Pics of my home

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Right after I pretty much finished it, including paint and rear deck. 8-9 years later, the paint's a little faded, but keeps the rain off my head :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.21 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.21 PM.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.34 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.34 PM.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.48 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.48 PM.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.59 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.54.59 PM.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Solar panels and battery bank

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.55.26 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.55.26 PM.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.55.16 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 2.55.16 PM.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Okay, I can see then now.

Very very nice !!!!

Looks like a converted bus, really great job and I'm sure the solar power comes in handy !

Thanks! Not just any bus, but a school bus...:lol:

I made it taller. Last pic would be Dads 1st bus. Mom, Dad and 5 of us kids used to camp/travel in it. I'm the toe-head on the right.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.14.37 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.14.37 PM.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.16.47 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.16.47 PM.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.04.48 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 3.04.48 PM.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 132
Thanks! Not just any bus, but a school bus...:lol:

I made it taller. Last pic would be Dads 1st bus. Mom, Dad and 5 of us kids used to camp/travel in it. I'm the toe-head on the right.

Was that last pic from the 50's ?

So you did all that bus transformation work from scratch yourself ?

If so, that was quite an accomplishment and I'm sure it wasn't a one week job :lol:

Right after I pretty much finished it, including paint and rear deck. 8-9 years later, the paint's a little faded, but keeps the rain off my head :D

THAT is AWESOME!! Solar power, woodstove, move wherever and whenever you want. How long did it take to build it?

Was that last pic from the 50's ?

So you did all that bus transformation work from scratch yourself ?

If so, that was quite an accomplishment and I'm sure it wasn't a one week job :lol:

Yes (50's)

Yes, did it all myself. I've said I was a "tinkerer" :lol:

See below

THAT is AWESOME!! Solar power, woodstove, move wherever and whenever you want. How long did it take to build it?

I did remove the wood stove, which I hated to. I insulated so well, if I started a fire, even a small one, I had to open the windows, and that was when I was in Indiana, and well below freezing temps are normal trough the winter, and many sub-zero.

I probably spent 2 months just in the lay-out...no exposed plumbing/tanks, self-sufficient, weight distribution (4x165 pound batteries, and 75 gallon fresh water tank) etc. Then the biggest part of a year to build.

I'd actually planned on going out west for the winters while Dad was still alive (he wintered in Florida), but plans changed and I came south for the winters. After Dad passed, I moved down here, bought a small lot, and built a pole barn with laundry, shower, toilet, and a place to park the bus, as well as a shed. So these days, I'm not so mobile.

Yes (50's)

Yes, did it all myself. I've said I was a "tinkerer" :lol:

See below

I did remove the wood stove, which I hated to. I insulated so well, if I started a fire, even a small one, I had to open the windows, and that was when I was in Indiana, and well below freezing temps are normal trough the winter, and many sub-zero.

I probably spent 2 months just in the lay-out...no exposed plumbing/tanks, self-sufficient, weight distribution (4x165 pound batteries, and 75 gallon fresh water tank) etc. Then the biggest part of a year to build.

I'd actually planned on going out west for the winters while Dad was still alive (he wintered in Florida), but plans changed and I came south for the winters. After Dad passed, I moved down here, bought a small lot, and built a pole barn with laundry, shower, toilet, and a place to park the bus, as well as a shed. So these days, I'm not so mobile.

I researched pole barns in the past, if I remember correctly they seem like relatively lower cost than regular construction, here is a how-to link I just found - http://www.pole-barn.info/how-to-build-pole-barn.html

Gotta love being able to travel, detect and be home wherever you happen to be!

Sorry, for some reason I'd missed your post. For the most part, but (for me) traveling gets old after a while, especially when diesel was $4+/gal, and I average around 6 mpg.

I researched pole barns in the past, if I remember correctly they seem like relatively lower cost than regular construction, here is a how-to link I just found - http://www.pole-barn.info/how-to-build-pole-barn.html

I never want to see another board, nail, screw, piece of tin, romex, PEX, nail gun, treated post, fence board...... :laughing:

That is a great job. I really appreciate all the time and planning it takes to pull something like this off. Even more awesome is the fact that you are continuing something you did as a family growing up. That's priceless.

That is a great job. I really appreciate all the time and planning it takes to pull something like this off. Even more awesome is the fact that you are continuing something you did as a family growing up. That's priceless.

Thanks! Dads 2nd bus was a mid-60's, larger capacity. I remember going to D.C, Gettysburg, Pensacola, in it, I'm sure there were more, just can't recall, plus I was pretty young.

We camped and fished a lot too. We'd go to sleep in the bus, Dad worked 2nds, so when he got off at 11, Mom would have already packed, so he'd jump in the drivers seat, and us kits would wake-up 150 miles south, one of out favorite campgrounds. I've never slept so well, as I used to those nights.

Back
Top Bottom