New Guy with lots of questions

rog

Hello. Just joined. I'm not currently doing metal detecting ... I intended to get into it about 15 years ago and bought a White's Silver Eagle. I went out and used it about 10 minutes and it stopped working. I called Whites and was informed that it sounded like a fuse went bad. I was then told that the fuse could not be replaced by a consumer but the detector had to be returned to the factory (at my expense) for a new fuse. I threw the detector in the closet and haven't touched it since.

I now have the need to find a metal survey stake on the old family farm in Texas and was wondering if a metal detector would work as the metal stake is supposedly buried in the ground on a fence line that has had various metal fences (barbed wire and hog wire) on it for the last 90 years (currently has a Gaucho barbed wire fence with the bottom wire about 5.5 inches above the ground). The fences have been replaced over the years when the old ones rust and fall to pieces. The ground therefore is full of fencing, staples and rust and it is in heavy brush (called thicket in Texas) so that you usually have to cut your way through to walk.

My questions are:

a. Can a metal detector detect an iron (3/8") stake in the ground full of buried rusty fencing and discriminate between the stake and the debris?

b. Would the Whites I have be useful for this purpose IF it were repaired and working properly?

c. Can the White's fuse be replaced without sending it back to the factory?

d. Should I look at buying another detector that would allow me to find this stake?

Thank you
Rog

I'm betting you task is simpler than you think.
Unless there's been a major upheaval in the area you should be able to guess at the approximate locate of the corner spike you are seeking. That stake, probably apiece of rebar, is going to throw a strong signal and be obviously different from other buried trash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I had a garrett sea hunter that sounded loud on big iron.
A detector cant really tell iron stake from barbed wire just bigger iron might sound louder.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll have to buy a new detector and learn to use it before my next attempt to locate the rod. I spent 6 days cutting through the brush to run a tape measure from the corner of the property. I ran the tape 3 times and came within 10 inches of the measurement (1164 ft) each time. I then spent 2 days between rains digging through roots and old wire and never could locate the stake.

The survey map said the spot was marked with a 3/8" IR (iron rod) so I don't know if its rebar or not. The survey company only marked the corners and did not plot or list any other features like cross fences. They did not put any flags or markers on the fences or anywhere else ... they just buried these rods "somewhere". When I called them they said they'd be glad to come out and show me where the rods were if I paid them another $500. I declined. I'd rather spend the money on a detector and locate it myself.

The only reason Whites wants you to send the detector to them , is to make money. If it is the fuse, It is soldered in. You can change it if you can solder.

What are out if it don't work.
Do you have a friend that is good with electronics. Maybe they can help you.
I had one of them detectors many years ago. They are good.. KEN :D

Mr. dirtykneese,

Thanks for the reply. It's been years now but I opened it up thinking I could solder a fuse in but I couldn't even see anything in there that I could ID as a fuse. I'm guessing that its part of the board. Its been a long time since I tinkered with it so I'll have to open it up and try to find it again. I was hoping that someone had done the replacement and could tell me where to find it but no joy.

Cheers!

I used to do surveying so I can give you an opinion anyway... It all depends on what kind of junk is in the ground at your property corner and if the rebar is still there, and how deep it is.

I've found them as deep as 3 1/2 feet in Colorado clay dirt, so it's yes, no, or maybe will a detector find it. Maybe not. I'd borrow a detector or get someone with a detector to come try and find it instead of buying one just for this.

If it's deep, you'll really need a pin finder to get it. They're not like a normal detector, kind of a specialized tool and go for high bucks. I have one but am in Oklahoma and Texas is a big place for me to offer to come hunt down your corner :lol:

If all else fails the third and last free option is to get yourself a shovel and dig carefully where you believe the corner marker to be and try to find it that way. The trouble here is a) finding the pin and b) not moving or disturbing the pin.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom