Fisher F4 with dd

lilsin_805

My fisher always sees screw caps as quarters. I have been using the machine for over a year now, and I can tell when the target is a quarter, and when it is a screw cap.

Is there a way to make the machine disc them out, without losing quarters?

My fisher always sees screw caps as quarters. I have been using the machine for over a year now, and I can tell when the target is a quarter, and when it is a screw cap.

WOW that is weird, my F2 never mistakes anything else for a quarter! If it's an 80-82, always been a quarter for my machine. Nothing else rings up those numbers, so I suppose with the f4, if it is anything other than an 80-82 then you'll know it isn't a quarter! On my machine screw caps ring up as zinc...

You said you "can" tell the difference so what is the problem?
I suspect this was a mistake in typing and you meant you "can't" tell the difference because most of us can't by just swinging over these problem targets.

This is a common problem on most detectors that have a DD coil mounted, like yours.
That wide scanning field is great for covering large areas, but the disc is not as precise as a concentric coil so it reads those high tone bottle caps as quarters.
The problem is NOT with your machine and you can't disc them out.
If you switched over to any of the concentric coils the quarters should still be 80-82 and those bottle caps will now come in lower.

There is a technique that you can use that will probably work with that DD coil and can tell you when you are swinging over one of these and not a quarter, however.
It is called "Rimming", and Rudy posted this telling us how to do this many years ago.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=15664

When you come across one run the rim area of the heel or the toe of your coil past the area this target is laying and if you do this at the right speed the numbers on the screen should drop low into the iron section.
Quarters won't do this...they will stay high.

I have tried this with my Vaq and my big DD coil and it works, but it takes longer because I have to turn down the disc knob to iron to figure them out.
On a detector with a screen, the numbers should just drop and should be much faster..instantaneous, actually.

Definitely a problem for me as well, with the same F4/DD coil combo, never had this rimming technique described to me before.
I will have a run of caps. It seems like anyways, probably due to the different areas, some areas have lots of caps and I get them dug up, other periods or places I get no caps.

Sometimes I end up in places with lots of bottle caps when using my DD coil and I don't like it at all, but it is my own fault because I am just too lazy to change coils oR walk back to the car to get another machine.
I try to use that DD coil in large wide open areas with less of these caps and in those places this coil works great.
Think about buying an 8 or 10" concentric coil sometime.
They are relitively cheap and might make hunting a lot less frustrating if you hunt a lot of sites with these problem targets.
Try that rimming thing first, though, it could work to help you avoid digging most of these.

Back
Top Bottom