Deep sea fishing in upstate New York

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Since we have no sea's or oceans up here we have to improvise alittle bit. I bought a cheapie kite at Walmart today and when my son got home from school we got it up up and away. I took my fishing pole and reel and tied the fishing line to the kite, sure got it really high in the sky but man did it ever reel in hard. Now I know what it must feel like reeling in a big ole ocean fish. Tomorrow after school my son and I are adding another hundred feet or so of line. As you can see it doesn't take alot to enthuse me.

While that sounds like fun and I may have done something just like that, not sure if that's the safest thing to do. But then again, we are a lot more populated down here.

Hahaha! I did that with my son last summer. When the kite finally got stuck in a tree (about the third time) it was 3 houses away and across a road! It took a little bobbing and weaving to get over to it while reeling in the line around all the trees and houses. Hope you have better luck and are a little smarter then me and do it in a open field!

While that sounds like fun and I may have done something just like that, not sure if that's the safest thing to do. But then again, we are a lot more populated down here.
It would be safe up here, very few people in my town. I think that I will edit that part out of my original post don't want to give anyone any ideas that live in populated areas.

:roll::roll::roll: so flying a kite is now unsafe? so is driving in a car. riding in a car. bathing. showering. etc.

life is full of risks, but some are so slight as to be a non factor . a kite is dangerous? :laughing::laughing:

:roll::roll::roll: so flying a kite is now unsafe? so is driving in a car. riding in a car. bathing. showering. etc.

life is full of risks, but some are so slight as to be a non factor . a kite is dangerous? :laughing::laughing:

When I was a kid, we were flying a kite,(very high) in a park here in Rochester. It was near the main approach for our airport. I very large plane sucked the kite right into it's turbines and spit it out the back. True story. Freaked us out. Never flew one again. You never know.....:wow:

When I was a kid, we were flying a kite,(very high) in a park here in Rochester. It was near the main approach for our airport. I very large plane sucked the kite right into it's turbines and spit it out the back. True story. Freaked us out. Never flew one again. You never know.....:wow
It's a good thing that you let go of the string Curt ;):lol:.

I've done the kite/rod thing too, but coon fishing is much more fun!! Get a bone with some meat on it or a fish carcass and tie (no hook) your line to it. Leave it away from your porch and let out line as you go back to the porch. Wait for a coon to come (usually right after dark) and when he grabs the bait you can get a great short battle. A 15lb coon can really tear off some line and put up a good fight. They will eventually get away with the bone or grow tired of the game. We used to put the line over a tree branch and pull it up off the ground when the coon would go after it. He'd climb the tree and we'd put the reel in free-spool and let the bone drop. He'd go back down and we'd repeat a time or two before letting him grab it and run for the woods with the drag screaming like a big fish was on.

Hotdog on a line

I've done the kite/rod thing too, but coon fishing is much more fun!! Get a bone with some meat on it or a fish carcass and tie (no hook) your line to it. Leave it away from your porch and let out line as you go back to the porch. Wait for a coon to come (usually right after dark) and when he grabs the bait you can get a great short battle. A 15lb coon can really tear off some line and put up a good fight. They will eventually get away with the bone or grow tired of the game. We used to put the line over a tree branch and pull it up off the ground when the coon would go after it. He'd climb the tree and we'd put the reel in free-spool and let the bone drop. He'd go back down and we'd repeat a time or two before letting him grab it and run for the woods with the drag screaming like a big fish was on.

Fun for people and cats, lol.
Although, I wonder if people think of that picture of Al Capone fishing in his swimming pool when they see it.
HH,
John Morton

Back
Top Bottom