Where was Rudy? Part quatre

Rudy

Admin
This is the continuation to "Where was Rudy Part Trois" found here.

After a short drive from the Standing Stones of Stenness, we arrived at The Ring of Brodgar,
another Neolithic henge on the Main (largest) island of Orkney, Scotland.

Most henges do not contain stone circles; Brodgar is a striking exception, ranking with Avebury
(and to a lesser extent Stonehenge) among the greatest of such sites.

Unlike similar structures such as Avebury, there are no obvious stones inside the circle,
but since the interior of the circle has never been excavated by archaeologists, the possibility
remains that wooden structures, for example, may have been present. The monument's age
remains uncertain. It is generally thought to have been erected between 2500 BC and 2000 BC,
and was, therefore, the last of the great Neolithic monuments built on the Ness.

The stone circle is 341 ft in diameter, and the third largest in the British Isles.
The ring originally comprised up to 60 stones, of which only 27 remained
standing at the end of the 20th century.
IMG_4344.jpg

After another short drive we arrived at Skara Brae, a stone-built Neolithic
settlement. We are talking stone age here folks.
IMG_4363.jpg

Consisting of eight clustered houses, it was occupied from roughly 3180 BC
to about 2500 BC.
:wow:
IMG_4357.jpg

In the winter of 1850, a severe storm hit Scotland, causing widespread damage.
In the Bay of Skaill, the storm stripped the earth from a large irregular knoll
known as "Skerrabra". When the storm cleared, local villagers found the outline
of a village, consisting of a number of small houses without roofs.
William Watt of Skaill, the local laird, began an amateur excavation of the site,
but after four houses were uncovered, the work was abandoned in 1868.
IMG_4360.jpg

Skara Brae's people were makers and users of grooved ware, a distinctive style
of pottery that appeared in northern Scotland not long before the establishment
of the village. The houses used earth sheltering, being sunk into the ground.
They were sunk into mounds of pre-existing prehistoric domestic waste known
as middens. The midden provided the houses with a stability and also acted as
insulation against Orkney's harsh winter climate. On average, each house
measures 430 sq ft in size with a large square room containing a stone hearth used for heating and cooking. Given the number of homes, it seems likely that no more than fifty people lived in Skara Brae at any given time.
IMG_4361.jpg
The dwellings contain a number of stone-built pieces of furniture, including
cupboards, dressers, seats, and storage boxes. Each dwelling was entered
through a low doorway that had a stone slab door that could be closed "by a bar
that slid in bar-holes cut in the stone door jambs". A sophisticated drainage
system was incorporated into the village's design. It included a primitive form of
toilet in each dwelling. These stone age folks were pretty sophisticated.

A bit of trivia: The site provided the earliest known record of the human flea
Pulex irritans in Europe. :lol:

Hope you are enjoying this series. Shortly, I will post my next hint as to my whereabouts.

Neat photos and descriptions, kids today (and us too :lol:) probably couldn't imagine living without electricity, indoor plumbing, grocery stores, cars, smartphones, pizza delivery and on and on :lol:

Great pics man, 430 sq feet is very livable, many modern small houses here are less than that! Not saying they are great, but you can fit in the basics in that sq footage...

Awesome excursion! I love the details, thanks :shock:

Neat photos and descriptions, kids today (and us too :lol:) probably couldn't imagine living without electricity, indoor plumbing, grocery stores, cars, smartphones, pizza delivery and on and on :lol:

Great pics man, 430 sq feet is very livable, many modern small houses here are less than that! Not saying they are great, but you can fit in the basics in that sq footage...

Thanks guys. Glad you are enjoying the saga. :grin:

Why would anybody back then take the time and effort to haul and stand up great big stones? I would think a fellow back then had more important things to do? Like trying to stay alive? Plus, once again, not a crane or loader in sight! This kind of stuff is mystifying...

Love those middens though...they make complete sense...efficient, safe and snug...a guy has to get underground a bit...

Why would anybody back then take the time and effort to haul and stand up great big stones? I would think a fellow back then had more important things to do? Like trying to stay alive? Plus, once again, not a crane or loader in sight! This kind of stuff is mystifying...

Love those middens though...they make complete sense...efficient, safe and snug...a guy has to get underground a bit...

My belief is that, except for structures with a military purpose (e.g. castles, the Great Wall of China, etc.), all these other massive structures were made based of religious beliefs (e.g. henges, cathedrals, etc.).

Enjoying for sure, truly amazing history. Just trying to envision those times and how folks lived is almost chilling in a way.

Thanks so much for posting.

Enjoying for sure, truly amazing history. Just trying to envision those times and how folks lived is almost chilling in a way.

Thanks so much for posting.

Glad you are enjoying it. A visit to these places do provide one with a different perspective. I am in constant awe at how much history is there to be experienced.

Back
Top Bottom