Question re: depth indicator with F2.

MN Shutterbug

I realize the depth bars aren't that accurate, but if it show 1 bar do you dig down 3 inches, 1 inch deeper than assumed, and if it shows 2 bars, dig down 5 inches to be sure you're deep enough? Or, does it make more sense to use the pinpoint function and go according to the number it displays? I prefer not to dig much deeper than necessary.

Enough snow melted today so I was able to finally try it out. I must have a pretty trashy yard because I couldn't get any consistent numbers. Everytime I got a beep, it would bounce from the 20's to the 80's. The temps are holding at 45 degrees right now so I'm thinking more snow will melt overnite so I can try a park tomorrow. I've switched to the sniper coil for the next run.

I've found that the pinpointing depth is more accurate than the depth bars.

I use a screwdriver to lift the soil a little than use my pinpointer to get at it. This way I don't end up digging a huge hole.
I have heard of some guys who use their Garrett propointer to get the depth after they locate an item to dig

I realize the depth bars aren't that accurate, but if it show 1 bar do you dig down 3 inches, 1 inch deeper than assumed, and if it shows 2 bars, dig down 5 inches to be sure you're deep enough? Or, does it make more sense to use the pinpoint function and go according to the number it displays? I prefer not to dig much deeper than necessary.

I answered this in your other thread...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=1847120#post1847120

Enough snow melted today so I was able to finally try it out. I must have a pretty trashy yard because I couldn't get any consistent numbers. Everytime I got a beep, it would bounce from the 20's to the 80's. The temps are holding at 45 degrees right now so I'm thinking more snow will melt overnite so I can try a park tomorrow. I've switched to the sniper coil for the next run.

20's to the 80's?
This is a very big swing, too big.
You are either swinging way too fast or you have a bunch of trash in that yard...iron trash or something else.

Make sure your batteries are in correctly...looking at the screen the batteries can be inserted from the rear and both + signs on the side of the batteries should be on the right.
Push straight in decently hard before you push down and drop them in because it is a real tight fit when the unit is new but those tabs in the back will loosen up over time and this will get a little easier.

Make sure your coil connection is tight and no loose wires flopping around down near the coil.

Keep your finger pressed on the power button for 10 seconds when you start it up and the power comes on.
This is a factory reset and can help if the unit ever starts to act a little wonky and do this every time you change coils.

Try to swing no faster than about a foot per second because if you go over most targets and especially trash too fast the thing will false up into the higher ranges.

Center the target under the coil by making some side to side sweeps till you get to numbers that are more stable and don't jump much more than 2.
If you are swinging over irregular shaped trash as different parts of the coil move over the target you can get some very jumpy numbers.

Knock out iron to start with and practice because there is a lot of that out there and even if you do you can still get some high tones that will bleed right through your disc and false into those higher numbers but they wont repeat and definitely wont repeat in the same place.

Turn down the sensitivity all the way if you're getting jumpy behavior and bouncy tones that we call chatter.
EMI coming from electrical wires or from wifi in your house can also make the unit act this way but it will usually be noisy and jumpy most of the time not just swinging over targets if this is the problem.

Throw some coins down on the ground in an area that you know does not have any metal and practice swinging over them or do this inside.
If you have floors with nails use a box to raise the level higher so the coil won't pick them up and put the coins on top and practice like that.

As far as answering my question in another thread? Yes and no. yes you explained the relativity of the bars but no, I didn't get advice on how deep to dig. ;)

I may have exaggerated a bit. It may have been 20's to 40's in 1 spot and 50's to 60's in another etc.

I even tried barely moving the wand at a snail's pace and it still bounced all over. I did discriminate against iron.

I tried it on coins in my basement and had no issues. It could be interference and I didn't play with the sensitivity at all.

Most of our snow disappeared over nite so I'll attempt it at a park later today and report back.

As far as answering my question in another thread? Yes and no. yes you explained the relativity of the bars but no, I didn't get advice on how deep to dig. ;)

Those bars are not something you want to go by.
Use the pinpoint button and use those numbers because they will be more accurate but maybe off by an inch on shallow targets that are coin sized but they will give you a good idea.
A dime signal that says 03 should be somewhere around 3-4".

Mine seems to be pretty accurate at targets 5" and deeper.

On other targets like large cans they won't be right at all.
If you get a high tone and numbers in the 70's or 80's and it says 02 on the pinpoint number and you dig 4 inches or more and still haven't found it this is a clue.
These are just things you have to learn when you are new.

I may have exaggerated a bit. It may have been 20's to 40's in 1 spot and 50's to 60's in another etc.

I even tried barely moving the wand at a snail's pace and it still bounced all over. I did discriminate against iron.

Irregular shaped trash can do this, also not swinging the coil centered over the target.

My first day in the field.

I went to a nearby park and first tried a volleyball court. I found a washer. At least sand is easy to dig and easy to fill back in. :roll: I then tried the horse shoe courts next door and found a dime. My first coin. :) I then went over to the college where tail gating had been going on and found 2 pennies and a small pin with an M on it, which probably stands for Mustangs, the college sports teams.

I may try an older park this afternoon.

Checked out a different park this afternoon and a had little better luck. I can't give my 2 week notice yet, but at this park I found 2 quarters, 1 nickel and 3 pennies. The amount of pull tabs was annoying so I notched out iron, pull tabs and foil. Guess what. It still found me 3 pull tabs and 2 pieces of foil. Evidentally, these machines aren't fool proof.

With temps in the low 40's and winds gusting to around 30 mph, I had the parks totally to myself. It really wasn't a pleasant day to be out but I realize my time is limited.

Last edited:
Hello MN Shutterbug- The bars are realtime/on the go thus tend not to be as accurate as using the pinpoint which provides a much more accurate numerical depth indicator in inches.

Keep in mind that the depth indication is calibrated to coin sized targets and a deeper/larger metal object sometimes reads at 2" when in actuality it's sitting at 7" and is a license plate.

A good way to get a little more information prior to digging one of these targets is if you get a STRONG target response at a very shallow depth...try lifting your coil a few inches and re-sweep...if your still getting a strong target response at 2 inches and you have your coil raised 4 or 5 inches off the ground you can be assured it's not a coin, but most probably something much bigger and deeper.

Kind regards,

Russ

Back
Top Bottom