Silver Value

KAdiggs

So Ive been looking at silver bars (100oz) and there are a few types of bars for various prices. Which leads to a question, as long as the bar is .999 Silver does it really matter if its polished, poured or machine cut? There seems to be quit a bit of price difference between them.

I'd say wait until silver goes down some more and get it as cheap as you can, selling you will never recover the extra you paid for proof finishes...
Silver is dropping and who knows how low it will go...

So Ive been looking at silver bars (100oz) and there are a few types of bars for various prices. Which leads to a question, as long as the bar is .999 Silver does it really matter if its polished, poured or machine cut? There seems to be quit a bit of price difference between them.

For the most part premiums are much more consistent between types than 10 ouncers, the exception being older Englhards.

So to answer your question, no it doesn't matter how it was manufactured- as long as you are buying it 'right.' I would stick to one of the major and familiar refineries.

I guess i would say pay as little premium as you can, when the time comes to resell no one will pay a premium for proof or other finishes.

I've steered clear of 100 oz bars for the fear of counterfeits.

Not really relevant to the topic, but I don't worry much about that. At work we do Ultrasonics, X-Ray, Eddy Current and PMI (Positive materials Identification). I'd only buy from a known reputable dealer, even then the product is getting fully screened.

I guess i would say pay as little premium as you can, when the time comes to resell no one will pay a premium for proof or other finishes.

I guess that's where I was kind of going, if your only buying for the value of the silver as a long term investment why does the finish really matter?
I'm seeing these "silver stackers" some on YouTube couple guys at work, and my first thought is ,you idiot the money you spent paying for polishing. You could have bought more silver. Am I wrong or do I owe some idiots at work an apology?

Since you are wanting to purchase the silver as an "investment" rather than a "collectible", why would you consider paying extra money for a fancy finish??? Unless you are not really an investor, but a closet collector! :laughing::laughing:

KT does like the advice to hold off until the price of silver goes lower....so long as the stock market is riding high, like it is right now, then silver will stay low or go lower as the stock market rises....but knowing when the stock market may have a significant correction is nigh on impossible. And that is the time that silver (and gold) will jump in value.

One practical way to start with silver is just purchase what you can on a regular basis, and let it ride the ups and downs. If you consistently purchase, then you will get some at lows and some at mediums and some at highs...when do you plan on divesting yourself of it?? Sooner? or Later? Sooner might be the next 5 years, whereas later might be in 10 or 15 years or when you feel it has hit a reasonable high.

Investing in precious metals is a little like buying bank CDs, get a spread so if the interest goes up you will have some maturing you can reinvest and if the interest goes down, you got what was offered when you purchased them, like 1, 3, 5, and 7 years and then reivest as they come due. This is called layering in the investments and banking trade. Works unless the interest goes down and never comes back up, like has happened over the past 7-8 years. Pitiful interest indicates might be time to turn it over into precious metals.

I'd appreciate this thread staying on topic, thanks.

Since you are wanting to purchase the silver as an "investment" rather than a "collectible", why would you consider paying extra money for a fancy finish??? Unless you are not really an investor, but a closet collector! :laughing::laughing:

KT does like the advice to hold off until the price of silver goes lower....so long as the stock market is riding high, like it is right now, then silver will stay low or go lower as the stock market rises....but knowing when the stock market may have a significant correction is nigh on impossible. And that is the time that silver (and gold) will jump in value.

One practical way to start with silver is just purchase what you can on a regular basis, and let it ride the ups and downs. If you consistently purchase, then you will get some at lows and some at mediums and some at highs...when do you plan on divesting yourself of it?? Sooner? or Later? Sooner might be the next 5 years, whereas later might be in 10 or 15 years or when you feel it has hit a reasonable high.

Investing in precious metals is a little like buying bank CDs, get a spread so if the interest goes up you will have some maturing you can reinvest and if the interest goes down, you got what was offered when you purchased them, like 1, 3, 5, and 7 years and then reivest as they come due. This is called layering in the investments and banking trade. Works unless the interest goes down and never comes back up, like has happened over the past 7-8 years. Pitiful interest indicates might be time to turn it over into precious metals.

Since you did not apparently like the background info for KT's answer, He will answer it briefly...NO difference, why pay high premium for something you won't get back when you sell?

What your selling, is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. The finish on the bars could mean nothing to some, might mean everything to another, really depends on what someone wants to do with those bars they buy. A silver smith, wouldn't care about the finish on bars, since they won't be bars for long... If your investment is just going to be held, and sold to a refinery, the finish won't matter to them either. A polish finish might make a difference to someone who likes to admire or show off his hoard occasionally, or the buying and selling between other investors.

What your selling, is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. The finish on the bars could mean nothing to some, might mean everything to another, really depends on what someone wants to do with those bars they buy. A silver smith, wouldn't care about the finish on bars, since they won't be bars for long... If your investment is just going to be held, and sold to a refinery, the finish won't matter to them either. A polish finish might make a difference to someone who likes to admire or show off his hoard occasionally, or the buying and selling between other investors.

what he said,silver is silver. unless you like fancy

Never attempt investing in 100 oz bars. The problem is what if you buy it when silver is $16 and you pay melt which is $1600. What if silver drops 40 cents the next day and you have to pay your bills and you have to earn money by selling the 100 oz bar. That means you lose a ton of money. That's a strange scenario but very possible for some of us. I strongly recommend investing in twenty 5 oz bars or ten 10 oz bars.

Never attempt investing in 100 oz bars. The problem is what if you buy it when silver is $16 and you pay melt which is $1600. What if silver drops 40 cents the next day and you have to pay your bills and you have to earn money by selling the 100 oz bar. That means you lose a ton of money. That's a strange scenario but very possible for some of us. I strongly recommend investing in twenty 5 oz bars or ten 10 oz bars.
Good advice. I recommend paying off any debt before investing in PM's.

Back
Top Bottom