What is the tool called???

Ganun

I am looking for a tool that cuts a plug very much like a geological tool to take sample cores. It has a cylinder that you plunge into the ground with a squeeze handle to push the core sample out so you can examine it. Does this ring a bell with anyone. What would I call it, do you know of anyone who has one or sells them?

Thanks in advance

Ganun

I know the one you're talking about, but I can't remember who makes it. Gopher something I think, but I'm not sure.

Here is my issue with plug poppers.. What if your pinpointing is off? then you have to make another hole and then you're going to have a big mess and lots of dead grass.

Its easier and better for the lawn if you leave a flap instead of cutting the grass completely out. Leaving a flap leaves some of the roots intact.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am not MDing in grassy areas, this is for the red Georgia clay that is under the sand at the beach by the lake I go to. I can't even get a pointed trowel into it. As anyone who has ever tried to so much as plant a flower in red Georgia clay, there isn't a harder substance known to man ;).

I really need an auger, but I know that would damage whatever I am digging for.

Ganun (who is a she, not a he)

Women confuse Craig a lot :D

I'd love to leave a flap of grass, but we don't have grass in Oklahoma :lol:

OkieDigger said:
Women confuse Craig a lot :D

I'd love to leave a flap of grass, but we don't have grass in Oklahoma :lol:

He's right... I got confused into getting married :D

Thanks again. Poppy, that is indeed the tool! This website is the BEST!! :yes:

damage to target

Ganun, That tool would be just as difficult to put into the hard clay. I have compacted shell (like brittle concrete)in a lot of places here. The only thing that breaks it up is a stiff thin bar or old large screwdriver and a hammer to break out chunks. Just keep it away from the target area, so as not to damage the coin or jewelry...Gil

I have one for sale if anyone is interested. I thought I would use it, but used it once and decided it was just too much for me to carry with all my other gear.

It cuts a 3"w x 3"w square plug very neatly and allows for digging in nice lawns.

Great if you are working grass turf without too much rocks.

$20, plus shipping

Attachments

• yardbutler.jpg
    yardbutler.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 204
brooklynct2003 said:
I have one for sale if anyone is interested. I thought I would use it, but used it once and decided it was just too much for me to carry with all my other gear.

It cuts a 3"w x 3"w square plug very neatly and allows for digging in nice lawns.

Great if you are working grass turf without too much rocks.

$20, plus shipping

Mine is designed for grass, but it does include a couple "steps" for you to step on and use your body weight to penetrate the soil or clay. Not sure if it will penetrate hard clay or not

That last tool looks like the same plugger they gave me with my ZOYSIA grass. You pop a plug and put the zoysia grass in. And it does go through just about anything with your body weight on the foot rests.

Back
Top Bottom