4th of July Aftermath

shawn

Went to the beach after the 4th of July fireworks. I couldn't believe the amount of TRASH that people left after watching the fireworks. It was unbelievable. Coolers of drinks unopened, canopies, chairs, shoes, shirts, cigarette butts, you name it it was out there. Even found tampons (yes, USED). Aside from all the trash we had to deal with drunk people asking us what we were doing, after the 5th time I was ready to quip with "I'm practicing my golf swing" but noone asked. The g/f had a woman yell at her "YOU ARENT GOING TO FIND ANYTHING!!!!" This was after we found plenty of clad. yeah, we certainly aren't finding anything. I had an individual call me a prick because I didn't acknowledge him (my g/f heard him yell at me but I had the headphones on so I couldn't hear him anyway). We are going back Tuesday to do some more combing but for covering only 50 or so yards we found:

$6.00 in quarters
$0.70 in dimes
$0.20 nickels
$0.18 pennies
$3.00 1 dollar bills
$20.00 dollar bill (woman lost her military issued phone and INSISTED I take the $20.00 after finding it)
1 Motorola Cell phone (not gov. phone) missing sim card and battery
1 brass/copper bracelet
1 cheap ring (i think, need to clean it)
2 different earrings
1 cheap charm

This was the first time that my g/f tried out the metal detector and she was absolutely floored with the experience. It was her suggestion we go back Tuesday!

Wow
jawdrop.gif
If it wasn't for the unwelcomed social experiences that would have been a great day. Nice finds though!

Hopefully Tuesday you'll be able to concentrate a bit more on the hobby.

Best of luck, I think you'll find more when you can relax.

Here's a pic of the finds. I totally forgot the COOLEST find after I read my post.... I'll let you figure out which it is but I will say it works perfectly and had nothing stored on it... $397 on amazon...... Credit goes to my g/f, she just calls at me and says "I beat you" and I walk over thinking "ok, so she found a cd (which was lying at her feet" and she hands me the sand covered item (remember, you figure out which it is). It was in 2-3 inches of sand.

find.jpg

That camera is a nice find.

I had about the same experience (though not quite as good) on the 5th of July - I hit a park with a large fireworks display the night before. Trash EVERYWHERE including about a million cans (worth 5 cents each in NY). I don't pick up the cans but there were several people there doing just that - I'm sure they made out far better than me! I found about $8 in change, mostly quarters, and mostly just eyeballing. Also about 6 lighters, 3 pairs of sunglasses, and a wallet. I called the owner of the wallet and they picked it up where I work and left me cookies, which was a pretty sweet deal. Anyway it's amazing the amount of junk people drop/loose especially when it's dark and ESPECIALLY when they are drinking!

Nice trip. First you get $30.00 and some cool stuff and then you find a $400.00 camera. That would be better than going to work, for me. :lol:

Well I certainly can't complain, I think I could also take the abuse from the drunk people again after what we found that night.

Well I certainly can't complain, I think I could also take the abuse from the drunk people again after what we found that night.

Just remember, You didn't find anything. :lol:

July 4th

Experiences like those discribed above are the reason I almost never detect the beaches during the daytime hours. Much nicer very early morning or at night, no hassles, just you and the machine. DJ Davey

Experiences like those discribed above are the reason I almost never detect the beaches during the daytime hours. Much nicer very early morning or at night, no hassles, just you and the machine. DJ Davey

One thing to keep in mind, the time that my g/f and I were at the beach, it was between 11:30pm until 4:00am. It was definitely not the norm for the beach at that time.

Nice finds Shawn.. I found the same thing up here in Connecticut Shawn.. the people left everything on the beach.. I could have filled my truck with beach chairs and clothing and blankets at least I found a diamond ring ;)

Good job Shawn. You just have to love the beach and all those good folks that seed it with goodies for you! Good Luck, Jim

Back
Top Bottom