Eclipse watchers...There is danger here!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I wonder how many are going to be hurt on Monday, many think a quick peek with no protection won't hurt, ask this guy about that.
http://time.com/4906156/solar-eclipse-2017-eye-damage/?xid=homepage

A bigger problem might be the suspected large amounts of fake filter glasses that might be out there, some dirtbags that that made and sold these things just to make a buck not caring who or how many they hurt and not all of them came from China.

Be careful out there, a mistake during this short event can ruin your vision...and life, forever.

I bought five pairs of glasses on Amazon. I looked at reviews and this seller had good reviews, whereas some other sellers had reviews indicating the glasses were no good (not dark enough), or were marked "made in China", even though they were supposed to be made in USA. I've tried mine out and they are very dark, in the daylight you can see nothing through them, and a very bright LED flashlight is a dim spot.

Anyway, Amazon sent a email saying that they were unable to confirm that these glasses were certified by ISO, so they were refunding my money.

While I already had some old ones from years ago, I bought 2 new pair for just $1.00 each at our local KJ's grocery store, and yes I checked to make sure they are certified and I already tried a pair out looking at the sun and they work good.

I think one of the old ones I'll fasten over my smartphone camera lens and video the eclipse from my front yard. I'll have the camera on a holder so it's steady and hands free.

Supposedly a good test to see if glasses offer adequate protection.

Take 100 wat light bulb, put the glasses on, get close to bulb, and look at it.
If you can see the filament inside the bulb clearly,,good glasses.

This is not my TEST, nor will I voutch for it.
Just seen on tv by a so- called expert.

Another thing to add to that. I'd be cautious even using a smartphone or camera to take pics of it. Here's are article stating it can even burn out the lenses on some of them. http://www.pennlive.com/wildaboutpa/2017/08/will_the_solar_eclipse_destroy.html Probably won't by most accounts but if you have one of those high dollar jobs you better do your research prior to taking pics of it or it could get expensive really quick.

Another thing to add to that. I'd be cautious even using a smartphone or camera to take pics of it. Here's are article stating it can even burn out the lenses on some of them. http://www.pennlive.com/wildaboutpa/2017/08/will_the_solar_eclipse_destroy.html Probably won't by most accounts but if you have one of those high dollar jobs you better do your research prior to taking pics of it or it could get expensive really quick.

I would use an extra pair of eclipse glasses and fasten them so one of the filters covers the lens, use tape or rubber bands to hold it securely in place.

Good luck to all who attempt to look at the sun. I'll be enjoying the slow day at work while everyone is out burning their retinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working back east when the '84 eclipse was the "hot topic" of the day... I worked at a power plant and the welding guys got us all welding glass to watch that one through. It was pretty neat I guess, but I'm not all that concerned about seeing this upcoming one. I suppose once I've seen something I don't necessarily need to see it again. And there's the issue with fake eclipse glasses now that wasn't even a thought back then, I don't need to go burning out my eyeballs over something like that...

I made sure our eclipse glasses are certified.

Also, being a backyard astronomer years ago I got special filter material made by an astronomy company specifically for solar viewing to make lens caps to go over the large lens of telescopes or binoculars (the end where the light first comes in and NOT at the eyepiece, because the light needs to be filtered BEFORE it is magnified), genuine solar filter material is not that expensive, that's why you can find certified solar glasses for $1.00 each.

I'll have a close up view thru my solar filtered binoculars as well as being able to have a normal size view thru certified solar glasses.

Do NOT use binoculars without a certified filter over the entrance where the light first enters and NOT at the eyepiece. That is why they warn people they can not use binoculars only having solar glasses on because the unfiltered light will be magnified before it goes thru the solar filter. The light must be filtered BEFORE it is magnified !

Good luck to all who attempt to look at the sun. I'll be enjoying the slow day at work while everyone is out burning their retinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather man said, cloudy and a chance of thunderstorms here,:raincloud:
ought to be like midnight at the eclipse time though:?:,
Maybe there will be a RAINBOW IN THE DARK some where? :fullmoon: :lol:

My guess is that there is going to be some stupid You-Tube challenge that is going to find a lot of kids/young adults with irreversible eye damage. After all, when has a YT challenge ever gone wrong?

Is this portending the End of Mankind? All the Druids and Hippys are sure excited about the prospects!:laughing: Maybe see you all here tomorrow? Or not? Maybe go straight into an Off Limits place and hunt during? Like Yellowstone or Gettysburg?:laughing: I dont know what I'll be doing yet..at that time of the day I'll probably be taking a short nap...its sorta like an eclipse, without the goofy glasses...

For me
Looks like first contact will be 1200 high noon here CDST.
Lights out 1:30 CDST for 2 minutes 13 seconds roughly.

Well...if everybody really WANTS to know what my plans are for this Major eclipsical inbound celestial marketing event?....OK!.....I have a bottle of some fine Piggley Wiggly boxed champagne chilling out on the back deck in ice in a Home Depot bucket, a few cans of BudLight alongside for a palate clenser...A paper plate of 'imported' strawberries, a full whipped cream dispenser, and a Snickers bar cut up in appropriately chunks, some Velveeta squares and Doritos of course... ..

I Built a little love nest with a quilted moving blanket and discarded carpet padding, bubble wrap, some beanie babies, and installed a 'privacy fence' out of some found beach towels draped over the deck railing....So yeah...with all this preparation, I'll be "Under the Weather" in just a little bit I hope!! I got The Barry White soundtrack quede up on the Bose even...

Yeah...So Who needs special glasses or an eye damage warning? After 40 yrs of familiarity? In the dark its pretty much all by feel and muscle memory anyway? Least from what I remember....You gotta take the long shot conjugational opportunities as they present themselves, Like Haleys Comet, only more rare... ....

I aint really hoping for a whole lot, being a married man and a Detectorist, I am prepared for the long shot optimistic outcome along with the high percentage chance of dissapointment....still, like all of us wishful dreamers, I'm taking the shot!

I'll report back..I will at least get to drink those beers...

I may even fire up a left over 4th of July roman candle or a sparkler and run around the neighborhood bare nakid..maybe even gripping them tightly in my buttcheeks and singing Yankee Doodle Dandy?? I mean hey...how often does a guy get a chance to run down the street nakid with pyrotechnics shooting out his coal chute? In the middle of the day? I'm a hopeless romantic I guess..,,wish me luck! I'm way overdue...

Last edited:
Where we live in South Carolina

Duration of Totality: 1m 19s

Partial phase start: 1:12:37PM (EDT), at "2:00 o'clock" on the sun's disk

Totality Start: 2:41:45PM (EDT)

Type in your city at the link below -

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

eclipsemap.jpg

I look forward to lots of stupid facebook selfies of people wearing silly glasses, followed by fuzzy pics and complaints about broken cell phones. :laughing:

What amazes me is how many businesses down south are closed because of this. Spoken to numerous brokers and coin dealers who all either closed the shop/office completely or closed early. One guy told me South Carolina is being invaded by tourists.

Back
Top Bottom