90 minute hunt nets me a merc

T-Man

Elite Member
Had a little free time yesterday afternoon before dinner so I walked out the woods behind my house. Foliage is finally starting to die off with winter on it's way so I can actually get back in there again. Most of the time I don't get much more than headstamps and thought yesterday was going to be the same after digging about a dozen of them and not much of anything else. Was getting close to calling it quits when I got that sweet sounding high tone on the ATP, solid 83, knew it was silver before even digging the plug. Had a bit of a root mess when trying to recover it so I did flip it into the leaves when trying to get it out. Found it none the less, did the happy dance and went home. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 268
  • woods.jpg
    woods.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 234
Thanks everyone, went back there for a few more hours yesterday, only headstamps... At least I got out.

Quite cool that you can just walk out the back door and start hunting, expecting to find silver! Congrats on the merc! :)

Wouldn't go so far as to say expecting to find silver, Old wooded park is about a half mile up a hill behind my house to close enough to walk to but in the summer it's pretty much out of the question the brush is so thick. Go out there in a t-shirt and by the time I get home it looks like I was in a knife fight with some gang. That said I have found most of my silver in those woods, merc, barbers, a seated, even pulled my first gold ring out of there. Add in maybe half a dozen IH's and some interesting relics. Can't even say there say there is a specific spot with higher concentrations then others. It's close to home, trash is minimal, (unless you count headstamps which I've probably got a thousand of out of there) I may get 1 silver out of every 20 hours of hunting out there. Being roughly 2 hour hunts on average it's about 1 every 10 trips. Just enjoy the peace and quiet out there so even if I don't find anything it's a relaxing hunt.

This is also where T-Man goes to contemplate those funny as Hell things he says from time to time...:lol: A high sense of humor and a low sense of expectation allows a man to survive a long time these days!
Woods hunting is not my forte,but when I do...I also have low expectations. Your advantage is what you’ve found before,and with 4 generations of silver in the game,I’d be marching right out there as often as possible!
Nice detail on that one T-Man,I hope you do it again soon!:grin:

Nice score on the Merc. :thumbsup:

I have some woods in my backyard as well, but I mostly have been just finding trash. Latest find there was a completely buried 55 gal. drum. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom