Where was Rudy? Part cinque

Rudy

Admin
For those that haven't been following this topic, this is a continuation of this thread.

We had been enjoying exceptional weather, but we manages to get some rain today, being from So Cal, it took me a few minutes to realize what it was. :lol:

Ok, here is a hint to where I was that day. You guys have done such an outstanding job of figuring out the other clues that I'm sure this one will not stand for long.

Cawdor Castle - 09 - Version 2.jpg

Cawdor Castle, Nairn, IV12 5RD, United Kingdom

.....to be fair, you made it easy, you had the photo saved with the name of the castle in the file name, I did a search just to verify anyhow. :lol:

Edit to add:

Info from a web site about that castle:

Cawdor is a very fine castle with an ancient keep built around 1380 at its core, and is surrounded by lesser wings and three courtyards.

The vaulted ground floor of the tower still has the remains of a holly tree which grew on the site, and tradition says this is where the builder’s donkey lay down to rest, thus choosing the tower’s location. The keep rises to four main storeys, with crenellated parapet and corner turrets.

Entry to the!Cawdor Castle!is made across a drawbridge. The drawing room (great hall) has a minstrel’s gallery and many family portraits. The Tapestry Room has fine Flemish tapestries dated 1682. They depict Noah and his family.

The Yellow, Woodcock and Pink Rooms follow, all sumptuously furnished. The Tartan Passage contains old needlework and a model of the sailing ship Victory.

Off the vaulted Thorn Room is the old dungeon which, when it was discovered in 1979, contained nine tons of rubble. The gate came from Lochindorb Castle. The front stair leads to the dining room and its heraldic fireplace of 1510.

When the stone for this was being brought across the drawbridge it collapsed, injuring 24 men. In this room is preserved a bronze bell of the 9th century, found at Barevan Church.

A modern kitchen of 1971 is followed by the original vaulted kitchen, complete with large well and copper utensils. The former larder has an unusual tricycle, fire engine and other relics, many of them from the Victorian period.

In the courtyard there is a well-stocked bookshop. To the south of the castle are the flowers and wild gardens, and to the north the old walled garden, with a modern maze.

The Calders, Thanes of that Ilk held the lands of "Calder", until 1510 when they passed by marriage of the then heiress, Muriel, to Sir John Campbell.

The Campbells still own the estate, and were created Earls of Cawdor in 1827.

Last edited:
Cawdor Castle, Nairn, IV12 5RD, United Kingdom

.....to be fair, you made it easy, you had the photo saved with the name of the castle in the file name, I did a search just to verify anyhow. :lol:

Edit to add:

Info from a web site about that castle:

Cawdor is a very fine castle with an ancient keep built around 1380 at its core, and is surrounded by lesser wings and three courtyards.

The vaulted ground floor of the tower still has the remains of a holly tree which grew on the site, and tradition says this is where the builder’s donkey lay down to rest, thus choosing the tower’s location. The keep rises to four main storeys, with crenellated parapet and corner turrets.

Entry to the!Cawdor Castle!is made across a drawbridge. The drawing room (great hall) has a minstrel’s gallery and many family portraits. The Tapestry Room has fine Flemish tapestries dated 1682. They depict Noah and his family.

The Yellow, Woodcock and Pink Rooms follow, all sumptuously furnished. The Tartan Passage contains old needlework and a model of the sailing ship Victory.

Off the vaulted Thorn Room is the old dungeon which, when it was discovered in 1979, contained nine tons of rubble. The gate came from Lochindorb Castle. The front stair leads to the dining room and its heraldic fireplace of 1510.

When the stone for this was being brought across the drawbridge it collapsed, injuring 24 men. In this room is preserved a bronze bell of the 9th century, found at Barevan Church.

A modern kitchen of 1971 is followed by the original vaulted kitchen, complete with large well and copper utensils. The former larder has an unusual tricycle, fire engine and other relics, many of them from the Victorian period.

In the courtyard there is a well-stocked bookshop. To the south of the castle are the flowers and wild gardens, and to the north the old walled garden, with a modern maze.

The Calders, Thanes of that Ilk held the lands of "Calder", until 1510 when they passed by marriage of the then heiress, Muriel, to Sir John Campbell.

The Campbells still own the estate, and were created Earls of Cawdor in 1827.

Darn it! I have to be more careful. You guys are too resourceful. Rather than type all the info, I'll just use your info.

We got a little sprinkle, which added to the quality of the light for picture taking.
The downside was that it made it kind of musty inside the castle.
IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

Never got the nerve to ask them what they wear under the kilt. :lol:
IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

As we returned to the ship, docked at Invergordon and started motoring off to sea, you could see many "parked" oil rigs, waiting for the price of oil to rise, before being redeployed.
IMG_4406.jpg

Back
Top Bottom