CTX Bin Settings

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
How do you have your CTX 4 Bins set? Today I dug 60+ pennies and couldn't tell if I was digging a clad dime, silver dime or a penny. :mad:

I have edited the program after I got home but the open air tests still have pennies bouncing into the 43 44 range on the CO side.

Any tips to get this thing to where I can differentiate between dimes quarters and pennies? Also, the Indians sound exactly the same as well.

I am running GoneHuntings wide open screen with ferrous coin. I am thinking I may need to go back to 50 CO settings. :?:

How in the world can you cherry pick silver with this machine when the numbers bounce so much from mid tone to high tone on all coins. :(

Tones

I set my bins different than stock but the dimes and pennies may be too close to draw a line in-between them. I get dime reading 12-44 that come out a penny. Pennies come in on mine from 12-35 to 12-44 depending on new, old or corroded. Not sure why you would do that anyway but you may be missing good stuff also not digging in that range. Just my 2 cents.

12-46-12-48 Quarters
12-45 dime maybe silver
12-44 dime maybe penny
draw the bin line?
12-43 penny maybe dime
12-42 penny maybe dime
12-41 penny down to 12-36

These are just estimates based on my machine, settings and ground conditions.

Almost all of the silver dimes I gave dug rang up as pennies.

Both of my silver spills rang up 12-46 on the CTX but my MXT Pro is a bazillion times better at coin ID.

I guess I'm not that impressed with my "lever action" for this also but the only other detector I have to compare it to was an ace250 so it's better than that! But I wish I would have bought the AT Pro. I like the sounds much better and it's lighter too. But the GPS and water proof features are nice too!

I use my minelab strictly on silver and don't change anything other than I put deep on!

I am a firm believer that the settings don't really matter it's more getting use to the ones u choose and sticking with it. Then u just learn how that settings reads and get used to it. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong and if so someone please tell me but I think we all should be digging every solid signal because the good finds always surprise me when I'm digging anyway.
Thanks all.

50 Co settings will give u what u want ferrous coin won't regardless of your bin settings. I do have mine set at ferrous open and I do switch over to 50 to double check target ID

high bin 30-50, ferrous coin...I use the depth indicator to determine when to dig,, I don't care if its a penny or a dime as on as its deep and old.. 6" is my normal minimum depth but will vary depending on location.. wildherre

I set my bins identical to my old AT Pro. 3 tones plus Iron grunt. To do this I set 2 bins to the same tone kHz. I prefer a 3 tone to a 4 tone setup because its cleaner sounding and less busy.

Bin 1 is low tone 01-20
Bin 2 is low tone 21-29 same tone as bin 1
Bin 3 is medium 30-40
Bin 4 is high tone 41-50

Love this setup. Used it since day 1

Thanks for the replies. I will mess around with the settings some more. I'm just really missing that silver squeal. :(

G2M

Thanks for the replies. I will mess around with the settings some more. I'm just really missing that silver squeal. :(

G2M

It's gone... Minelab unfortunatly did away with that screaming high silver tone the Explorers/Etracs had. Who the hell knows why?

It's the variability or limits setting that the CTX does not have which enables you to get that hallmark silver tone. Not sure which one the CTX lacks without looking.

Greek...I keep my first 3 bins the stock settings. The last bin I set a very high pitch at 1080. I resize the last bin to 40 CO. There is no way to guarantee a high silver setting especially since the deeper you go, and the CTX goes very deep, the lower the target ID number.

It's gone... Minelab unfortunatly did away with that screaming high silver tone the Explorers/Etracs had. Who the hell knows why?

It's the variability or limits setting that the CTX does not have which enables you to get that hallmark silver tone. Not sure which one the CTX lacks without looking.

They did away with variability. I was looking for it last night after looking at my Etrac settings.

G2M

They did away with variability. I was looking for it last night after looking at my Etrac settings.

G2M

Ah, thanks! Maybe they will add it in a future software upgrade. I know a lot of guys would really like to have that setting on the CTX3030.

I dig it all anyway. The sites I hunt in the woods and fields are for the most part devoid of modern trash, so good targets frequently come in all bins. If I were in a park that would be different, but I can't stand parks so my program works for what I need it for. Great thing about the CTX3030 is you can customize it for your situations and locations.

Hi Greek,

I have been using the CTX for a while. It has its plusses, but differentiation along the wheat-memorial-clad dime-merc-rosie-clad quarter-silver quarter range isn't as good as the Etrac. I find myself digging many more pennies with the CTX. I've also found that in general the IDs come in a touch lower than with the Etrac.

I did see that Ferrous-Coin and Ground-Coin separation modes do affect the IDs slightly. One of those comes in closer to the Etrac numbers. I use strictly Ferrous-Coin myself.

I don't believe the bin settings will affect these target IDs much if at all, it's just the tones that this will affect.

Back
Top Bottom