Back to a High School Soccer field. No gold this time, but almost an ounce of silver!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I was hoping to hit a new soccerfield and find a bunch of gold (aren't we all, everytime we do that). I'm happy with the results, though. A couple of small pendants (soccer and dragon), and then a decent 83 signal.

The first silver was the ring, all squished up, but certainly salvageable. I went at it with the mandrel and jeweler's hammer, and it pounded back into shape nicely. Nice little dragonfly ring.

The second silver, and what accounts to most of the near troy ounce of find, is the Miss America Pageant medallion and silver chain. Back reads, "Miss Twin Falls Contestant 1963."

With as old as it is, I'm thinking it was given to a granddaughter who promptly lost it. (it was only about 2" underground). Rang up a solid 86. Thought it was going to be a quarter.

The nick damage was not from me (it's got three of them.).

Weighing in at over 29 grams of sterling. Happy with that find! Anytime I can make $10-$11 in silver, is a good day.

Found about $6.90 in coins (not counting pennies), too. not bad for about 3 hours!

Cheers,

Skippy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 313
That is very cool Skippy! Might be worth a lot more than melt. Might wanna look it up on ebay.

That is very cool Skippy! Might be worth a lot more than melt. Might wanna look it up on ebay.

I tried. I don't have a clue if Miss America Memorabilia is worth anything. I intend to toss it out there with an auction starting price at $15 (which is melt + shipping), and see what happens. It's pretty neat.

Thats a NICE Hunk of Silver! Yeah Man! Congratulations on what is essentially a Silver Dollar!

Pretty much! It was a pretty dang fun find... My wife's license plate is "MSAMRCA"

She's been going by "Miss America" for the last 5 years. It kind of started as a joke at Church, with the youth. When they started to become a little "too" familiar with her, and tried calling her by her first name (which is common, here, but not so much in the South, where's she's from), she told them, "look, you can call me Mrs. S, Sister Ann, or Miss America, I don't care, but you are NOT calling me Ann."

So they started calling her Miss America. Then one day, in a big meeting with a bunch of ladies, one of them asked, "why do they call you Miss America?"

Running with it, she told them, "I was Ms. Arkansas in 1979, and I was 1st runner up in Miss America. I only lost because Ms. Texas stole my flaming batons."

They all oohed, and awwed, and got all freaked out excited. And THEN she pointed out..."Uh.. I would have been like 7 years old in 1979. It was a JOKE." But somehow it stuck...

Got so funny that at one point on a bus trip our congregation's Bishop (who was new in town) heard the story, and then went to go look her up. She got a funny call a few days later from his wife asking, 'What year was it, again? We couldn't find you.' They apparently spent about a hour looking. LOL She had to explain it was all a joke, and he took it in stride, even commenting on having "personal integrity, and being honest, unlike Miss America" at the next Young Women's meetings. The kids loved it.

The story just kept getting better and better. With the license plate installed, it's always a hoot to see who drives by and is trying to take a peek in the car to see her. I bought her a tiara to wear, but I can't get her to do it. Road trips are the BEST. We get gawkers like crazy. It's not so much fun, though, when I drive the car alone. LOL.

So... Finding this medallion. We've actually considered scratching off the back (smooth like) and having it re-engraved with her name and 1979. THAT would make for one heck of a joke... "no seriously... they gave me this medallion as 1st runner up." HAHAHA!!

Skippy

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Your 'Miss America' story is publishable!

I'll have to tell you about the time we babysat our Baptist Pastor's parrot while he was off to the Mission field for a year....The Parrot came into our house squawking "Jesus Loves You" and left with quite an alternate vocabulary! I was doing 'Popeye' impressions at the time...You know like when Popeye giggles (Hakakakaka) and then says, "Well blows me down!"?
Well, thats what I was teaching the Parrot! He caught on fast and seemed to like the perambulator or something, except he would never end the sentence with the word 'down!' No matter what I tried the damn bird wouldnt say the word 'down'!

So the guy comes home and walks in and goes over to his parrot, and says, "Hey there pretty bird, Jesus Loves You" The Parrot bobs his head excitedly and hollers out:: "Hakakakaka, Well Blows Me!" :laughing::laughing:

True story, the Wife reminds me of that time...The look on our Pastors face was priceless! You know Parrots can live like 80yrs right? We had to find a new church and lost touch...So I dont know what ever happened to that bird. He probably sold it to a Presbyterian...!:laughing:

Last edited:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Your 'Miss America' story is publishable!

I'll have to tell you about the time we babysat our Baptist Pastor's parrot while he was off to the Mission field for a year....The Parrot came into our house squawking "Jesus Loves You" and left with quite an alternate vocabulary! I was doing 'Popeye' impressions at the time...You know like when Popeye giggles (Hakakakaka) and then says, "Well blows me down!"?
Well, thats what I was teaching the Parrot! He caught on fast and seemed to like the perambulator or something, except he would never end the sentence with the word 'down!' No matter what I tried the damn bird wouldnt say the word 'down'!

So the guy comes home and walks in and goes over to his parrot, and says, "Hey there pretty bird, Jesus Loves You" The Parrot bobs his head excitedly and hollers out:: "Hakakakaka, Well Blows Me!" :laughing::laughing:

True story, the Wife reminds me of that time...The look on our Pastors face was priceless! You know Parrots can live like 80yrs right? We had to find a new church and lost touch...So I dont know what ever happened to that bird. He probably sold it to a Presbyterian...!:laughing:

That is hilarious. Of the best intentions, eh? I was teaching someone (as a missionary years ago) who had a parrot. Anytime the cat came into view, the thing would yell, "DAMN CAT! DAMN CAT!" It was the hilarious! And if the cat got near, it would make spitting noises, hiss at it, or just meow. Something to behold. Had a mouth on it, too, occasionally it'd drop a toy, and start a swear storm. LOL

Parrots can be fun... but I can't imagine having a hand-me-down-pet. Some of those things live to 100. Definitely multi-generational things. I understand too, that they pair bond with only one person in the house. Everyone else, they just tolerate... and sometimes toler-hate.

I dunno if I could make that kind of commitment. Best part of your story was wondering if he sold it to a Presbyterian. I just about lost it, man. You kill me. :)

Back
Top Bottom