinion based on the brass shells. Nice hunt though.

I found half corroded brass shells and a 1942 Mercury Dime on some of the beaches when I was in Guam, without a metal detector. That island is littered with stuff. WWII brought a lot of people to the Pacific region, I wouldn't be surprised if you found another or something else that amazes you.

I would have gone with that theory too except the park is relatively new past the time of the war and also the coin has a lot of wear on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okinawa was invaded by the US on April 1st 1945. We have been there ever since. I have NO idea when your dime was minted but Roosevelt's were first minted in 1946. So mercs had to be circulated or carried when the island was invaded.

Just because a park is new doesn't mean the dirt wasn't moved and before it was a park the dime was there but too deep for a detector to find. The dirt in the park also could have been brought in from somewhere else.

My guess is you found a coin that a soldier lost, in battle or right after the war.

When I was there, I used to ride my bike down the hill on Kadina to the beach. I found bullets that were imbeded in the coral along with buckles. A somber reminder of a very fierce battle that was fought there.

Get certified diving while you are there if you like water. The rule was that any WW2 stuff that was deeper than wading water at low tide was to be left there.

We found hand grenades, ammo all fused together from ammo boxes that were sunk and the box rotted away. A depth charge, naval shells that were huge, mortars and lots of other WW2 artifacts. The water is absolutely beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom