How to tell real gemstones from glass?

Dougmeister

Elite Member
I'm 99.9% sure that this is glass, but is there an easy way to tell for a beginner? I'm sure it's totally obvious to those who know the difference...

1) The setting looks cheap
2) The band has no markings like copper or something (definitely not marked as gold or silver, wrong color anyway)

I thought about pulling a hammer out and smashing it... :shock:

Attachments

• 20160310_182940.jpg
    20160310_182940.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 20160310_182949.jpg
    20160310_182949.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,349
im no gemstone guy by any stretch but i'm pretty sure they're glass like you were thinking. they just don't have that luster. cool ring tho :yes:

I've heard that some non-precious vintage jewelry is worth money, so don't throw it away or destroy it just because it isn't precious metal and stones. Take it to someone that knows about that kind of thing, like maybe an auctioneer or jeweler, and get it checked out.

With diamonds there is.

One if you can read newspaper print through a diamond it may be real. Also most diamonds have flaws. Lab create stones are perfect. That looks old. It could be worth thousands. Have it checked by a few folks. I can look up a link if you like. I just dont know the rules as to posting another site like a video site?

One if you can read newspaper print through a diamond it may be real. Also most diamonds have flaws. Lab create stones are perfect. That looks old. It could be worth thousands. Have it checked by a few folks. I can look up a link if you like. I just dont know the rules as to posting another site like a video site?

Sure. Post a link or PM me. Thanks.

Couple of clues as to whether your stones are quality or not:

1. If the setting is a cheapie, the stones are glass, paste, etc. No jeweler puts a quality stone in a cheapo crappy setting.

2. Got a hand lens? If not, get one. 10 power magnification is all that is needed. Look at reflected light off the surface of a cleaned stone..if you see any wear on the facets (flat surfaces) or the edges or joins of those facets or on the points where 3 or 4 facets meet, then it is either glass, paste, or a soft cheap diamond substitute, like quartz, etc. Diamond cannot be scratched by anything but another diamond or diamond dust. Any wear you see is due to mechanical abrasion by harder substances...since diamond is the hardest natural substance, it will never show wear. NEVER hammer a gemstone! Diamonds are hard but they are brittle and have 4 directions of preferred planar breakage, called cleavage, so this test is not only invalid but plain stupid...it dates from medival times when diamonds were thought to be indistructable by the uneducated general public. When in doubt, take it to a reputable jeweler who will examine it and tell you what it is..If it is good, then he will make an offer, if not, no offer.

I'm 99.9% sure that this is glass, but is there an easy way to tell for a beginner? I'm sure it's totally obvious to those who know the difference...

1) The setting looks cheap
2) The band has no markings like copper or something (definitely not marked as gold or silver, wrong color anyway)

I thought about pulling a hammer out and smashing it... :shock:

Try sandpaper if it leaves marks it fake
Or do the fog test if it fogs up from your breath it's fake this works with dimonds I guess it works with other gemstones too

Back
Top Bottom