Guide to selecting a Salt-beach / Salt-water Detector

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
Having trouble using your detector at the beach? Read this...

Since the 1960's, enthusiasts have learned to make adjustments to single-frequency VLF detectors to find targets at salt water beaches. Newer machines may even have special software programs to help compensate for salt water, but often times these adjustments lose depth and/or sensitivity to small targets, give random erroneous signals, and eminate noisy chatter. For those of you plagued with these results, a great alternative is upgrading to a multi-frequency or pulse induction machine.

Multi-frequency detectors will compensate for the conductive salt and mineralization, and usually without losing depth and sensitivity. Further benefits of M/F detecdtors include typically running quiet and giving an honest signal, e.g., if it beeps, there is a real target. M/F detectors consequently cost more than most S/F detector and that price increases if you want them waterproof. Perhaps the key benefit of a M/F detector is it can discriminate unwanted targets like iron. This means you can cherry pick targets and make the most use of limited time.

PI or pulse induction detectors are the cost efficient alternative to MF detectors. They work great in salt water, but the caveat is they do not discriminate (well).

The following chart provides a list of the major manufactures of MF and PI detectors. You can use this list to narrow your selection of a competent salt-water detector. Also be sure to contact our forum sponsors (dealers) for the best price and availability!

Happy Hunting! -David

MD11_zpsl971ea9p.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 9J_kQl1fnLXUynL9XoLQLw_T7e-m4E1WIOqkJQHUp_MJWNzrSZfgqzw-3xsBAspqqrm5I6CjPrruiZ_5a_lv0VNlSmh0egFb.jpg
    9J_kQl1fnLXUynL9XoLQLw_T7e-m4E1WIOqkJQHUp_MJWNzrSZfgqzw-3xsBAspqqrm5I6CjPrruiZ_5a_lv0VNlSmh0egFb.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8,120
Last edited:
Original thread had replys to suggestions. They've been added and the post was replaced with Metal Detecting Memes. Enjoy!

Attachments

• MD00.jpg
    MD00.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 4,639
  • MD0.jpeg
    MD0.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5,494
  • md01.jpg
    md01.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,934
  • md02.jpg
    md02.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,929
  • md03.jpg
    md03.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4,325
  • md06.jpg
    md06.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,854
  • c92ef325f8ca01dab1ee34fdf13f8cea.jpg
    c92ef325f8ca01dab1ee34fdf13f8cea.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4,044
  • bd0d46691e95da99f6435ecdf71d5e6b.jpg
    bd0d46691e95da99f6435ecdf71d5e6b.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4,143
  • md04.jpg
    md04.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 4,008
Last edited:
That's some really excellent info! Thanks for creating this! I ended up making something similar for my personal use when I was researching potential upgrades.

How about including DetectorPro's Underwater and Pirate/PiratePro detectors. I think they are the models DetectorPro is currently selling, and they are VLFs. I saw a couple detector comparison videos of the Underwater model being used it salt water conditions and it seemed quite good for it.

Also, perhaps adding a data field for price range would be good? Most of the time when one is looking for this sort of info one is interested in first-time-buying or upgrading and in either case price range is a pretty important factor.

Anyhow, thanks for posting this! I'd say once you've perfected it you should probably get it stickyed up at the top. That way when this section gets the inevitable- 'looking for a salt water machine- what should I get?' questions, they can refer to your chart easily.

David, for what it is worth, the CZ-20 does have led lights that glow when you are over a target that isn't discriminated out. Nice chart
10-4, I made the revisions.... now some more cartoons...

Attachments

• 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3,779
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3,812
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4,046
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,825
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,531
Last edited:
How about including DetectorPro's Underwater and Pirate/PiratePro detectors.
These are not included because they are single frequency VLF detectors. As such, they work great on dry sand, but on wet sand or submergered they have excessive chatter, false, and require diminished sensitivity in order to cope with the conditions. FYI - these were first hand results from myself and two forum members that used a tuned-diver, stock wader, and (2) new PP w/ NEL coil machines.

..perhaps adding a data field for price range ...
10-4, added!

Last edited:
More revisions implemented.... more comics added in their place....

