Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

Question E-trac coil upgrade over 11" pro? Looking for more depth

I'm in PA now and hunting some old parks/sports fields, so far hitting some pretty deep dimes at about 8-9 inches. I know there has to be some deeper finds. I'm wondering if I need to get a larger coil. Any suggestions? My 11" is running auto sens +3 hitting about 25-26, so not too bad. It's a huge upgrade to dig in PA from TN and Alabama. It's so amazing to dig coins almost 10" deep and find silver.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions - I'm looking to gain at least 2 inches more of depth if possible.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2017, 02:35 PM

I don't have an Etrac but I have played a little bit (testing only) with the 17" coil vs the stock on a CTX and definitely can see a little more depth and/or better signal with the larger coil. Nothing earth shattering, but easily an inch or a little more or getting a clearer, steadier signal over an "iffy" one that's very weak or jumps all over the place. Results should be similar with the Etrac I would think.
Weight would be the only prohibiting factor, but if you have a harness and you aren't hunting in a really trashy area, I think the larger coil would be a bit more productive.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Supporter

I like the NEL Tornado coil. I have used it with great success with several different detectors including the E Trac

Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Supporter

I've only used the stock and the Detech Ultimate 13 and the U13 sees items in my test garden my stock coil doesn't

Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

I had an ultimate coil on my Etrac some years ago, it was slightly deeper, but not 2" deeper.
My Signum with 13" coil @6khz is easily 3"+ deeper on quarter size silver compared the the Etrac with stock coil.

1 members found this post helpful.