Old maps?

Noktrnl

Hey everyone! I've spent hours the past few nights looking for old maps that show where houses and buildings previously stood but can't find anything even close. Most older maps I've found of my area don't actually show houses or anything, just general mapping of the area. I'm in Southern Utah and would highly appreciate any help!

Hey everyone! I've spent hours the past few nights looking for old maps that show where houses and buildings previously stood but can't find anything even close. Most older maps I've found of my area don't actually show houses or anything, just general mapping of the area. I'm in Southern Utah and would highly appreciate any help!

I have the same prob...

The County library or the County records office should have a whole range of different maps? If they do in your neck of the woods, look for tithe maps or better still, maps with field names! Field name maps tend to show the oldest activity that took place in that specific area. In the U.K. if say, for example, we came across a field that said Roman Bank it is quite obvious what we are likely to find there?

I went to the local history room at my library and got physical copies of maps dating back to the 1800s that listed businesses and houses by the names of the owners because they were from before street names were listed on them. They were too old and large for a Xerox but I brought along a digital camera and took nice detailed pics of the sections I was interested in and printed them out at home so I could take notes on them.

Without street names it can be tough to figure out where these streets are today but if you are good at reading maps you can compare them to google maps. You would be surprised how accurate some map makers were a few hundred years ago before they had the means of getting sattelite images.

Back
Top Bottom