Tragic event

SteveMN

Forum Supporter

Attachments

• tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 391
Oh No! That is terrible! Was he a professional water hunter?

This is a good reason why detectorists can't just jump in the water without knowing what they are doing. :no:

I'm pretty sure he was well accomplished... he ran rings around us at the DFXonly hunt at tuscazoar. I'm thinking something else might have been going on considering he was in 4 foot of water. Really sad to lose a really nice guy so young.

I'm pretty sure he was well accomplished... he ran rings around us at the DFXonly hunt at tuscazoar. I'm thinking something else might have been going on considering he was in 4 foot of water. Really sad to lose a really nice guy so young.

Yeah That's what I was thinking. There has to be more to this story.

Hunter drowns

4 ft of water add an unexpected 12 inch deep hole plus any kind of rip current = trouble.
This just conjecture. I have no idea what actually happened.

That's a sad event. :( Hopefully, it'll serve others to be more careful in similar circumstances.

There has to be more to this story.

True, because it really doesn't make sense. Everyone please be careful out there and fill your holes even in the water.

The last water hunter that I heard died several years ago stepped off a dropoff in the water and his waders filled up with water. :no:

Absolutely tragic. Whenever I water hunt I wear a wetsuit because it makes you buoyant.

For those that hunt wearing waders, wear a snug belt around your waist, on the outside of the wader. If you stumble and water gets in, the snug belt will slow down how fast the wader will fill with water ... and perhaps save your life.

Also, I would recommend that you not tie either the scoop or the detector to yourself. In fast moving waters or an undertow they could snag on something and drown you. You can always buy replacements.

The news article doesn't tell it all and from what others say a 12" pipe?? was he near a Nuke plant water intake pipe or what? Like Carol has said even though the water is warm this time of the near i still wear a wetsuit myself while in the water. 1 spot i have hunted you are on the edge of the beach sand drop off and at your neck and 1 step out and it's like 8' literally deep fast. I float and used the scoop to reach back into teh bar and pull myself closer to shallower water. I could have let go of everything/but then i would have to dive for it and sometimes with a 20Lb weight belt on i have to swim hard to get myself to go under for good.

Must have not know his surroundings good enough it sounds like?? Like i'd guess if it was a 12" pipe suction then it must have been the intake to a nuke plant?

Wow, that really doesn't make sense. I wonder what actually happened? Perhaps he got stuck somehow and panicked? Odd, and quite sad.

I have never used waders, I always used a wet suit. I did sometimes use a weight belt but always carried a knife. Its not to fend off the sharks. I was scuba trained by a strange guy who was a commerical fisherman. Part of his training of me involved being entangled with a monofiliment net. This brings to mind the super strong fishing lines being used today. It is far smaller and far stronger than the fishing line used in the past. I could envision becoming entangled in some fishing line and it causing me to fall down. Wearing waders and no knife plus panic could kill. I hope all our beach hunters think about their saftey and equipement before they go out. Best to all, Mike.

Tom was a great friend of mine and an avid water hunter. He and I detected together a LOT. He called me that morning and told me where he was.

He does NOT wear waders. He was found in four foot of water but he could have been over his head when he went down.

An autopsy was performed BUT results will not be in for at least 4 weeks.

Viewing and prayer service tonight. Ross, Randy, Doug, Steve and myself witll be there along with more from the greatlakesmetaldetecting forum I am sure.

He really will be missed as a partner to go out with.

Bob

Forgot to say. This was a public beach and we have been there every year for the last 3 years. No pipes out there. Just two sandbars with a trough between them. I was with him last year out there. Nobody really knows what happened and why he called for help. The results of the autopsy will not be available for 4 - 6 weeks.

Thanks for the factual info Bob... It wasn't until I saw the picture of him that I realized how much time we got to spend together at the Tuscazoar hunt (I'm aweful at remembering names and putting them to faces)... What a great guy... I loved his sense of humor...very fun to be around... he's make anyone proud to have him as a hunting partner...

BeefCake, Don't feel bad. I have the same problem. Names I can't remember. Faces yes.

After the funeral last night I had a long talk with his brother and his fiancee, and a couple that were on the human chain looking for him. He was found in neck deep water. His detector was 75 yards away from him. They did NOT recover his scoop which is huge. I believe the scoop is the KEY. If we find that we will know if he was over his head and got into trouble. I am calling the detective today and might go up there to look for the scoop.

If I find it I can mark it so the detective has more to go on. I think but this is ONLY a speculation, that he tried to go out to the second sand bar with his scoop and machine and he went over his head and paniced. There is a dropoff betwen the sand bars. If nobody has brought the scoop up and I do know the handle is a 4' long oak one, we will find out EXACTLY where he dropped it. His brother wants to go with me also. Very nice person.

Thanks for all the information on such a tragic loss of life. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hope this makes everyone aware of some of the hazards associated with with our hobby. Just enjoying life can be risky. At least he was doing what we all love to do. I do hope they can determine what went wrong, so others can learn from it. May he rest in piece.

So sorry to hear the tragic news. Our thought and prayers go out to the family and friends of Tom. God Bless

Back
Top Bottom