Metal Detecting & my better 1/2

low tide

Elite Member
just don't get along. Any one else? Or am I the only lucky guy who gets to go out when I'm allowed to....

No, thats pretty common, which is strange...I thought for sure my Wife of 38 yrs would really get into this sport along side me, but she has absolutely NO interest! I cant figure it out? She loves to treasure hunt, does real well, Loves Precious Metals and coins and history, even eyeballs arrowheads way better than me, so I just dont know what the deal is when it comes to detecting?

Maybe its the headphones messing up her hair? I dont know, I just cant put my finger on it? She has ZERO interest in even giving it a go! She will take all my big finds without question, and certainly sees plenty of results of an awesome and productive sport.., She has no problem with me going out looking for things..

So yeah...for some reason, even in the best of teams, certain people take to this Sport and some do not...shrug?
Mud

I got to the point that I TELL my wife I am going and listen to her !!!!! about it. Better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Funny thing is she wants to keep all the nice jewelry I find. She once called my hobby gay which I got a kick out of.:laughing:

My wife goes with me most of the time. She can't swing a detector as it jacks up her arm, but she brings a book or her iPad and a chair. She also enjoys taking photos as I beep along and if I find something weird, she enjoys trying to identify it. I'd really like for her to hunt with me, I even put the small coil on the ATPro but no luck yet...

No, thats pretty common, which is strange...I thought for sure my Wife of 38 yrs would really get into this sport along side me, but she has absolutely NO interest! I cant figure it out? She loves to treasure hunt, does real well, Loves Precious Metals and coins and history, even eyeballs arrowheads way better than me, so I just dont know what the deal is when it comes to detecting?

Maybe its the headphones messing up her hair? I dont know, I just cant put my finger on it? She has ZERO interest in even giving it a go! She will take all my big finds without question, and certainly sees plenty of results of an awesome and productive sport.., She has no problem with me going out looking for things..

So yeah...for some reason, even in the best of teams, certain people take to this Sport and some do not...shrug?
Mud

Man!! That's exactly our story too. Mine LOVES to go to the beach, sits and reads, sunbathes, snorkels, shell hunts... but don't ask her to swing a detector, not even my light little ACE250. She's even gone along on park hunts and sat in the shade of a tree in her beach chair reading. But she loves old coins and especially foreign coins, snagged a bunch of the blingy things I find and totally encourages me to hunt most every chance I get. I think it's all the attention I get from other people, them watching me and approaching me with questions and all. And I'm not shy about talking to the "muggles" and answering their questions... just not her thing though I suppose.

My wife lets me go when I want, probably way too often. She asked me not long ago why I liked it so much. I told her it gets me outside, I like the anticipation of locating something and never really knowing what it is till unearthed, and it's just relaxing not being caught up in the daily grind all the time. She goes with sometimes and reads. But like once when I was really into fishing, she said better to let me go do something that interests me than running around chasing skirts or going to topless bars. She looks at my finds after every hunt and my catches every fishing trip. I come back dirty as hell and not reaking of purfume, more like fish guts and dirt now, so that gives her confirmation.

Between the wife & being my kids taxi driver constantly I can barely get out either. Typically need to wait for everyone to go to bed or get out and back before they are out of bed. Kind of a pain when I need to be up to goto work at 6am. Can't really swing till 1 in the morning, come home, shower and then be awake for work. Once winter sets in it gets better but summers are tough finding time.

My wife started out not caring for the hobby, and the time I was out detecting instead of at home doing stuff. Then, over time, she got to where she was enjoying her own "me" time, and she would ask where I was going on the weekend etc. She started to realize that it was actually a good thing that I went out and had some fun instead of always working. Detecting helps me get rid of a lot of stress, and she probably realized that later.

Just assure your wife that detecting is a stress reliever and you are merely letting the 9 year old inside you come out for a few hours. I reminded my wife that I could be at the bar, out gambling, chasing women etc, but instead I'm diggin in dirt for a few hours in an effort to let my guard down for a few hours a week. Seems like she finally understood. :)

I got to the point that I TELL my wife I am going and listen to her !!!!! about it. Better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Funny thing is she wants to keep all the nice jewelry I find. She once called my hobby gay which I got a kick out of.:laughing:

Our hobby is gay, and that makes us EXCITED and HAPPY!:lol:

same here

My wife HATES it!
She doesn't even like to hear me mumble to myself sometimes about a good spot I may see when we are out & about.
I go in the morning between 5 & 7am then off to work then.
I also go at lunch each weekday from work.
Because I go everyday she does not want to entertain the idea of me going on the weekends.
that sucs because - on a sat or sunday I can relax and not have to worry about going to work and I am not limited to just 1 or 2 hrs.
anyway, I keep most of my equipment in my car, when I have to order new stuff (rarely) I have it sent to work.
Of course she loves the bling, esp the Tiffany and Pandora :)
Im glad there is an instagram community to share my finds with so if your interested its "Sircribb"
I guess It could be worse.
Hunt Safe, stay alert.

John Denver couldn't have put it any better...except he was talking about fiddlin'

"I'd metal detect all day if I could
But the Lord and my wife wouldn't take it very good
So I swing when I can, work when I should..."

I also am pretty lucky. Even though my wife has no interest in our hobby, I very rarely get any "flack" for hitting the beach....why??

1. As long as I keep my end of the bargain on house hold chores.....no worries.
2. When the kiddos do go along with me, they can't wait till I get home to ask "Daddy, what did you find me?' My wife gets a kick out the kids running around the house with the junk rings and bracelets I find.
3. MOST IMPORTANT....Thanks to ARA, when I buy my metal detecting toys, the money does not come out the general fund. :laughing::laughing:

Good Luck....Be Safe....Jeff

Not married to this one but been with my girl for 4 years and we bought the house together 2 ago. I've never really been in the situation of being LET do anything seeing how I'm a grown ass man and all...:D She doesn't mind it and will go along if I hit a park and read or whatever. She knows she isn't getting any of my finds so she says "pretty ring!" and hands em back. :laughing: She definitely prefers this hobby to my winter hobby of racing RC cars though. "I don't see how a grown man can spend $1000 on a toy car!". Here, let me show ya!:p

Back
Top Bottom