Trying to make the best decision

brandon979

Hey folks!! Hope everyone is having a great week so far. I have been a member on here for a few months and have been doing research on a few detectors. I am leaning towards the Garrett Ace 250 or 350 right now.

Now here is the tricky part. My house sits on a half acre behind the original hospital from the mid 1800s in my home town. I have spoke with several people and the all the stories about my place is the same. On my property is where they buried all of the old/used medical equipment. A couple of them even said that there are possibly body parts from that era buried there also. That wouldn't surprise me if they were.

So I am interested in finding these medical tools and whatever else is buried there. That's not the only thing I am hunting for but it is where I am going to start looking and go out from there. I have already done a lot of research about my county where I live and have talked to a couple people who own land that was once Stephen F. Austins and Sam Houstons. Enough with my rambling now. Haha

Any ideas on which to choose would be greatly appreciated. I would love to find a dealer that I could purchase a package deal from. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for the help folks.

Brandon

grid-out your yard and detect sections at a time, for instance one day pic a 75'x75' area and detect this area 2x using a different discrimination setting. 1st pass use iron canceled, then the second pass in that area use the detector with iron on ~ and watch the magic happen, im sure some other folks would agree! :tiphat:

Hey folks!! Hope everyone is having a great week so far. I have been a member on here for a few months and have been doing research on a few detectors. I am leaning towards the Garrett Ace 250 or 350 right now.

Now here is the tricky part. My house sits on a half acre behind the original hospital from the mid 1800s in my home town. I have spoke with several people and the all the stories about my place is the same. On my property is where they buried all of the old/used medical equipment. A couple of them even said that there are possibly body parts from that era buried there also. That wouldn't surprise me if they were.

So I am interested in finding these medical tools and whatever else is buried there. That's not the only thing I am hunting for but it is where I am going to start looking and go out from there. I have already done a lot of research about my county where I live and have talked to a couple people who own land that was once Stephen F. Austins and Sam Houstons. Enough with my rambling now. Haha

Any ideas on which to choose would be greatly appreciated. I would love to find a dealer that I could purchase a package deal from. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for the help folks.

Brandon

Hi Brandon!

Either the 250 or 350 would work fine for that. The 350 has a better DD coil and headphones with it.

Holler if you have questions, love to help you!

Hospital waste?

Keep your eyes open and wear gloves. I would guess that there may be a lot of sharp things buried there. Most tissues would be completely decayed, and most meds would have decomposed, but there may be some residue out there that you don't want under your skin. Some of the injectable stuff that was used to enhance x-rays were pretty nasty.
HH,
John Morton

Wow! What a great location! I think that if that location was under my control, I'd go full-on Indiana Jones and do an archaeological dig of the whole thing! I'm thinking, bottles, bones, medical instruments, the whole nine yards! Dude! You're sitting on a relic gold mine! Gopher it! :lol:

Welcome to the Forum. Now that you've told us about your site you MUST follow thru LOL! That place sounds incredible. I'm sure a Forum Sponsor can set you up fine. I recommend Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Definitely wear gloves and be especially careful of needles and scalpels. Be sure to let us know what detector you get and post pics of your finds. Best of luck to you. Be safe. HH. Matt

I own a Ace 250 and it is a decent machine. My preference by FAR is the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. The ETP will go much deeper and the visual display is MUCH better than the Ace. You can get a brand new ETP for around $220 and it is twice the detector than the Ace 250. My honest opinion. Happy Hunting!

Hey! I have the ACE 350 and I absolutely love it. The DD Coil that came standard with the machine has proven to get the job very well. I get lots of deep targets from 8-12 inches down and the shape of the coil has made pinpointing with the machine very accurate. Once I figured out how to pinpoint correctly I was able to dig my plugs exactly above the target 90% of the time.

I'm very happy with it. I too had a tough time deciding between the 250 and 350, but decided that if I was going to invest in something I should do it right and get the better unit.

The thing I like about that 350 is its at the top of the threshold for "beginner" detectors, so once you get good with it, you'll be able to run with the more seasoned vets without having to drop $700 on an upgrade right away (if you love the sport).

The coil and shaft are waterproof so you can go in shallow streams or lakes a bit. I would definitely recommend the 350. I purchased the Garret Sniper coil to go with mine a few months after purchasing and its made getting into tight spots and trashy areas a lot easier.

I would say a MUST HAVE for the Ace 350 OR the 250 is the dust cover. Its about 15 bucks, but definitely worth it. Since neither machine has a waterproof control box, it made getting caught in a storm, or detecting while its drizzling out really bad. With the dust cover, I didn't have to worry about the rain anymore (unless it's REALLY coming down), and it has protected my screen and button from getting ruined by my muddy hands.

All in all, I'd say go with the 350. Its a bit more, but definitely worth it. Also, if you've not looked into pin pointers yet, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a Garret Pro Pointer. Basically, it will shave your dig times from abou 15 minutes down to 30 seconds or a minute depending on the target. I detected for a week without one. Its hard finding a dime in a 6 inch plug. But with that pro pointer my life got 100 times better. They're expensive ($135 roughly) but durable, water resistant, and definitely worth saving all that time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 350. And congratulations on getting yourself hooked on a super expensive hobby! ;)

I've seen on TV that many old medical tools were made of silver. I have no idea how the would be marked as such. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom