• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Can't get silver

Dirtfishn350

Forum Supporter
I've been hunting on my parents property. Very old place, I've gotten a lot of wheats and old relics. I know there's SILVER! How do I find it, without buying a different detector? (ATP's not in the budget till next yr.):(
Using:
Ace350 8.5x11DD
Jewelry mode, at 4/5 bars sens.
P.s wheats have only been no more then 2"
Thanks for any help,

You'll get some silver, you just need to be patient and wait on it. Keep detecting at places that have the potential and you'll get some eventually.

Doesn't always work but quit a few times when I dig a wheat
instead of moving on I'll search out about 10ft in every direction
from where I dug the wheat & many times I'll hit a silver coin...
Just a thought....

Don't give up. I agree there must be silver there. Sweep low and slow mostly but don't hesitate to speed up your swing here and there. Of course run your sensitivity high as possible. Try "wandering" instead of straight-lining all the time. If you are not using headphones give them a try and LISTEN for signals that may not even register on your screen. Hang in there. GL and HH. Matt

I don't know about the Ace 350 but with my silver uMax and a 10"x 12" coil deeper small silver coins, dimes and such have been ringing up like pull tabs but they sound different than a pull tab, softer sounding. And a pull tab has been ringing up between nickel and pull tab and louder. I think a bigger coil affects where an object rings up. You might already know all this just what I've learned this year with a new bigger coil.

It is not the detector, you just have to get that coil over it. I believe that silver is so conductive that you could just about drag an old am radio over it an it would sound off. Keep looking, once you find that first one, more will follow soon.

Try going the opposite direction that you have already gone I.e., if you went N to S now go E to W...especially where you found the wheaties..I have found silver that I missed the first time.... and I emphasize I . The detector will do the work if you put the coil in the right spot.

Also if there are any large trees around go around them. People used to hang under the shade tree. I have good luck around large trees on old properties.

Hey! I live on a property that was established in the mid 1800's. There is a buried old log home along with the present one constructed in 1915. I have hunted this place hard and found only one silver...........a 1959 rosie dime.

I have a feeling there is older coins(found an 1889 Indian Head in the garden visually) but finding them in the trash is hard. Dig everything that gives you high tones, even in the middle of solid iron signals.(sounds like you are if you are digging relics) 9 times out of 10 its nails but I have done this and it teaches you very valuable listening skills. :) Occasionally a surprise comes with them. Ask any successful hunter and most will tell you they dig all non-ferrous signals. All of them. Especially with machines on our tech level. Great machines(I use a MineLab Xterra) but slightly lower information than the ATP and Etrac and up. Don't know what it is till you dig it up!

GL + HH!!!!!

Just a thought....

I do that also and it has paid off many times.

I've hunted some old places and there just isn't any silver there. dig all those jumpy signals if nothing else but to get rid of them ... my house was built in 1903 and not a single silver, found a crotal bell though ...

Find a 10x10 area close front entrance that has produced wheat. Dig every single target no discrimination. Eventually you'll find silver or unmask some.

Just a thought....

I do that too!!

One wheat find is enough for a total lockdown and 20ftx20ft tight grid....:yes:

Pulled a few silvers that way!

<*)))>{

That ACE 350 will find silver if it's there to be found. I found my first few pieces with the 350.

See if you can increase the sensitivity on the 350 (so long as it's still stable) and maybe dig a few more iffy signals, as long they are somewhat high. Try that and let us know.
Also, think about where folks would have lost coins. (clothes lines, path to the privy and well, around both areas, etc.) I have always had good luck around legacy trees- the kind kids would have been climbing when the tree was smaller. Try close up and in the shade footprint of such trees. Be patient about digging under and around roots- found stuff I think others gave up on because it was hard to pry out from under roots. ;)

I've been hunting on my parents property. Very old place, I've gotten a lot of wheats and old relics. I know there's SILVER! How do I find it, without buying a different detector? (ATP's not in the budget till next yr.):(
Using:
Ace350 8.5x11DD
Jewelry mode, at 4/5 bars sens.
P.s wheats have only been no more then 2"
Thanks for any help,

Since you don't want to buy a new detector here is another way to get silver.

Step 1. Detect the area as hard as you can and dig all the targets. If you don't find any silver then you need to try another proven method.

Step 2. Rent a buldozer and take 6" of topsoil off their property. Then detect again. If you still don't find silver repeat step 2 one more time.

If no silver is found you can safely say probably none was dropped on thier property.

Glad I could help.

Since you don't want to buy a new detector here is another way to get silver.

Step 1. Detect the area as hard as you can and dig all the targets. If you don't find any silver then you need to try another proven method.

Step 2. Rent a buldozer and take 6" of topsoil off their property. Then detect again. If you still don't find silver repeat step 2 one more time.

If no silver is found you can safely say probably none was dropped on thier property.

Glad I could help.

BE CHEAPER TO GET ANOTHER DETECTOR;)
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll try doing the 10x10 grid dig. Next time I go out!

BE CHEAPER TO GET ANOTHER DETECTOR;)
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll try doing the 10x10 grid dig. Next time I go out!

AHH, but see, I read your origional post and you couldn't buy another detector. I was just giving you another alternative!!! Thats just the kind of helpful guy I am.

Good luck and I hope you find something GREAT!!!!

If a new machine is not an option then I would do this:
1. Slow down. Take the time to examine the signal from different angles.
2. Dig more targets. Don't only dig prime perfect signals. Your machine has trouble giving off a perfect bell-tone signal on deep coins. Dig more iffy, broken, choppy signals. That's what the deep coins are going to sound like. You'll be happy you did.
3. As you progress, you'll eventually want to get a better machine. Top end machines like the minelab explorers will give you better target ID and tone ID on teally deep targets.
Hope this helps! Good luck out there.
HH, Mike

Back
Top Bottom