My First Dig Today Was A Morgan Silver Dollar

beephead

Elite Member
I haven't been detecting for months because of the heat and rock hard ground. Today I thought I'd give it a shot since the temperature dropped down into the sixties. My wife warned me not to over do it and mess my knee up again. She said that I should ease my way back into getting up and down so much.

After arriving at the site, a mid fifties home, I decided to work the edge of the sidewalk first. Right off I got a 97 on my detector screen and was pleasantly surprised to see a 1897 Morgan silver dollar pop out of the ground. Happy, Happy, Happy!

Even though the home wasn't that old, the site it's located on used to be an old plantation field. I've found Indian Head pennies in the area before, so I decided to dig it all after finding that old silver dollar. I'm glad that I did, my next dig about 5 feet away was an Buffalo nickel.

I went on to find 3 silver quarters, 5 wheat pennies and some clad coins. Not wanting to over do myself, I called it a day after about an hour and a half of detecting. The weather forecast says that we should get some cooler temperatures next week. I hope that we get some rain as well, we need some.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 694
Jeez. I wish some of that beephead luck would rub off on me, [emoji23]

Congrats on the Morgan and other finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!! I can't wait to experience that feeling of pulling one of those dollars out of the ground!! I've had a few signals that were promising... but of course they were old sprinkler heads. Congrats!

saaaweeeeet
Thanks! I'm glad that found the Morgan on the first dig, it got me fired up to do some more digging.

Wow! Talk about back with a vengeance! Your killing it right out of the gate! Great saves and easy on that knee.
Thanks! You just never know when you're going to hit a hot site until you give it a try.

Congrats and welcome to the Silver Dollar club. Awesome hunt.
Thanks! Those suckers are easy to find once you get your search coil over one.

Jeez. I wish some of that beephead luck would rub off on me, [emoji23]

Congrats on the Morgan and other finds.

Thanks! I was thinking about you today when I was swinging the search coil. I really thought that I would have found at least one Rosie. LOL

Wow, the metal detecting gods were missing you!
Thanks! It's all about location and carefully grid searching the site in both directions.

Nothing like popping out a giant silver coin! Awesome find man! Congrats!
Thanks! I'm lucky that I didn't hit it with my digging tool. It was stuck in the side of the hole. I removed it with my hand.

Congrats there beep, great hunting!
Thanks! I'm about to get the fever again.

My entire family enjoyed this post. Simply awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I got to use my newly acquired camera today for the first time. I love taking pictures!

That's a beauty! Awesome.
Thanks! It sure put a smile on my face.

Congrats on the Morgan! I'm still waiting to dig my first silver dollar - it's good to see you hitting the silver in a BIG way again! :cool:
Thanks! It's my first as well. I was thinking a week or so ago why I haven't found one. That one's off the bucket list now.

What a beautiful coin! Well done!

Thanks! I was just in right place at the right time. Any detector could have found it.

Congrats on the Awesome finds!
Thanks! It's impossible to keep up with all your super nice finds.

Congrats on the sweet finds
Thanks! Finding a Morgan was great. The 3 silver quarters were the icing on the cake

Amazing first day back at it!!!! Great finds!!!!:thumbsup:
Thanks! I'm a little sore. I'm taking the day off from detecting tomorrow.

Awesome!!!
Thanks! I got lucky.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom