Should you be getting a beep with every swing

shedigz

Elite Member
My Compadre beeps with every swing. I think that's impossible given the fact that I doubt that there is going to be something under every inch of the ground.
I dug several signals and there was nothing there.
I'm thinking there could be a problem with my Compare.

My Compadre beeps with every swing. I think that's impossible given the fact that I doubt that there is going to be something under every inch of the ground.
I dug several signals and there was nothing there.
I'm thinking there could be a problem with my Compare.

:laughing:
Sorry to laugh, but we see this a lot around here from shiny brand spanking new newbies using all kinds of detectors.

What are your settings when you get all these beeps?
Does this do the same if you set up coins and targets in your house or on top of a box outdoors with no other metal in the vicinity?
Have you tried hunting only one area?
You really need to try other sites if this is true.
I now see you did not install the coil correctly and it flops around.
Did you wrap the coil wire around the shafts or is that just free and flopping around, too?

There very well could be bits of metal almost every inch in old and trashy sites, but I think that you just don't have a handle on using this thing yet, the site you are hunting might have a lot of EMI affecting your detector or other stuff could be happening.
Digging lots of empty holes is normal for newbies just starting out, also.

Lots of hunters new to this hobby see strange things happening and immediately think there is something wrong with their machine and that could be true but that is usually very rare... 99% of the time this is incorrect and they understand this and get better as time goes on and it won't take long, either.

There is going to be a world of difference between what you know now and what you will know in a few weeks with a few hours hunting time under your belt.
You will actually laugh at what you think you know now and what you will eventually realize happens in real life and this is also normal and has happened to most of us at the beginning.

Good post from Digger...

I just wanted to add, there are parks around here that sound like a machine gun, every swing.

There may be a lot more metal in the ground that you think, but your issue seems more user/machine and not so much what is in the ground....

<*)))>{

Only dig the high tones!!!:D
listen to you machine soon you will find that there is a BIG difference to a beep and a target. members here have refered to the other beeps as "ghost"
targets. When tou find a good target it will criss cross. dig those first.
If you come back later to the same area dig the soft signals that sound good but will only beep in 1 direction or wont crisscross.
I am a NUB too so I am still learning.
Keep swinging! & HH

There are so many things it could be but digger27 is right. All of us experienced this to begin with.

While it could be interference... You may need to check your ground balance. If you have mineralized soil and you GB or sensitivity is set wrong it will do that a lot.

As they asked... Does it do it other places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If you don't know how to swim you can read all the books you want on swimming, understand all the mechanics and everything involved with this activity and have supreme confidence in your abilities to do everything exactly right and just as you have learned.
Then you jump in the deep end of the pool and the very first and last thing you will learn in real life is how to drown.

Time heals all wounds, and it also takes at least a little time to get some knowledge and understand and enjoy any new activity.

You also didn't mention this thing is not put together correctly and you have that floppy coil.
This could affect everything to do, see and hear so get it fixed before you do anything else.

There is a right way and several wrong ways to assemble detectors and you are not the only one that has had this problem.

Attachments

• wrong.jpg
    wrong.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,181
I was out hunting the curb strip in front of the apartment and I was getting beeps at every swing and was finding tiny pieces of gum wrapper foil shredded up in the plug. I also went to the tot lot and found the same thing. I guess I didn't see it last night since it was almost dark.
For most the ground is like a trash can then the lawn mower comes along.

I'm gonna add one more thing and this happened with my Compadre.I was out hunting and all of a sudden my Compadre started going nuts,would beep with every swing,had me thinking that maybe something was amiss.Turns out all that needed to be done was a little cleaning of the battery contacts and of course a new battery and all was fine again.Now I'm not sure if they all act this way but if so and you start getting these kind of beeps with every swing,maybe check this out first.There's a park I hunt that power lines run above and it drives my Compadre crazy but move maybe 5 or 10 ft. away and all is fine.Follow the advice up top and you'll be fine.HH

Let me add to Digger27's comment (and the picture) to make sure you understand: the cable down near the coil should not be loose either! If the cable is loose and flopping, the cable itself may be what's setting off the detector on every swing! You'll see that most people wrap the coil around the stem & shaft to keep it from being loose or flopping around. You want it to apply some judgment because you don't want to bend the cable connection at the coil so hard that you damage it. But having a nice tight wrap at least half way up the shaft will prevent the cable from being the source of your detector sounding off. Sorry if that was obvious, but sometimes that's what trips us up!
Good luck,
Rich

As mentioned above, wrap the cable tight to the shaft, just leave a little slack on the coil end so the coil can be repositioned without stressing the cable connector.

Some places are very trashy with foil/aluminum. While you get the hang of metal detecting it may be a good idea to turn your disc up to ignore foil and possibly aluminum. That will definitely quiet it down.

beep, beep

Heres one, I had a friend yrs ago who had a farm we hunted heavaly, mostly rabbit an birds. Well i talk him into getting a MD. When it arrives he runs out in the fields and this MD is going crazy. Calls me up and has the same quetion.I told him the 15 or so yrs we hunted that field,shot clays, emagine all the shot we left behind back then.:lol: Went to park and he had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom