My 2013 Finds a little late I know but.....they're good

Safari Scott

Elite Member
Well 2013 ended up turning out to be a great year once again. My only goal was 100 silvers and to keep finding a nice mix of finds. Started the year hitting a nice RR tag cache and ended up with 20 tags on the year. Also ended up with 31 Coppers, 40 Indian Head and 126 Silver Coins. Pulled one absolutely ridiculous coin this year the 1737 Higley Granby Copper. Also ended up with my first Seated Half and first Seated Quarter. Found out recently I also dug my oldest coin yet a well worn King William. Along the way I managed a nice pile of silver jewelry, some nice colonial artifacts and a couple gold rings. It was also great hunting with some great people Terry, Dave, Drew, Brandon, Steve and my new group of friends Jesse, Alan, Jason, and Justin. Hopefully 2014 will end up being a great year as well........I'm going to work on hunting more colonial places............so we'll see how things turn out.

Attachments

• 2013 finds 1.jpg
    2013 finds 1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,067
  • 2013 finds 2.jpg
    2013 finds 2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2,090
  • 2013 finds 3.jpg
    2013 finds 3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,092
  • 2013 finds 4.jpg
    2013 finds 4.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 2,073
  • 2013 finds 5.jpg
    2013 finds 5.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2,083
  • 2013 finds 9.jpg
    2013 finds 9.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2,034
  • 2013 finds 8.jpg
    2013 finds 8.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,036
  • 2013 finds 7.jpg
    2013 finds 7.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,028
  • 2013 finds 6.jpg
    2013 finds 6.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,073
Heckuva year! Congrats on all the finds and for exceeding your goal!

Looks like you had an awesome season!
And thanks for the reminder, I have not posted my 2013 finds yet. Too busy on here drooling over everyone else's LOL!

Looks like you had an awesome season!
And thanks for the reminder, I have not posted my 2013 finds yet. Too busy on here drooling over everyone else's LOL!

Thanks. It took me a while, looking at everyone else's. Then taking a break from digging to sort everything and actually list it. Luckily we had snow yesterday so I had a chance to get it done.

Congrats on a great year! Curious about the wide bracelet in the 4th pic. On the left. What designs are on it? The style looks like some Coastal/Inuit ones I have owned before.

Congrats on a great year! Curious about the wide bracelet in the 4th pic. On the left. What designs are on it? The style looks like some Coastal/Inuit ones I have owned before.

I'm not sure about the braclet......it's marked sterling and was found at a 1750 farm house that still stands. Here's a better pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,880
Hrmmmmm. Could be NW Coast but not certain. Not a real traditional pattern, usually Eagles/Ravens/Fish/Eyes (Totem pole type stuff) I may be wrong, not as familiar with the NW Coast stuff so there may be some floral variations. The reason I thought so is the style it was built in, cupped in at the edges and crowned in the middle. May be an older one.

Google Northwest Coast Silver Bracelet (or add vintage) and look at some images you will see what I am talking about. Great finds! Thanks for sharing!

Attachments

• nw coast bracelet.jpg
    nw coast bracelet.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,873
That is an absolutely PHENOMENAL year... Wow... More than anything else, your collection of ornate shoe buckles is really impressive to me - just beautiful...

And the Higley copper - just amazing... Now, here's a theory for you and please take it with a grain of salt... It looks like instead of a standard rim holing as was used on many coins to be worn on a necklace or sewn into clothing, this piece was center holed a bit more... what's more, it looks to me more of a squarish hole than a circular one...

Coins were once hammered to the masts of ships as a good luck charm - one of our hunters up here in Maine found an Oak Tree shilling that had been similarly punched... So, any chance you found yours on the beach or near the coast? Just an idea... Either way, a stellar, rare find. Congrats on your amazing digs and hope 2014 is just as good to you...

That is an absolutely PHENOMENAL year... Wow... More than anything else, your collection of ornate shoe buckles is really impressive to me - just beautiful...

And the Higley copper - just amazing... Now, here's a theory for you and please take it with a grain of salt... It looks like instead of a standard rim holing as was used on many coins to be worn on a necklace or sewn into clothing, this piece was center holed a bit more... what's more, it looks to me more of a squarish hole than a circular one...

Coins were once hammered to the masts of ships as a good luck charm - one of our hunters up here in Maine found an Oak Tree shilling that had been similarly punched... So, any chance you found yours on the beach or near the coast? Just an idea... Either way, a stellar, rare find. Congrats on your amazing digs and hope 2014 is just as good to you...

Thanks.

The Higley was actually found about 30 miles from the coast. It appears to be a square nail hole like you said.........I never knew the theory of them being attached to ships that is quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom