Bounty Hunter beeps with no silver though on the silver only discrimination

Donneybrook

Elite Member
my bounty hunter beeps for large pieces of iron though on the silver discrimination. Why? Just a crappy machine?

I started with a BH QuickDraw II, and it like to be swung kind of slow and gentle like. Well, actually, the lower rod is kind of weak plastic, and flexes a little with the weight of the coil, and causes false signals. I haven't found any silver or gold, so not sure what it would sound like out in the wild. Did throw down some silver coins, but really didn't sound much different then any other coins. Don't recall setting it for silver only though, all coins, are good coins, except those zinc pennies...

I started with a BH QuickDraw II, and it like to be swung kind of slow and gentle like. Well, actually, the lower rod is kind of weak plastic, and flexes a little with the weight of the coil, and causes false signals. I haven't found any silver or gold, so not sure what it would sound like out in the wild. Did throw down some silver coins, but really didn't sound much different then any other coins. Don't recall setting it for silver only though, all coins, are good coins, except those zinc pennies...

I've gotten to the point that im able to use the detector gently so it doesn't beep falsely. Mine if you set the discrimination to the farthest clockwise position it detects only silver quarters, halves and dollars. I had it set there and it beeped, of course i got excited but it turned out to be a hundred year old shovel head, cool, but since i thought i was getting my second silver coin ever from my property, i was severely bummed out. :(

Ive got a BHQS and ive learned not to cancel out anything and if i do its just iron. Ive found some silver coins with my BH. When i get a good "silver" signal i always lift my coil over it to try and determine the size and depth. If it gives that sound at lets say 6 inches above the grass and hits bigger than a coin nine out of ten times its a can or giant piece of iron. IMO BH's find metal at a decent depth but you gotta dig all "Iffy" signals and also i try and go slow with mine. Next time your out and find that same sound try playing with the machines settings while lifting the coil you will be surpised what you learn. GL and HH. Btw BH are not crappy, in one year ive payed for mine prolly 4 times.

Ive got a BHQS and ive learned not to cancel out anything and if i do its just iron. Ive found some silver coins with my BH. When i get a good "silver" signal i always lift my coil over it to try and determine the size and depth. If it gives that sound at lets say 6 inches above the grass and hits bigger than a coin nine out of ten times its a can or giant piece of iron. IMO BH's find metal at a decent depth but you gotta dig all "Iffy" signals and also i try and go slow with mine. Next time your out and find that same sound try playing with the machines settings while lifting the coil you will be surpised what you learn. GL and HH. Btw BH are not crappy, in one year ive payed for mine prolly 4 times.

How would you tell what it is? mine has a meter with a needle 1-10 and it usually just goes to ten. Btw, in four years i've found one silver coin, and about 16.50 in clad :(

Sometimes heavily rusted iron can sound almost as good as a silver coin, and this is with any machine. It just depends on a lot of things and one thing is having your sensitivity too high. I can turn my sensitivity almost all the way up on my minelab and it will sound like im walking over silver coins everywhere because of all the false signals

Dig all

How would you tell what it is? mine has a meter with a needle 1-10 and it usually just goes to ten. Btw, in four years i've found one silver coin, and about 16.50 in clad :(

With that type of display i would really not notch out anything. A coin at say nine inches isnt going to give a strong huge constant signal while the coil is 6in above the grass, and usally i run with nothin notched out. The deeper silver quarters ive found always made that high sound with nothing else like a can would but lifting the coil made the sound go away at like 3 in above the grass which told me it was deeper and small not like a can.{i dont know if any of this makes sense} Now on my deeper silver dimes they have sometimes hit silver real strong but then hit nickel after 3 sweeps or so, one of the reasons i dont notch with my BH. Next time dont notch and try digging anything that isnt straight iron. Juts gotta dig all kinda iffy same tone hits man. I have had striaght iron hits turn into silver hits after the plug was dug:?::laughing: gl and HH

Sometimes heavily rusted iron can sound almost as good as a silver coin, and this is with any machine. It just depends on a lot of things and one thing is having your sensitivity too high. I can turn my sensitivity almost all the way up on my minelab and it will sound like im walking over silver coins everywhere because of all the false signals

yeah i leave my sesitivity on the lowest setting.

And here I thought my Etrac was the only machine that did that. :lol:

Yes, large iron does cause a "wrap around" signal. It will bleed through on most machines.

G2M

With that type of display i would really not notch out anything. A coin at say nine inches isnt going to give a strong huge constant signal while the coil is 6in above the grass, and usally i run with nothin notched out. The deeper silver quarters ive found always made that high sound with nothing else like a can would but lifting the coil made the sound go away at like 3 in above the grass which told me it was deeper and small not like a can.{i dont know if any of this makes sense} Now on my deeper silver dimes they have sometimes hit silver real strong but then hit nickel after 3 sweeps or so, one of the reasons i dont notch with my BH. Next time dont notch and try digging anything that isnt straight iron. Juts gotta dig all kinda iffy same tone hits man. I have had striaght iron hits turn into silver hits after the plug was dug:?::laughing: gl and HH

Let me set sometyhing straight, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL WHAT IS THERE WITH MY MD! My detector doesn't have a screen to tell what the signal is. I have to just dig everything. I sometimes have it on the iron discrimination at playgrounds but other than that i sometimes do the silver discrim.

my bad

Let me set sometyhing straight, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL WHAT IS THERE WITH MY MD! My detector doesn't have a screen to tell what the signal is. I have to just dig everything. I sometimes have it on the iron discrimination at playgrounds but other than that i sometimes do the silver discrim.

LET ME SAY THIS!! i never said your md had a screen sorry if you misread something, no need for caps when quoting me. Makes me feel like your trying to yell :(. Anyway so you say you "sometimes have it on the iron discrimination at playgrounds but other than that i sometimes do the silver discrim".... so i take it you mess with one of the two knobs your machine has (prolly the one that says dicrim/notch) and sometimes you try to turn that knob to get rid of iron and sometimes you turn it all the way up to where it gets rid of iron on up to the point to where just silver/clad rings in. If you set your detecter to find only coins find a target and start backing off that discrim/notch knob to get more info on whats in the ground. SO YOU SEE YOU KINDA DO HAVE A SCREEN :D sorry for trying to help gl and hh :D

I usually run a high discrimination because of all the trash in the park that I have been hunting. I still find rusty nails, bottle caps and other pieces of junk. I doubt if you will ever eliminate them. It's all part of the game. It's like having to dig every pulltab to find a gold ring.

LET ME SAY THIS!! i never said your md had a screen sorry if you misread something, no need for caps when quoting me. Makes me feel like your trying to yell :(. Anyway so you say you "sometimes have it on the iron discrimination at playgrounds but other than that i sometimes do the silver discrim".... so i take it you mess with one of the two knobs your machine has (prolly the one that says dicrim/notch) and sometimes you try to turn that knob to get rid of iron and sometimes you turn it all the way up to where it gets rid of iron on up to the point to where just silver/clad rings in. If you set your detecter to find only coins find a target and start backing off that discrim/notch knob to get more info on whats in the ground. SO YOU SEE YOU KINDA DO HAVE A SCREEN :D sorry for trying to help gl and hh :D

Hey yeah sorry for the caps. It doesn't have a coin only discrim that i'm aware of.

I usually run a high discrimination because of all the trash in the park that I have been hunting. I still find rusty nails, bottle caps and other pieces of junk. I doubt if you will ever eliminate them. It's all part of the game. It's like having to dig every pulltab to find a gold ring.

yeah, basically using the iron discrim eliminates any quick incessant false beeping and still picks of the iron. I'm with you, still finding the nail and caps :)

Back
Top Bottom