Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 PM
Elite Member

Default Finally got a decent CRH...Buffalo Nickels galore!

When the weather is too crappy to detect, I CRH if I have nothing else to do. I particularly like nickels because I come across a fair amount of war nickels and the occasional Buffalo. I hit my bank today at a branch I never go to because it was in the area I was shopping at and I had some checks from Christmas to deposit into the kids' accounts. I asked the teller if she had any nickels and she handed me over $10 worth of hand rolls. Two of the wrappers looked older but I didn't think much of it at the time. I just got done going through the nickels I got today and those two old rolls turned out to be quite nice! The first roll had 9 Buffalo's and 27 pre-1960 nickels. The second roll had 13 Buffalo's and 24 pre-1960 nickels. Most Jefferson's aren't that collectible but I do keep nice examples of pre-1960 coins and interesting varieties. There was a nicely toned AU 1951-D in there that will replace the worn one I have in my album. I also found a decent 1941 Large S. The Buffalo's consisted of a few decent dates. Unfortunately, the best date (1913-D) isn't worth anything because it looks like someone hit it with acid to pull the date off of it. There's also a slicked Type 1. I've attached a picture of the better dates I found. I think I might drive back there tomorrow and see if they have any more old rolls!

White's TREASUREpro

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

Really Cool! Those buffalos really are a beautiful coin. I even think they are good looking all red and green from decades in the dirt. What a great CRH find. Congrats.

IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 4, Gold: 1

Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Really Cool! Those buffalos really are a beautiful coin. I even think they are good looking all red and green from decades in the dirt. What a great CRH find. Congrats.
Thanks Stiffy! It was exciting to find so many of these at once but I think finding them in the dirt is just as exciting. I also think they look good coming out of the ground all crusty.

White's TREASUREpro

Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Royal Congrats....those are some great finds from nickel rolls! You captured an entire nickel tribe!

Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Smile

Nice rolls for sure!

I've gone through 32+ rolls and have only gotten 1 War Nickel plus a couple 2004-2005 Nickels that I need for my "Westward Journey" collection.

Keep it up!

Matthew 6:19-21
2018 Clad: 132 Coins ($9.10) ~ Totals: 380 Clad Coins ($24.85) ~ 1 Pre-Clad Coin ($0.01)
2 Foreign Coins ($0.06) ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 12-30-2017, 03:09 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Royal Congrats....those are some great finds from nickel rolls! You captured an entire nickel tribe!
Thanks KT! I have quite a ways to go before I come anywhere close to what the royal vaults hold!

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Nice rolls for sure!

I've gone through 32+ rolls and have only gotten 1 War Nickel plus a couple 2004-2005 Nickels that I need for my "Westward Journey" collection.

Keep it up!
Thank you! Good luck to you on future roll hunts. You'll find the good stuff when you least expect it!

White's TREASUREpro

Old 12-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Supporter

Over the last couple years I've dumped dozens of culled Buffalos, IH's and probably 1,000 1946-1958 Jefferson nickels that I've hoarded. I do that to spur future collectors. I've often wondered where they might end up.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Over the last couple years I've dumped dozens of culled Buffalos, IH's and probably 1,000 1946-1958 Jefferson nickels that I've hoarded. I do that to spur future collectors. I've often wondered where they might end up.
I also toss back any pre-1960 nickels I come across if they're not in any better shape than what's already in my albums. These two rolls helped fill a few more spots in the Buffalo album. I do keep all Buffalo's I come across...for now. Maybe my kids or grandkids will appreciate going through my collection someday. Or maybe they'll just dump everything at the bank after I'm gone.

White's TREASUREpro