Attachments

• 0007.GIF
    0007.GIF
    74.5 KB · Views: 4,013
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3,798
Last edited:
Look at those rig prices! Huge financial 'Barrier of Entry' into Beach/Water Hunting! Add a scoop and other gear, and Man!...The ROI potential is miniscule! Add tanks and a compressor like Scubadee? Oh boy! He will be in debt for years to come!

Great chart there Dave! Hopefully others will take note of the financials and not even bother to attempt this!!!:laughing:

Look at those rig prices! Huge financial 'Barrier of Entry' into Beach/Water Hunting! Add a scoop and other gear, and Man!...The ROI potential is miniscule! Add tanks and a compressor like Scubadee? Oh boy! He will be in debt for years to come!

Hey Mud, I am paying off my debt one and two cents a dive. You also forgot my electric bill for having my own compressor.

The electric company decided that I would be happy not only paying my fair share but they decided to TRIPLE charge me for everything!

This was just before I got it up and running! Hopefully the problem will be repaired soon.

Your chart is great. One comment however about showing MSRP prices. The actual selling price for new machines these days is based on the MAP - or Minimum Advertised Price. No dealer can advertise a price below MAP but they are free to sell at any price that they are willing to take. The CZ21 for example has a current MAP of $1299. That's $500 less than the MSRP. If you deal for one at - let's say $1250, you should be able to ise it for 3 years and sell it for $900 - that's only a bit over $100/year - not many big boy hobby tools that cheap!

Too many discontinued detectors on that list, but really good effort!
I agree! Manufactures have discontinued some really great salt water beach machines!! :(:no:
Also wish some of these were still in production. I still include them so if a closet queen pops up for sale, buyers can get a feel for the detector specs.

Look at those rig prices! Huge financial 'Barrier of Entry' into Beach/Water Hunting!
:lol: That's right! Everyone go hunt the great lakes instead! :laughing:

Hey Mud, I am paying off my debt one and two cents a dive...
Great Lakes guys have the best sense/cents of humor! :laughing:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,754
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 3,755
Last edited:
Your chart is great. One comment however about showing MSRP prices...
Thanks! I hear what your saying about the prices. In previous posts I stirred up a few hornet's nests when posting the actual prices or deals that some dealers have offered. MSRP is neutral....hopefully keeps everyone happy

So what do we need? Something new perhaps?

I suggest a $1200 (actual street price) splash proof, light weight detector which has simultaneous multifrequency operation.

Will Minelab bring us one? My own thinking is that they won't - it would badly dent the CTX sales. Perhaps they would if they think that they can make it up on volume.

First Texas (Fisher) talked about something like that 2 years ago in a "leaked" distributor presentation - the "CZX". Nothing has emerged, but their large engineering staff are still getting paid, so I have hope!

For beach only, there is still the possibility of a PI detector with good iron rejection to usable depth. To date, no such machine has made it to market. Interestingly, First Texas recently hired the French engineer who designed and built this machine - called the Aquamanta (or Manta).

Here's a link to A post I made about this a while ago - DaviDs commented on it.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2792522#post2792522

Here's a link to a long article by Alexandre - courtesy of google translate

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kCFdZrzI4kdXU1aTQzdjBqNUk

I suggest a $1200 (actual street price) splash proof, light weight detector which has simultaneous multifrequency operation.
For under $1k, the White's Beach Hunter is a MF-VLF with LED indicators that is fully waterproof and submersible to 25 feet. It has a manual GB instead of the Excal/CZ/CTX's auto GB, but at this price, it can be excellent way to start salt-water hunting.

...First Texas recently hired the French engineer who designed and built this machine - called the Aquamanta (or Manta)...
I read your post (which was fascinating) and connected with him on LinkedIn.

IMO, when Fisher developed the digital CZ-7 lineup it was really a game changer for the industry. It was a MF machine with a visual display and splashproof (I had mine briefly submerged in chest deep water with no issues). If their engineers had kept going with newer processors and full waterproof, they would have had a machine like a CTX but 20 years prior to the release of the CTX.

I'm really rooting for First Texas and hope they bring something new to the table. Enthusiasts would like it and the market needs it. Until then, ML has the edge.

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 4,025
Last edited:
The BHID was OK. Some on the west coast complained that it couldn't handle black sand. The little lights that gave you discrim. Info when you ran all metal were hard to see and probably impossible to see if you were left handed.

More significantly - it's no longer on Whites webpage - guess they ran out of parts.

Back
Top Bottom