In-line muzzle loader

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Didn't think I'd ever get one, but I'm thinking about getting an in-line muzzle loader.

Have a TC Hawken .50 cal, but need something I can shoot accurately a little further.

Have some nice bucks in my fields lately, and they get pretty scarce, right when bow season starts....

Saw a cheapo at Walmart today, 139 bucks, thought I could slap a 3 by 9 on it and have a decent chance at a 150+ yard shot.

Thoughts?

My thought would be......to practice with your Hawken more. It's more capable than you give it credit for.

If I go in-line I plan on using sabots. The Hawken looses accuracy quickly with patch and round ball.
It was never designed to shoot a 175gr round ball accurately. It was rifled to optimize the use of 370gr Maxi-balls. I've had my Hawken since new ('74), and I've killed more deer with it than any other long gun, including some spectacular shots in excess of 100yds offhand w/irons. At the Cripple Creek Rendezvous I even rang the 500yd bell with it. So trust me, it is very capable at range in the hands of someone willing to put some time into it.

IMO, inlines, saboted bullets, and pelleted propellant are all unnecessary gimmicks. Pyrodex is highly corrosive, and it stinks so badly I won't even allow a gun that's fired it in my house before thorough cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom