Where was Rudy?

Rudy

Admin
Now that I am back, I can continue what I started here. However, since I am back, I changed the title to "Where was Rudy" as it is no longer in real time.

To continue where I left off, here are some pictures from Guernsey Island, the second largest of the Channel Islands, located just eight miles from the coast of France.

Here is Castle Cornet, which protects the entrance to St. Peter Port. Catle Cornet was built in the 13th century, following the division of the Duchy of Normandy in 1204 and the fortress boasts a long and bloody history, given the many conflicts between France and England back then.
IMG_4106.jpg

Castle Cornet is now a museum, containing many exhibits and you can freely explore it (for a fee).
IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

Here are some views of St Peter's Port in Guernsey.
IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

I'll follow this post up with a hint to the next place.

Hint to next place

Although we didn't do much at this next place (we were bushed), this beautiful light house is at the entrance to this beautiful bay. Can you guess where this is?

IMG_4179.jpg

This might not be correct, but there is a very similar looking lighthouse called the Crookhaven Lighthouse in Ireland, located on Rock Island Point on the north (mainland) side of the harbor entrance.

Cork / Roches Point Lighthouse
Ireland

:goodjob: :dingding: It is indeed Roches Point Lighthouse, situated at the entrance to Cork Harbor, Ireland.

A lighthouse was first established on 4 June 1817 to guide ships into Cork Harbor. The original tower was
deemed too small and in 1835 was replaced by the larger present tower which is 49 feet high with a diameter
of 12 feet.

We docked at the town of Cobh, known from 1849 until 1920 as Queenstown, (to commemorate a visit to
the town by queen Victoria). The city of Cork is a short train ride away. We chose instead to explore the quaint
town of Cobh, home to Ireland's only dedicated cruise terminal. Tourism in the area draws on the maritime
and emigration legacy of the town - including its association with the RMS Titanic.

One of the major transatlantic Irish ports, the former Queenstown was the departure point for 2.5 million of
the six million Irish people who emigrated to North America between 1848 and 1950.

On 11 April 1912, Queenstown was the final port of call for the RMS Titanic when she set out across the
Atlantic on her ill-fated maiden voyage.

Here is a shot of Cobh's harbor area.
IMG_4168.jpg

And some shots of the town,
IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

The Cathedral Church of St Colman, usually known as Cobh Cathedral, a Roman Catholic
cathedral. Construction of the cathedral began in 1867 and was not completed until over half
a century later due to increases in costs and revisions of the original plans.

The cathedral contains a carillon with 49 bells, making it one of the largest carillons in Europe.
IMG_4163.jpg

Some ladies and a gentleman, dressed in period clothes, in front of Cobh's Heritage Museum.
IMG_4172.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom